LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
sdmark777
User

Default SIG AMT Advice

Hi all,
I am on the fence about something I have been pondering for some time. Thought I would bounce my idea off you guys.

I have this new in the box, unfired outside of the factory, semi-auto SIG AMT .308 rifle. These rifles are scarce and hard to come by. New in the box is very rare. Mine was imported by SIG, distributed by Osbornes and transferred to me in 1986 when I had an FFL. I have seen sales of these up to $20K and I would say currently maybe $25K for new in the box. I have kept this investment rifle all this time never intending to part with it. Back in the 80's when I was on the hunt for an AMT, I kept getting beat out until I scored this one. But, especially now, I can not shoot it with out severely lowering its value. (I do not shoot my Lugers either. But that's different, because, well, they are Lugers!) It is nice to have and look at, but it has advanced to a collectors level beyond mine. So, I now live in the free state of Arizona. I have always wanted an original live MP40. They are about $18k to $25K + depending on if they are tube guns or original C & R's. Seems like machine gun dealers only occasionally have MP40's for sale and I have seen only one at a local gun show. So I thought maybe I could trade the AMT for an MP40? Best scenario perhaps. Hard to find an MP40 let alone an MP40 owner who wants this AMT. Or I sell it, which could take time to find that level of buyer. Once sold, I have to find an available MP40. What if I can't or they increase too far in price by the the time I find a good one. I would then be stuck with out an MP40 or my AMT. Then there are the worries associated with the NFA transfer, as sellers want money up front and there is a lot of fraud. I just found two machine gun sellers online who are total scam artists. I do not need to sell the AMT for any other reason than it would fund my getting an MP40, which otherwise I can not afford. Any thoughts or comments? Should I just go for it and list the AMT?

Thanks, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMTa.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	87836  

Name:	AMT10.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	87837  

Name:	AMT3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	87838  

sdmark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 12-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #2
gunnertwo
User

That is a Grail rifle to me. Had a chance to get one several years ago at 6K, had to pass. Now those are in the unobtainium category. Values take much of the fun away, like you state. Shoot to enjoy but loose the value of an unfired example. I'd say go for what you want more. You've had this and enjoyed the hunt for it and the pleasure of the achieving. We only go around once, so say you've had it and go for the next Grail.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post:
Unread 12-22-2023, 11:17 PM   #3
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

Tough question to answer. If it were me, the AMT would have made many trips to the range long ago. But, now you have a gun you don't want to shoot. I'd post it on GB with the starting bid at the lowest I'm willing to accept, and pay the buck or two for the "view counter" option so you can see how many people are looking versus how many are putting it on their "watch list".
I'd say there is no point in dying with a bank full of money. Spend and enjoy it while you are here. I just ponied up for a live Bren mark I, after I bought an MG34 last year. They both have holes in the end of the barrel where bullets come out. That's why I have them. They are a blast to shoot. You only go around once. Buy what you want. Don't compromise or settle for less.
In the end, only your opinion matters to you. Mine not so much.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 12-23-2023, 11:12 AM   #4
sdmark777
User

Thanks Gunnertwo and Gunbugs for your thoughts. If I got an MP40 I would definitely shoot it. I already have a barrel and bolt I could swap out when I shoot it, so as not to risk damaging matching parts. If I sold the AMT and a good MP40 did not come along or prices soar, I could of course use the money to buy some very nice Lugers! Yeah, that could be a problem. Having that kind of money from the AMT sale burning a hole in my pocket while waiting to find an MP40 would take some will power for sure.
Unread 12-23-2023, 04:02 PM   #5
Kiwi
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
I just ponied up for a live Bren mark I, after I bought an MG34 last year. They both have holes in the end of the barrel where bullets come out. That's why I have them. They are a blast to shoot. You only go around once. Buy what you want. Don't compromise or settle for less.
In the end, only your opinion matters to you. Mine not so much.
Military training included blindfolded field stripping the Bren.
And then reassembling in 45 seconds. So we could do it in the dark. Key was in careful placement of the pieces when stripping.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 12-24-2023, 07:54 PM   #6
pauly
User

That sure is a beautiful rifle.
pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to pauly for your post:
Unread 12-24-2023, 09:40 PM   #7
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

IMO You have a most desirable NIB Factory fired semi-auto SIG AMT .308 rifle.
I admire your restraint because I would have fired it many many times by now.
By having restraint you have in your collection one of the rarest guns in the world.
If you sell it - it would leave a hole in your heart UNLESS it accomplished your goal of obtaining an MP40 but the MP40 would not be in the same condition of the gun you have now ... ME I would keep the SIG and wait for the MP40 to come along ... I am a firm believer that if you're meant to have one it will come to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3S8YvIVK2g
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 12-25-2023, 09:27 AM   #8
Eugen
User

Mark, what a fantastic firearm. We are all jealous beyond belief. Based on your post I have to believe that you want to shoot that Sig. Shoot it! Don't feel guilty for enjoying it beyond simply looking at it. Others have said it already and I'm just concurring. You have our permission. You want to shoot it, so do it and tell us about the experience. Please give us a range report with pics.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 12-25-2023, 03:24 PM   #9
sdmark777
User

Thanks Eugen for your support. I have a Colt single action army I bought new in 1996 for $785.00. I put it away and never touched it. In 2018 my interest in shooting an SAA peeked. I was going to buy a less expensive SAA to shoot. Then after weighing things out, I decided to shoot my new in the box Colt SAA even though it had more than doubled in value. I had decided I wanted to shoot an actual Colt SAA and because I bought it way back when, it still was worth a lot more than I paid after shooting it. I have put 140 rounds through my Colt and it is still like new, just not new in the box. I could do the same with my AMT and shoot it. But I won't. The AMT new in the box is rare and Colt SAA's are plentiful. The time to shoot the AMT would have been back in the 1980's, not today after all the appreciation in value. If I got a used AMT I would shoot the hell out of it. So no longer an option for me to shoot this AMT. My decision here is if I should sell/trade the AMT or not, to get what I want and can not otherwise afford. I can not afford an MP40 with out sacrificing the AMT or a whole lot of other guns. Decisions, decisions....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	87851  

The following member says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post: