LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 01-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #221
Rick W.
User

One would surmise that lubrication for the Luger, new or old, is most usually based upon experiences or pure timeline of availability. Does not have to be "my" way or the highway routine. I believe is always good to listen to other folks' experiences in whatever, always can take it or leave it; but at least you were lucky enough to see such once and maybe even think for yourself.

As a little side note to the early Luger lubes mentioned, the guys there did not have patches, always thought that was kinda marvelous.

Anytime one purchases something unique, there is always different forms of risk. I remember a fine Burmese star ruby buy, that I wish I had never seen; lost my Penny's T-shirt on that one. Guess we all have developed a sense of instant gratification that must be met no matter what, I am sadly no different. I try to remember the pot and the kettle routine.

I was thinking of who builds 45 Lugers, now and back when. Of course, the originals. Kinda hard to procure now for some reason or other. Here in America, I think of Wyatt and Martz; both kinda similar to the original, but in other senses, not really. Wyatt had no magazine, Martz did an artful use of two Lugers sawn carefully and welded, had a mago. There was a gentleman on the west coast that made a original looking 45acp Luger, but no more, and not too many. Not too many applies to all the above I think.

In Europe, Nedbal in Austria made a nice 45 ACP faithful to the original. I hear that he has retired(rumor on my part) and is partnering with Werle. Werle has made some 45 acp pistols and carbines in varying styles. I have always admired Werle's innovation.

I reckon if we did not have the maker of the US model, we might still be shooting our 50cal ball bearing slingshots with 45 Luger engraved on the side. I suspect that a lot of disgruntlement is from the flippers,..... got to have a timeline to make the markup because they never use their own money, always on loan. I suspect too that some are bought by true Luger lovers or even shooters.........just for the experience of firing such a magnificent handgun. I know it hard to have your 6-10K out in the blue with nothing in the hand, but as you well know, tis a risk with small time shops..........however good or honest they may be. I have been on lists for firearms, where you had to know the family, be a friend of a friend; or just walking with the right guy at the right time; in order to place an order for a specific firearm. I wish I was on the list for the American model, but time is too short now.

Life is full of adventures, take a little time to enjoy them; sometimes the adventure turns out and you have an event happen that will make you smile.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 03-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #222
2bnag
User

I have been using white lithium grease for a lot of years. Started out using it on my Garand when I read that it was developed as a water proof grease for the Garand. Hard to beat it...Bill
2bnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #223
2bnag
User

anybody heard from Eugene?
Unread 03-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #224
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thx for all the input on lubrication options, although I tend to side with Don regarding oil being sufficient. Here in Arizona, there's not much worry about corrosion so I store all my Lugers with just a light oil on the rails and the trigger pivot. Never had an issue shooting any of them. and I've fired a hundred or more.
Regarding Eugene's Lugers; I went over to GT's place this morning and reviewed his findings and they appear spot on (no great surprise there). The magazines need tweaking in the feed lip area so that they will feed more consistently (or at all) and the hold open spring is too weak. GT has modified his Luger accordingly and is kind enough to take mine on too.
I haven't heard from Eugene and have not tried to contact him. GT has spoken to him, but Eugene does not appear to take much outside advice, or at least that appears to be the case.
I suspect that at this point in the production cycle Eugene is happy to test with a set of "standard" magazines that he knows will work for testing and probably not the magazines that end up shipping with the gun. He said quite clearly that he tested my pistol with 200 rounds and unless it was at one round at a time, he couldn't have done it with the magazines I received. I'm not overly concerned, because I have complete faith that GT will overcome the problem and mine will become a tack driver too. The upside for anyone experiencing similar issues with their Golubtsov 45s is that GT can fix what ails them.
In closing, thx Vlim for making my day.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Lyn Islaub for your post:
Unread 03-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #225
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,423 Posts
Default .45 Luger Holster Photos

Two photos of the .45 Luger Holster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45 Luger Holster Front (2).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	76079  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1945 Luger Holster Back (2).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	76080  

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 03-13-2019, 02:25 AM   #226
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

The stitching is disappointing. Why does it look so much better on the back?
Unread 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #227
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default over reach, protocol....

Hi to all! As to the ongoing Luger .45 thread on this forum, it has come to my attention that perhaps I have committed an error in protocol by suggesting revisions, or describing my findings and other problems concerning the new .45 Lugers, just recently released, to the members here?
Any issues with the .45 Lugers concerning function, safety, warranty, service, repair or parts for these new pistols should be directed, solely and exclusively, to Lugerman Inc. for consideration and / or, repair!
I agree 100% to the above statement, and certainly had no intention of over stepping any already established policy concerning these units…
To the contrary, I am very happy to possess one of these wonderful firearms, and am continually impressed with the effort and skill put forth by Eugene to make owning one of these beauties a real possibility for the average guy. My hat is off to Eugene and his team…
If anyone wishes to discuss any Luger problems of any type in private, new or old, relevant or not, I can still be reached at: gctomeks@msn.com
Best to all my Luger family, til….lat’r…..GT......
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #228
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
What Jerry didn't mention is that the .45 holster is the working prototype of the holster he is creating. When he decides his design is OK you can bet you will be hard pressed to tell his finished product from a factory original.
Ron
Unread 03-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #229
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
What Jerry didn't mention is that the .45 holster is the working prototype of the holster he is creating.
Interesting. Is the 'loose' stitching then so that Jerry can take it back apart and use it for a pattern???

Quote:
As to the ongoing Luger .45 thread on this forum, it has come to my attention that perhaps I have committed an error in protocol by suggesting revisions, or describing my findings and other problems concerning the new .45 Lugers, just recently released, to the members here?
I would like to thank Gerry for his comments on the .45 Luger. I did not purchase one but it is entirely possible that I may buy one in the future, whether used or new, and notwithstanding if it has been 'upgraded' or not.

I believe it is a service to all purchasers/owners to point out any idiosyncrasies that may exist.

FWIW, I do not demand perfection. Eugene's .45 :uger would be eminently acceptable to me.

...My unpopular $.02...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #230
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi to all! As to the ongoing Luger .45 thread on this forum, it has come to my attention that perhaps I have committed an error in protocol by suggesting revisions, or describing my findings and other problems concerning the new .45 Lugers, just recently released, to the members here?
Any issues with the .45 Lugers concerning function, safety, warranty, service, repair or parts for these new pistols should be directed, solely and exclusively, to Lugerman Inc. for consideration and / or, repair!
I agree 100% to the above statement, and certainly had no intention of over stepping any already established policy concerning these units…
To the contrary, I am very happy to possess one of these wonderful firearms, and am continually impressed with the effort and skill put forth by Eugene to make owning one of these beauties a real possibility for the average guy. My hat is off to Eugene and his team…
If anyone wishes to discuss any Luger problems of any type in private, new or old, relevant or not, I can still be reached at: gctomeks@msn.com
Best to all my Luger family, til….lat’r…..GT......
GT,
You did nothing wrong.

If Eugene complained to you, he should have done it in the "open" - here on the forum.

You have every "right" and perhaps even an obligation to share your experiences and solutions with other .45 owners.

If Eugene is "sensitive" to such information being public, he should respond to his customers in real time and use the forum to keep them and the rest of the luger fraternity updated.

As I said before, he has done a remarkable job re-creating the .45 luger, and a very un-remarkable job in communication.

JMHO.
The following 4 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 03-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #231
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default .45 thread....

Hi Don, Thanks for the note on my post, and, I don't feel as I have done any wrong or harm in posting my experiences with the .45, and I am excited about the prospect of attaining 100% function for my own personal .45 Luger, and will pursue any problems relentlessly! The area that becomes a bit gray is my problem solving gene sometimes gets the better of me and I take on challenges that are not really tasked to me, or I offer advice in an area that it has not been requested?
Eugene has not contacted me directly in either regard, it is just that he is the manufacture and is on the hook for all warranty, parts, repairs and liability that comes with it, and as such should be the starting point for all inquiries as to any issues encountered. This is just professional courtesy, and because of the monumental effort he has put forth, I very much respect that...
As I mentioned earlier, I am always available for all other revision questions and information discoveries that I have been tasked with or that involve non-current production items not associated with any of our members...
That being said, Don has been my co-conspirator in many, many Luger problem solving tasks over the last few years! I am not the least bit shy in saying that as a team, there is very little that we can't overcome in the luger field, old or new... He is my R&D, and we have great fun with it along the way! Best to all, til…..lat'r…...GT....
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #232
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes I agree. This holster was made quickly with the idea that it wouldn't survive the patterning process. It came back from GT with modifications suggested, was torn apart, sliced and diced and I cobbled it back together. It was also made with less than premium grade leather and was never meant for sale. I now have an accurate pattern so if I ever have a need to make a production .45 holster I can do it. This sad example can be relegated to the Lugerholsterrepair museum or I might give it away.

But thanks for noticing. It was fun while it lasted.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following 4 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #233
2bnag
User

I'll Take it any day...Bill
Unread 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #234
Tony N.
New User

I was wondering if we would be able to the prototype it will make a nice addition for the people that have a 45 Luger
Tony N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #235
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Recent Range test!!!!!

Hi To all!!! Well, without stepping on any ones toes, I want to bring everyone up to date on what has transpired since my last post on the .45 Luger function and reliability.... Again, the disclaimer, if you have any issues with your .45 luger, Eugene is the fellow to contact! … Ok... we're past that now....
So, here is what I discovered, the .45 recoil spring was just a tad long and as a result over strength, which didn't allow for full recoil and other subsequent functions?... Soooo, I clipped one full coil from the spring, was 18 coils, now 17, and "boom" 100% function with, Winchester .45 military classic 230 gr. ball ammo....
I did try to reduce the magazine spring strength so it would be user friendly, but it was a certain failure to eject trap, very similar to issues I faced with the snail drums?... I did stretch the original, as issued follower springs to get it as close to designed as possible... I feel there is some room for serious improvement in this area as it is practically impossible to load the mag without the loading tool... So, five shot strings went off with out a hitch, probably shot 30 plus rounds with out any issues... Really fun to shoot.... best to all, til….lat'r….GT....
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-17-2019, 11:45 PM   #236
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Fantastic news Gerald! Guy says who are you..I'm a fixer. What do you fix? Things that need fixin.

Great detective work!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 04-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #237
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Guy says who are you..I'm a fixer. What do you fix? Things that need fixin.
Yeah...What he said...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #238
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Yeah...What he said...
I can fix anything, unless it is really broke.
Unread 04-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #239
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #240
2bnag
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
What Jerry didn't mention is that the .45 holster is the working prototype of the holster he is creating. When he decides his design is OK you can bet you will be hard pressed to tell his finished product from a factory original.
Ron

Uhhh,...there weren't any factory originals.....