LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default magazines!

Hi Eugene, A long time ago, I was trying to line up fabrication shops to make a magazine shell similar to the fxo type of mag tube! I noticed some mags had a lot of washboard chatter which sometimes occurs when metal is drawn thru a die with out sufficient lube??? It got me to thinking?
At the time, I did contact some aerospace companies that had the capabilities to make what I wanted, and that was a, "cold drawn, formed tube" shape, that was a near net part, less the machining and milling process for fit and function.
Cut off to length, machine top profile, follower slot and bottom radius reliefs if required, etc.?
The cost was reasonable, but the minimum was approx. 25 hundred feet, probably in 6' lengths, 4130 material, maybe 4140?.. Anyway, what stopped me, is I wanted a swaged feed lip area to make them more robust and thicker at the top, and this technology was not found at my level of search.. So, I shelved the project, but never forgot about the tubing... Maybe this will help you plan, maybe not.. but it was the path I traveled for awhile... best to all, til...lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote