LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 02-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
howardjia
User

Default 1918 DWM artillery question

Thanks for letting me join this forum. I am new to Luger.
I find a very nice all matching 1918 DWM artillery luger in local gun store. It looks nice but I have a question.
There is no letter (a or b) under the serial number on the bottom of the barrel and the frame. Is that correct? And I can see a circle N on the frame. What does it mean?
I am attaching a picture from this forum which show that letter under the serial number.
Sorry, I cannot take a picture of the gun that I saw.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170613-170533_resized.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	71331  

howardjia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
HerrKaiser
User

Firstly, the "circle" N should be a crown N which is the commercial nitro proof stating that this model is meant for modern smokeless powder. TBH more pictures including a takedown of the piece and pictures of the markings (numbers, symbols, etc) will help the most. Plenty of good videos on youtube to help show you how to take down your luger properly. Be sure to take clear, quality pictures and describe in detail symbols you cant seem to get clear pics of. Also recommend you choose from one of the large variety of Luger identification books out there, they will help you immensely. Believe me I have come a long way in just 2 months since I purchased my luger in January and still have a very long way to go.
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

We can't be certain without good photos, but the lack of a letter (suffix) may indicate that it was one of the early 9999 mfg. that year, before they started over with the letter A. Not an issue either way.
The N may suggest a commercial gun, not sure on that one.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

1918 DWM LP08s have serial numbers running from no suffix to j suffix.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 02-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
howardjia
User

thanks for your reply.
The gun shop asks for $3600. The Luger is all matching number including a matching number mag. It also comes with one holster dated 1917. 90% original finish, the bore seems shiny. What do you think of this price?
Unread 02-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
HerrKaiser
User

Just because you cant be too sure, ask him to prove to you that every number matches. If they do, yeah that seems to be about right but a little on the high end price wise. If you can justify buying it and can afford it, sure.
Unread 02-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrKaiser View Post
Firstly, the "circle" N should be a crown N which is the commercial nitro proof stating that this model is meant for modern smokeless powder. TBH more pictures including a takedown of the piece and pictures of the markings (numbers, symbols, etc) will help the most. Plenty of good videos on youtube to help show you how to take down your luger properly. Be sure to take clear, quality pictures and describe in detail symbols you cant seem to get clear pics of. Also recommend you choose from one of the large variety of Luger identification books out there, they will help you immensely. Believe me I have come a long way in just 2 months since I purchased my luger in January and still have a very long way to go.
Actually the circle N is present in the "well" of the frame that the take down lever passes through. This is a final inspection marking of DWM and not a proof mark.

Military lugers of WWI do not have Crown/N proofs, the C/N is a civilian proof.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 02-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

The price doesn't sound too bad IF, and only IF all numbers match, it is an original mag, not a later force-matched mag, and the holster is correct and in good shape. But we really do need photos, good ones, before we can go much further.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
howardjia
User

I am a lucky man, because I find the correct information on an auction website. This gun was bid for $2000. And according to the description, it is not all matching.

Here is the description:

DWM 1918 Dated Artillery Luger Semi-Automatic Pistol with Holster

Blade front and tangent rear sights, "1918" date on the chamber and "DWM" monogram on the toggle link. Three "crown/letter" proofs are present on the right side of the barrel extension, Imperial Eagle firing proofs on the extension, barrel and breechblock. External numbers are matching, excluding the unnumbered front sight. Proper "GESICHERT" and "GELADEN" markings on the upper safety position and extractor respectively, with a pair of checkered grips. Included with the pistol is a brown leather "1917" dated H. Becker & Company flap holster, "crown/W" marked takedown tool and a steel cleaning rod with a wood handle.

Class: Curio & Relic Handgun

Very fine as restored, with 90% plus blue finish, showing some mild wear and handling marks overall. The side plate and takedown lever are renumber/refinished to match pistol. The firing pin is a mixed numbered replacement, and the nickel finished wood base magazine has a single digit (1) restamped to match. The grips are excellent with some stains and dents. The holster is fine, with some cracks and scuffs. Mechanically excellent
Unread 02-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #10
HerrKaiser
User

It is an artillery shooter grade one then. I woudnt pay more than 2000 for it and most here would probably say its only worth 1500 or so. If you can get it for that price, it wouldnt be bad.