LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
jlh820
User

Default Trying to id my P08

Hi, I just joined this forum so that I can try and figure out more about the Luger I bought last year.

I bought it at a gun show from a private dealer for $1,000. I appears to be in excellent condition with good blueing and straw colors all where appropriate. There is a small bit of pitting on the outside right side of the barrel, but the inside looks pristine.

It cleaned up very nicely. When I got it, it was full of dirt, as in earth. Maybe that protected it... dunno.

It's a 9mm with a 6" barrel with the dorsal fin gold or brass looking dot on the front sight and a flat with a V for the rear.

The top of the toggel is marked DWM. It is a new style, locking and has no other marks.

The thumb safety is marked GESICHERT in the upper position. It is engaged (safe) in the down position with GESICHERT showing.

It does not have a grip safety.

The magazine is shiney metal with a wood base.

On the left side of the receiver is the Crown/N mark.

All parts are marked with matching serial numbers. The front of the chamber has the full 4 digit serial number of 7490. Underneath the serial number is what appears to be a cursive capital letter "N". The rest of the parts are marked with just 20 digits "90", including the bottom of the barrel.

The right side of the receiver is marked in blocked capital letters "GERMANY".

The extractor is marked "GELADEN".

There are no other markings on the gun.

My best guess is that it is a 1914 or 1920 Commercial Navy model. But according to the Standard Catalog of Luger, the serial number range is wrong, since they list it as in the 44000 to 71500 range.

Here's a couple of pictures...

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!
jlh820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi, The Navy model would have a navy rear sight.

This is most likely a DWM commercial that was re-barreled with the longer barrel. The front sight is not factory.

Is it marked "Germany" or "Made in Germany" anywhere?

Post some closeups of all the externally visible markings.

Marc
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
jlh820
User

It is marked GERMANY on the right side of the receiver. Here are some more pictures of markings.

Crown/N

GERMANY

Serial #

Bottom of barrel

Chamber underside

More serial #

Top rear and rear sight

Toggle marking

Bottom of magazine, serial doesn't match, wooden bottom with a + marked on it.

Thumb safety
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,096 Times in 1,676 Posts

It is a 1920 "Alphabet" commercial that has been nicely rebarreled (presumably 9mm) with an aftermarket front sight, either King or Marbles. Should be a dandy target shooter.
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
jlh820
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
It is a 1920 "Alphabet" commercial that has been nicely rebarreled (presumably 9mm) with an aftermarket front sight, either King or Marbles. Should be a dandy target shooter.
Darn! Oh well, I bought it because I wanted it, not because I'm a luger collector. They're just one of the coolest guns ever made, IMO.

And you're right! It is an amazing shooter! I've got 3 other 9mm semi-autos and it keeps right up with the best of them. And they're all new!

How can you tell the front sight is aftermarket? It looks the same to me, except I don't know about the gold or brass insert. Is that the difference?
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
jlh820
User

Re: Front sight

From what I can find on the Internet, maybe a Marbles front sight. I couldn't find anything from King that looked like it.

Thanks!
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Although not as collectable as others, that one looks like an absolutely top-shelf shooter. Pick up a couple of Mec-Gar mags, and have fun!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You purchased a good looking 1920 DWM with a 6in bbl. I think that you did well, and I would have no problem with it if it were in my safe. I enjoy shooting my Lugers, and feel like you have a great shooter. Just stick with normal power ammo....no NATO or +P +P+ stuff.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
jlh820
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Although not as collectable as others, that one looks like an absolutely top-shelf shooter. Pick up a couple of Mec-Gar mags, and have fun!
dju
I does really shoot great. The trigger is amazing. Nice and crisp and hardly any travel. I haven't gauged it yet, but I'm guessing somewhere around a 4# pull. I picked up a couple of new mags the same day I bought it. I doubt the old mag still works, but I want to keep it as good as it still is. It's from the right time period, I think, but it's a Swiss model mag.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
You purchased a good looking 1920 DWM with a 6in bbl. I think that you did well, and I would have no problem with it if it were in my safe. I enjoy shooting my Lugers, and feel like you have a great shooter. Just stick with normal power ammo....no NATO or +P +P+ stuff.
Thanks, when I bought it I knew extremely little about Lugers. It was pretty dirty when I bought it, but cleaned up great. The guy wanted $1,100 for it and I offered him $1,000 cash and the deal was done.

I stopped by a nearby table at the show and purchased a Bristish WWI bayonet as a gift for my SIL. I was talking to the guy there and told him what I'd just bought and he was trying to tell me I got ripped off. He had a Luger 4" for $4,000. I think it had a period correct holster, but there's no way I'm spending that much on a collectable gun without knowing more about it.

The book I bought, Standard Catalog of Luger, was really informative. I'd searched the Internet since I bought it, but could find very little.

Regarding loads, I don't shoot any high powered 9mm's through it, in fact I've only shot it once. But I'm starting to reload 9mm and I'm guessing a minimum powder load would probably make it happy. Though, it worked great with the others. I think they were S&B 115g FMJ.

Thanks, everyone for the info! I think I probaby paid market value for it with the modified barrel. According to the book, I should knock off half for modifications. I don't plan on selling it, but does that sound about right?
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

You did pay at the higher end of pricing for a shooter, but I expect what you received is a value at that price.

G.T. (Gerald) on this board can repair your magazine. It will cost more than a new MegGar but may be worth doing.

I believe your frame dates to 1924.

Enjoy your Luger!

Marc
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

If it is a company made longer barrel, such as Pacific Arms etc, then $1000 was reasonable. a 6 inch barrel in 9mm and installation is around $200-$300 / and thats a nice length. See the #90 on the barrel, it matches the serial number, that said, it is not in the normal spot, I just find it interesting that its marked that way, a completely aftermarket likely would not be marked.

See the review of 'Standard Catalog of Lugers" here on the forum - Aaron wrote a good book, but there are errors in it.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
jlh820
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
You did pay at the higher end of pricing for a shooter, but I expect what you received is a value at that price.

G.T. (Gerald) on this board can repair your magazine. It will cost more than a new MegGar but may be worth doing.

I believe your frame dates to 1924.

Enjoy your Luger!

Marc
Great! Thanks for the info! I was wondering what year it was. I knew it was pre 1930, but that's about as close as I could come!

Many thanks!
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
jlh820
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
If it is a company made longer barrel, such as Pacific Arms etc, then $1000 was reasonable. a 6 inch barrel in 9mm and installation is around $200-$300 / and thats a nice length. See the #90 on the barrel, it matches the serial number, that said, it is not in the normal spot, I just find it interesting that its marked that way, a completely aftermarket likely would not be marked.

See the review of 'Standard Catalog of Lugers" here on the forum - Aaron wrote a good book, but there are errors in it.
Thanks, I'll have to look up the review.

Regarding the 90 on the barrel, Aaron made a big deal about whether or not something was stamped then blued, or vice-versa. This looks to me like it was stamped, then blued. The finish on the gun seems to match. But I guess the killers are the sights not matching up to something production.

Does anyone know if Luger ever made a front sight with a gold/brass inlay? It's about 1/4" long and the dot is tiny. I never even noticed it until I got it out in the sun yesterday to take pictures.
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,096 Times in 1,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh820 View Post
Does anyone know if Luger ever made a front sight with a gold/brass inlay? It's about 1/4" long and the dot is tiny. I never even noticed it until I got it out in the sun yesterday to take pictures.
If you mean did the original manufacturer (DWM/BKIW) make such a front sight, the answer is no. It is an aftermarket sight.
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I also am a reloader. I believe that you will find that minimum powder loads in 9mm will not cycle the toggle. Of course, a lot depends on what mainspring your Luger has installed. I might suggest starting at mid level of powder, then go 0.1gr both up and down, to see which way works the best. Most Luger reloaders strive for a load that is accurate, and the least powder and still have it function 100%. Good luck.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Your broken wooden bottom magazine is not Swiss but a standard Army WW1 magazine. The + stamped into it means it was a spare.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote