LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-18-2001, 02:58 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default Need Help Identifying Holster

I have an unusual Luger holster which I would like identified. The front strap appears to be of police configuration in that it is attached to the lower part of the holster and snaps over a brass button on the flap. The back has a nice, clear eagle swastika over WaA 145, and a sharp 1937 date. Instead of a maker's name there is a large script letter "L" intertwined with a smaller script letter "B" which is a marking I have never seen before(I may be wrong on what the letters are, but they do look like an L and a B). The holster is in good shape except for some loose stitching on the flap, and I will be putting it up for sale soon, but would like to put a name to it. Anyone know what I have?

Unread 03-18-2001, 04:57 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Holster

Aaron,

From your description, it does sound like a Police holster. Prior to about 1939/1940 time, the manufacturer stamped his name on the back of the holster and after this a code. This was for the miltary. The Police holsters normally had the name stamped after this time frame. The Waffenamt stamp, WaA/145 was the inspector assigned to Karl Barth and Deutsche Lederwarkstatten GmbH. It sounds like yours is the later manufacturer. These holsters normally have the letters "DWLP" stamped. It is possible that they only stamped 2 letters as you described, and could they be a "D" intertwined with an "L"? I feel that yours is a standard Police holster by Deutsche Lederwarkstatten GmbH.

Marvin

Unread 03-18-2001, 05:11 PM   #3
bill m
User

Marvin,

You are confusing military holsters with Police holster and they are totally different. Police holsters have the strap running upwards and do not have a buckle closure. Also, No police holsters have a WaA mark on the back, as that is a military inspectin mark and not a police. This is a very odd holster in my opinion with the police closure and a WaA mark. It is not a common issue police holster, that's for sure!

Unread 03-18-2001, 10:34 PM   #4
Aaron
Banned

The letters are definitely a large "L" (about 3/4") encompassing a small "B". Will try to take some photos and hope we can solve this mystery.

Unread 03-18-2001, 11:48 PM   #5
Aaron
Banned

Let's see if I did it correctly:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...222&p=44141853
Unread 03-18-2001, 11:57 PM   #6
Aaron
Banned

Overall front view of holster:

http://http://albums.photopoint.com/...222&p=44141851
Unread 03-18-2001, 11:58 PM   #7
Aaron
Banned

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Holster (EOM)

Unread 03-19-2001, 10:49 AM   #11
tom heller

Aaron, I agree with Johnnie P. that your 1937 military holster has been modified, probably in the field for quicker opening. I would interpete the letters on the back as "CL" rather LB because of the curved back of what you are calling a B. CL could be Cottbusser Lederwarenfabrik, later know as Curt Vogel or fuq located in the city of Cottbus.

Unread 03-19-2001, 04:34 PM   #12
Aaron
Banned

It look like we probably know about as much as we can determine on this holster, and I am deeply grateful for all your valuable opinions. One last thing, the script letters were examined under ultraviolet light, and are now believed to be "LR."