LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
PhilOhio
User

Default Excellent Luger Bullet

I hope this is a little help to some of you other Luger reloaders.

For years I've lamented the fact that I couldn't find a lead bullet mold which would come close to matching the standard German shape used up through WW-II. A number of my 9mm cast bullets will "work", but nothing is quite as good as the original style (after they changed from the earliest truncated cone).

And of the ones which "work", none let you seat the lubrication groove(s) below the case mouth while also letting you seat the bullet out to maximum overall length, for reliable feeding.

I'm always mold hunting, as this overall length problem affects a number of my other 9mm firearms, also.

Perfect Mold - A couple of weeks ago I hit it. I don't know for how long it has been on the market, because I did not see it before, but Lee is making the absolute perfect 9mm Luger bullet mold. It is their stock #356-125-2R. That's a 125 grain bullet with a 2 bore diameter ogive.

It's really the cat's pajamas. You can seat the bullet out to the maximum 1.169" OAL if you want. I'm using 1.165". The single lube groove will be completely covered.

As with the original jacketed bullet, about 1/8" of the bore diameter of the lead will be exposed, and this almost touches the lands of the rifling. Of course, the lands were relieved during chamber reaming at the factory, to barely clear this part of the jacketed bullet, also. This is how it should be for best accuracy.

So using this mold, you can set your Luger ammo up to come as close to factory specs as possible, while using a lead bullet to reduce bore wear to almost nothing. The ammo just looks "right". And it really fits into the magazine perfectly.

Powder - Over the last couple months, I've experimented with a number of the common old standby pistol powders and lots of bullet styles; I have a few molds and reload for around 30 cartridges. But I'm really liking Winchester 231. It's close to Bullseye, but doesn't jam up old style cylinder powder measures. And it seems to be a favorite with some shooters of high-end centerfire, rapid fire match pistols in calibers like .32 S&W Long.

Load - I think I've got the combination. This new bullet feeds flawlessly with any powder, as long as there is enough recoil impulse to operate the action and as long as your magazine is correct. But this Lee bullet and 3.5 grains of W231 gives flawless functioning, good accuracy, and the impulse feels just right. It is easy on cases, and they fall right behind you.

.2 grains lighter and you will begin to get short cycles. .3 grains heavier on the charge, and you will begin to get a few reversed stovepipes and somewhat heavier recoil. 3.5 gr. of W231 is just right, and should be so for any Luger with the standard weight recoil spring for 9mm.

Even through a heavily pitted bore (about to be replaced), groups were 3" at 50'. Through a decent barrel, accuracy should be much better.

So if you are tired of ammo that is "almost" right, but not exactly right, you might try this Lee mold. It's aluminum, which is not my favorite mold metal, but it's $25.98 + shipping. That includes handles. If you don't like it, pitch it. But you'll like it. It casts a .357" bullet. That's an easy lube/size to .356". You could tumble lube them in Lee's Alox lube #90177 and shoot "as is", without sizing, in all your .38s or Lugers.

So I thought some of you might like to try this inexpensive ammo problem solving route. Now I've got thousands of rounds of loaded 9mm ammo...on which I wish had this bullet, but don't.

Oh yes, Lee's got a nice website where you can browse all this stuff, or order directly. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../bullmol2.html
The #90309 double-cavity mold is part way down the page.

Have fun.
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to PhilOhio for your post: