LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
MACE_Hardware
User

Default Sarco Imports - Any Prior Discussion?

Hi, newbie here.

I was wondering if I could get some links to discussions about the Sarco Luger imports. I'm interested in where they came from, people's opinion on them and so forth.

I have two Sarco imports I bought about 20 years ago.

The first is a Mauser from WWII era. It is all matching numbers except the rear toggle pivot pin is mis-matched. Finish coverage is like it's unused but there is pitting under the finish so it must be a reblue. Barrel condition is fair at best with strong rifling but plenty of pitting. It looks like it was rebuilt and never used after rebuild.

The second is supposed to be a WWI era DMW and it is all mismatched SN parts but looks to be an arsenal rebuild. It's finish is used but with pretty good coverage. The barrel is actually a bit better than the Mauser but I think it was replaced. This one looks like it had some use after rebuild.

Both have Nazi stampings as well as the Sarco stamp on the right side. Both have "plastic" grips that are the same.
MACE_Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

These Lugers are referred to as either VoPo or Russian capture. Both types were captured by the Russians during WW2. Both types went through arsenal rebuilds, where parts where replaced, (many force matched), guns were dip blued as needed and stored. The VoPo guns later went onto service with the East German police, (Volk's Polizie). VoPo guns usually retained their wooden grips. Legend has it that those guns stored by the Russians used a preservative that ruined the wood grips, so plastic grips, either with longitudinal cuts or with shallow checkering and a bull's eye near the center where substituted. Most serial numbers are preceded by an "X" and other marks are frequently "x'd out.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
MACE_Hardware
User

Yes, both of mine have the grips you describe. My "WWI DMW" is rebuilt just as you describe with many (or most) of the matching numbers XX out. The "WWII Mauser" on the other hand looks to my untrained eye to be pretty much pristine except for the replacement grips and the pitted barrel.

I've chosen the "WWI DMW" as an occasional shooter while leaving the "WWII Mauser" as a safe queen. Would you agree that is a good plan? Most of the rounds through the shooter are by guests who were raised on soulless plastic "Perfection" pistols and get a real charge out of shooting the legend.
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
alanint
User

Shoot both, it will not harm either gun's value.
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

There is a growing niche for these pistols among collectors. I think they are quite desirable in that their provenance continued after WW II. Whether they were carried by rear echelon troops or simply stored for future use, they still were considered serviceable if required. Some made their way to other countries (Israel for instance).

They make good shooters, because as noted, most were fitted with new barrels and any worn parts replaced.

There does seem to be two finishes; one is a tar-like coating that is difficult to remove, and the other is a dipped bluing without buffing. Those are the nicest ones IMO...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I think it would be interesting to see some posted photos.
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Well, actually those are two different shipments.

VOPO is post war, so it is unlikely the Russians captured them during WW2 - does not mean they did not help the East Germans sell them later.

But Russian guns, with or without the X have certain grips on them and generally stored for 50+ years

Vopo were refurbished for border guards, internal security, etc and were used during the russian occupation - their grips are different looking than the russian grips

Story is that the russian guns were either dipped in a preservative and then stored in oil, thus ruining any wood grips or these grips were swapped out with these plastic grips either before storage or after but before sale

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
alanint
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Well, actually those are two different shipments.

VOPO is post war, so it is unlikely the Russians captured them during WW2 - does not mean they did not help the East Germans sell them later.
Ed, the Country of East German was formed out of the areas of the former Nazi Germany that were captured and under Soviet control. ALL ordnance within this area would have had to have initially been under Soviet control, by definition. I think it is fair to say that the East German police was supplied out of captured Russian stocks, otherwise, where would these pistols have come from?
I doubt the Russians would have allowed any stray ordnance to sit around in areas they controlled.
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

researched books say:

Handguns of the Armed organizations of the Soviet Occupation zone and German Democratic Republic, by Dieter H. Marschall

Luger pistols available in the GDR for the most part reworked examples taken from former Wehrmacht (WWII) depots. - etc, sent through repair, etc. .. 10,000 guns were refinished as needed from cannibalized guns, etc....

Page 4 - 5

VOPO guns (Lugers, P38's and PPKs) are separate category from Russian captured guns.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
alanint
User

We are splitting hairs. All those Wehrmacht depots were under Soviet control. I agree that they are different categories and were sourced differently, but the Soviets oversaw it all.
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

I've chosen the "WWI DMW" as an occasional shooter while leaving the "WWII Mauser" as a safe queen. Would you agree that is a good plan?

Not really. DWM pistols are more delicate and prone to breakage. Mauser strengthened some parts like the extractor hook to prevent malfunctions. The changes Mauser made were for a reason..They had a list of common breaks/malfunctions and went about fixing them.

If I had the choice you have..I would shoot the Mauser and leave the DWM in the safe.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Zorba
User

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Zorba for your post:
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #13
MACE_Hardware
User

I must say it is refreshing to have so many comments telling me to go shooting. On the M1911 board I frequent, shooting the old iron is tantamount to a sin. In fairness, there is a whole world of modern manufacture 1911s to shoot if you need to scratch that itch while the modern P08 is (apparently) non-existent.
Unread 01-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

It's not always that way around here...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #15
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

MACE, we draw a distinction between collectable Lugers and those that that have less collector interest.

Collectable Lugers are valued much higher than ones that have value as a shootable firearm. Those values include both historic, and financial aspects.

I have a couple of Lugers that I use for shooting. They are mechanically excellent and have great bores. One is mismatched (receiver and cannon from one gun, and frame from another), the other is all matching, but with a pitted finish. If something breaks on either of these, it won't be a great loss, and all I have to do is repair the damage.

In an all matching high original finish unmodified Luger (basically like it left the factory), breaking a numbered part drops the financial value 40% and the historic value 100%.

Marc
Unread 01-25-2014, 03:34 AM   #16
MACE_Hardware
User

Yes, that makes sense.

I'm at a point in life where I don't really care about monetary value (that's something my heirs can worry about), but I do care about history and leaving a legacy for others to enjoy.

Much respect to the conservators of high grade pistols, but that's not how I enjoy my hobby.

To make a muscle car analogy, I'm the sort who would rather have a COPO clone and race it than to have a irreplaceable original and be afraid to let it see sunlight. My imperfect arsenal rebuilds will provide me and many guests a great deal of fun and historical insight.

You lugerforum members have already elevated my understanding of the history, and I thank you.