LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
alvin
User

Default A Online Auction Bolo

First, here is the gun link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=135991706

I am interested in this gun because its s/n is only 7 away from an instance that I have, and it looks good from pictures. I contacted the seller and scheduled a convinient time for both of us (today) to visit him so I can have a hand-on looking on this one. Of course, if it's good and he could lower the price .... one panel mismatches, that's very unfortunately on this gun.

The gentleman showed me the gun. It's in wonderful shape. Original salt blue, one area in the middle of the barrel and the heel of the magazine well lose a little bit blue, very common on this type of gun. Excellent bore, no pits, no rust, mirror bright with strong rifling. And, as said in the ad, one panel is numbered 2 away from the the gun. It's interesting to notice the color of the mismatched panel is actually slightly light than the other correct panel, I would think that's a good sign of being screwed up by a previous owner, instead of two matching guns, now there are two mismatched. The bottom edge of rectangle panel on the left of the gun is not straight, but that did look like a factory minor.

Although I did not buy the gun, today's weather is wonderful, I have not visited Vermont in many years and it's a great oppertunity to enjoy beautiful roadside views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green-Mountain-2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	7650  

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
thegundude
User

That's a beautiful gun, Alvin. Too bad about the grip. It might be worth the money he's asking if it was right. I've been looking for a nice gun and stock combo but nice examples are hard to come by these days that haven't been boosted. :/

Nice shot of the Vermont skyline, though. Good use of lighting too...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
alvin
User

s/n block 714xxx has 1000 guns, I've seen only three of them so far. There should be more in good shape.

71411x (x = 9, 8, or 3, hard to read on small pix) on page 103 of Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, 3rd Ed. Below the picture text "Courtesy Gale Morgan". The hammer was reworked.

714235, the one in the above GB link. Great gun except one MM panel.

714242, all matching, some rust on grip.

Another one shown in E&P page 140, s/n is not very far away, 713307, Shanghai Police.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote