LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 02-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts
Default Uh-oh...

I guess I now own my 1900 shooter. Funny, they described it as a 1906 "thin barrel". http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie.../1024/lid/5386 This is just about what I wanted as far as condition and price...well, it's always more expensive than we want, whatever. I think the overall fine pitting is charming!

Here's how I rationalize the buyer's premium: It's what I pay to eliminate travel expenses. A couple hundred bucks might barely cover the gas to a Luger this distance from me--which I think I would travel if I had to.

I'll get better pics up once it's home, which will be a while if it's anything like last time I won something there.
Unread 02-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
alvin
User

I like it. It's a taste. If it's all matching, it's a gem.

===

But don't "restore" it. It has been kept as is for many years, that's not easy, keep it this way will be the best. Once I saw a pistol on GB, sending message to seller asking the bore condition. He replied "fair bore, but you can reline it". I was so disappointed -- not on the bore condition, but on his misunderstanding.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 02-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

I bid on it too - just at the lower end - I agree with what you say about travel and the buyers premium, although I plan on sending them a check.

I won the 1925 Simson and somehow ended up with an early colt
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
nukem556
User

Great....if you're a Luger guy, you've got to eventually have a 1900
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to nukem556 for your post:
Unread 02-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

At least you won something...I bid on a lot that I was sure no one else would want, and bid the 'high end', with Plus 2...And still lost...

Oh! Hey Dave - I looked at that one! I thought the big grip thingie was some kind of cartridge counter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daves.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	46587  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
At least you won something...I bid on a lot that I was sure no one else would want, and bid the 'high end', with Plus 2...And still lost...
What's the meaning of those "Plus 1", "Plus 2", I saw that on bid form, but don't know the meaning so I always leave that blank...
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
What's the meaning of those "Plus 1", "Plus 2", I saw that on bid form, but don't know the meaning so I always leave that blank...
Ah! There's another controversy! I had thought it meant a second (or third) incremented bid, from your last bid...But another member told me it was a second (or third) bid from the last bid, no matter who from...

There is a big difference...If it's from the last bid, and say there were 3 bids above yours, in increments of $100, your Plus 1 bid could be $400 higher than your last bid...And your Plus 2 could be $400 more than that...But if it's just a Plus 1 from your last bid, then you'd stop at $200 over your maximum...

It's very confusing...
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Its a plus 1 or 2 to YOUR bid

or else you'd be guaranteed to win if it was plus 1 to the final bid
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
Great....if you're a Luger guy, you've got to eventually have a 1900
Oh, well, I am taking one to Louisville to sell
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Its a plus 1 or 2 to YOUR bid

or else you'd be guaranteed to win if it was plus 1 to the final bid
No, because once you use a Plus 1 (or your Plus 2), it's gone; used up...

It's gotta be the Plus to YOUR last bid (like you say)...'cause if there were 10 of you bidding, you could go $2,000 over your original bid of $1,000...

Doesn't matter. I could go Plus 10 and someone on the floor would still win it.
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I'm glad this morning that no one has pointed out that I paid too much. It was somewhat of an emotional influence, because I've wanted something like this baaaad for quite a while. Spiffy ones are out of reach for me, so I was more than willing to accept this "fair" condition one since it is affordable to me.

The 1906 I had G.T. re-barrel for me initially looked like an old beater before I swapped grips and barrel. I remember that it had a certain appeal to me that way, but the slight makeover won out and I'm not sorry. But this one seems even more able to stand just the way it is, plus a little cleaning up, and I can shoot it!

This is the only item I bid on, and at low estimate, so I perceived it quite unlikely to come through and was well-surprised when the notification came in. Once again, the hammer price is equal to my max bid--which was through RIA's website, NOT Proxibid, which saves several points off the premium. I'm paying by check or M.O., so that saves another 2.5% compared to c.c. payment.

Rich, that thingie looked like a "counter" window to me, too, at first glance! Never got involved with the plusses; I set my limit, submit a proxy bid as early as possible, and like Ron Popeil would say, forget it! I shudder to think what would happen if I attended an auction for something I really wanted with a pocket full of cash! My system eliminates all the emotion in the bidding aspect of things except, of course, for that moment of submitting the bid.

