LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
thorin6
User

Default Questions on a 1938 S/42

Signed in yesterday to find it's been 4 years since I've been here. Still the best place in the world to research the P08 pistol. After perusing quite a bit of information, I've got some questions that I've not been able to get answers.
I picked up a 1938 S/42 P08 rig this weekend; pistol, holster (with loading tool), and extra magazine. Original finish (I've checked for tool marks, they seem to be all there) a bit worn. All matching as far as I can see (I haven't taken it apart yet, that will come later) and the grips are correct (marked 74 on the left grip). Both magazines are black plastic bases marked fxo over wing over 37 and P08 near the base. Tool is marked wing over 655 (thank goodness for magnifying glasses). Holster marked P08 and dtu 41 with WaA163 under the wing.
The markings on the pistol have me scratching my head; the serial number is 5174 with a v suffix; I didn't know they went that high. There are no proofs on the right side of the frame. There is a proof 63 under the wing on the barrel, and proof, crown over crown over U, which would indicate a commercial pistol (I think), and what looks like the same commercial proof on the bolt, but it appears to have been scratched over. The black plastic fxo bases come much later than 1938, but look like they have been with the rig for some time (the magazine in the holster has a matching chip in the base to a deformation in the leather).
So it looks like I have commercial frame that was diverted to a military pistol, but I have nothing to tell me that is correct. Anything that can enlighten me would be appreciated.
Pictures follow, if any more are needed let me know.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1938Left.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	68972  

Name:	1938Right.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	68973  

Name:	1938LeftProofa.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	68974  

Name:	1938LeftProofb.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	68975  

Name:	1938RightNoProofs.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	68976  

Name:	1938SerialNumber.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	68977  

thorin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
tharpo
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Are you a member of Jan Still's Luger Forum? Joop van de Kant did a study of V suffix Mausers over there. Here are two links that can help you identify your gun.
http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...auser-V-Series

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...-series-1-6000
tharpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tharpo for your post:
Unread 10-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
ecoman
User

This is a 1938 S/42 commercial. The serial is in the correct range as in the Mauser Parabellum book by Hallock and Van DeKant. I just sold one a few months back (5532V). I still have another one in great condition (5200V) that got diverted to the police. These are very rare. They made somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-300 of these. For some reason the military coded toggle links were used on these pistols instead of the Mauser banner. Your gun has seen some use, but appears original. Depending on what you spent, you might have done quite well on this pick up. These do not turn up often. Hope this helps.
ecoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to ecoman for your post:
Unread 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
thorin6
User

Thanks for the responses and suggestions; I'm going to have to do some more digging I think.
Unread 10-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
thorin6
User

If I have this right, the serial number indicates a contract for Latvia, and the S/42 (instead of the Mauser Banner) on the toggle is one of 256 made with contract proofs and a military designation. It apparently is also one of 20 plus that are know to exist. Also, I checked the front sight and it does have the CcU proof mark (I think that's the right designation for large crown over small crown over U). In that I bought what I thought was a standard military P08 rig with 60% original finish that is all matching, can anyone give me a rough idea of what value to put on the rig? Also, can anyone offer an explanation how this pistol ended up in a 1941 dated holster with two black plastic fxo magazines?
Thanks for the help.