LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-18-2002, 08:36 AM   #1
JFP
User

Question Should I shoot?

Hello All,
I'm in the process of purchasing my first Luger. It's a Mauser coded 42, dated 1940. It has 97% original finish, excellent bore, grips and matching numbers except for the mag.

I'd like to occasionally fire it. How real is the possibility of some numbered part breaking? Should I invest in one of the kits available which replaces the small numbered parts just for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

JFP
JFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,290 Times in 426 Posts
The possibility of breaking numbered parts is very real. Do a subject search on "Parts Breakage" and "Broken Parts" for information for a survey which I am completing for the FAQ.

I don't want to imply that Lugers are fragile (they are not) but the possibility exists and will seriously devalue the gun as you describe it.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 12:00 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
JFP,

There is really only one deciding factor. Are you concerned with devaluing the gun or did you buy it to shoot it and keep it as long as you are alive? If not, and you intend to sell it or leave it in your will to someone to whom it's original condition will matter, then don't shoot it.

If you intend to keep it and enjoy it to it's fullest extent... then shoot it. If something breaks, repair it and shoot it some more.

Lugers were manufacturered for the explicit purpose of firing ammunition at the desire of the owner, there were not manufactured to sit in glass cases, but the passage of time creates these types of paradoxes... If you owned a 1907 Ford in running condition would you leave it up on blocks in your garage or warehouse as long as you are alive? Or would you take pleasure in driving it in parades and exhibitions... You could always keep it on a trailer and uncover it, or would driving it give you more pleasure?

Decisions, Decisions... life is full of them.

BTW, In the future, Please post your questions in only one forum, that way you only have to go to one place to find the answers and all answers are in one place for other to read.

Welcome to the Luger forum John...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote