LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 02-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts
Thumbs up Jackpot!

As many of you know, my collecting interest is Imperial era Lugers. One particularly elusive example has always been the 1913 Commercial with stock lug and grip safety. They fall in the 71,000 serial number range, and as late as 1991 in Jan Stillâ??s â??Imperial Lugersâ?, only two had been recorded and he estimated only 50 produced. Kenyon states that as many as 1000 may have been made, which was a 1969 estimate based primarily on the then known high and low serial numbers.
At any rate, they are rather scarce.

Today mine arrived! I was prepared for the worst since the seller described it as only about 90% original finish. It was a GI bring-back in a cut-down commercial Luger holster. You always expect the rating to be exaggerated. When I unwrapped the gun, I found that it is virtually new with only barely discernable wear on the left side of the muzzle band, slight brightening of the leading edge of the receiver rails, and the side plate hump has a nice even holster wear pattern around the edges. The numbers are crisp and sharp with the proper halo around the barrel and receiver Crown/N proofs and around the barrel serial number. The straw is deep and even with only slight lightening at the edges. It is a beautiful example of a rare gun, and I am really pleased to add it to my collection. Pictures will follow, hopefully some time next week.

Almost anticlimactic, but still exciting, is the arrival also today of a hard to find, out-of-print near mint copy of â??Bewaffnung und Ausr?¼stung der Schweizer Armee seit 1817â? by Christian Reinhart and Michael am Rhyn (last printed in 1975). It is the second volume â??Faustfeuerwaffen II Selbstladepistolenâ?. It is a very well photo illustrated resource on early Swiss Army self-loading handguns and has wonderful pictures of early prototype semi-automatic pistols, to include the 1898 Test Luger, plus Bergmann-Schmeisser, Bergmann, Mannlicher, Roth, Mauser and other one-of-a-kind experimental pistols.

Tonight there is a happy camper in El Paso.
Unread 02-14-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Ron! I think that is so cool! How nice to get something you have wanted like that.
Was the hunt long and difficult?
How did you hear about this new and rare one? Did it walk into your hands, or did you ask, plead and beg for it from a friend

Well done!
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 04:41 AM   #3
Russ
User

Ron that is a great find. Congrats
Unread 02-15-2003, 06:59 AM   #4
drbuster
User

Ron, Fantastic find! How do you get such rare pieces? I was impressed with previous posts of your 1903 acquisition. Does this 1913 have a hold open device? Looking forward to photos. Does anyone know of any 1914 commercials? Any chance of seeing this great piece in March at the Reno show?
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Ed - The hunt was long and difficult, it took me all these years to find one. I have seen only one other, which was a couple of years ago at the Tulsa show. Unfortunately, someone had already purchased it before I found out about it.

Herb - Yes, it has a hold open device, original not added. I have a 1914 Commercial in the 73,000 range, just about identical to the 1913 except no grip safety so the sear bar is relieved for the thumb safety rather than the grip safety angle. They make a nice pair.

Doubt seriously that I will make the Reno show - too far to drive and Luger purchases have impacted the travel money. It comes down to two choices, go to see the nice Lugers or stay home and buy them.
Unread 02-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
wterrell
User

Congrats, Ron. Nice to hear that your diligence paid off.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
Navy
RIP

I am very, very pleased that you have made such a wonderful score. Congratulations and best wishes!

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Russ, Wes & Tom,
Thanks for the congrats. I feel very fortunate.