One detail to which I must attend before it arrives is to get a replacement CC permit. Mine accompanied everything else in it as my wallet took a ride in the washer two weeks ago, and is pretty much papier mache'. The photo came detatched in the process and is blank! Mine is the last county in the state to change to laminated permits, and I hope the county clerk has straightened out their machine by now! It is puzzling that my driver's license, which shared the wallet pocket, was completely gone, and it was laminated!
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
I'm glad this morning that no one has pointed out that I paid too much.
I can't get into the posted hammer prices yet, so I'll refrain comment.

Quote:
One detail to which I must attend before it arrives is to get a replacement CC permit.
My local permit office replaces mine almost constantly. First the change to the plastic cards (mine is 3 cards long), then they eliminated the fingerprint, then they took another picture [no reason given], now we have a newly elected PP/CC clerk so a new permit will be needed next time I register something.

I also noticed I forgot to update my employer/occupation...Oh, well...
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Its easy to get excited at an auction. I paid too much for the 1902 Colt but have wanted one for a while - the Simson I paid just under what my 'max' was set for (less than half of what an unmolested model would be).

Rich, was unsure how you meant. I thought i was clear You bid $1200 and do plus 2 and it will bid to $1400 (hundred dollar increments at that amount). I think you get around 4 or 5 k and it starts to be $500 increments.

Normal auction bidding.....

Permits? for what? See you NY guys think thats normal - its not - I just buy a gun and put it in my C&R book and when I was younger; some states I am in, I just buy a gun no el-paper-work-o
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Permits? for what? See you NY guys think thats normal - its not - I just buy a gun and put it in my C&R book and when I was younger; some states I am in, I just buy a gun no el-paper-work-o
*sigh*

When you are able, Rich, you'll see that the hammer price was $1,100--same as RIA's "low estimate".
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

Dave,
Congratulations on landing a nice early Commercial 1900. They are much more difficult to find than an American Eagle. I also notice that the serial number, 3402, is real close to my 1900 Commercial 3453!
Ron
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Permits? for what?
All NYS permits are concealed carry. Some states I've been in allow purchase but not carry concealed.

$1,100 sounds reasonable to me. I paid more for my 1900AE.
Unread 02-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #17
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I'll be interested in how much the damages come to once all totaled, with bidder's premium, taxes, transfer fees, etc.
If you don't mind sharing...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #18
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
All NYS permits are concealed carry. Some states I've been in allow purchase but not carry concealed.

hmmmm - permit allows carry too?

I thought everyone had to get a permit but few had carry permits

but i might be confusing NJ with NY City vs rest of NY

Philly has laws that SAY that carry permits from the rest of the state are not legal, but state legislature disagrees
Unread 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Dave,
Congratulations on landing a nice early Commercial 1900. They are much more difficult to find than an American Eagle. I also notice that the serial number, 3402, is real close to my 1900 Commercial 3453!
Ron
Thanks, Ron, that's a load off my mind. It was specifically your muster I hoped this one would pass!

Quote:

Hmmm... does this vary by county, as well? When I filled out the forms a few years ago, there was a choice of two different permits. The first one allowed you to own the gun and transport it to the range, matches, etc. under specific circumstances, something like unloaded, action open, in view, say, on the passenger's seat, ammo locked in the trunk or similarly inaccessible place. the concealed version lets you carry loaded and concealed, unless otherwise prohibited--official buildings, etc. I went for the concealed carry because it was less restrictive, and since the judge in our county was great about it, it came through no problem. The pal I bought the Caspian 1911 bulls-eye pistol from had lost his around the time of the accident that messed up his arm for using the 1911, and he was disgruntled to find that his county powers had downgraded his to the former, more restrictive sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
I'll be interested in how much the damages come to once all totaled, with bidder's premium, taxes, transfer fees, etc.
If you don't mind sharing...
dju
David, so far the tally includes the $1,100 hammer price and the 15% buyer's premium. I chose registered mail for shipping, which should be the most economical. But they always ding you heavily for handling/packing, IIRC. I'll report after their invoice arrives. Transfer fee on my end just went up to $20 from $15 for a pistol.
Unread 02-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #20
mahd776
User

If I had bid on that Luger it would have sold for 30% over high estimate! That's been my experience with firearms that I bid on at RIA. On the flip side ones I have looked at and not bid on have went for low estimate or less. Be nice to figure that out some day!
mahd776 is offline   Reply With Quote