LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Fabian23
User

Default First day at the range

I took my 6" shooter down the range with a box of 50 S&B subsonic 9mm (recommended by former owner of the pistol) yesterday.

It was great fun, even if I did have all the characteristic jamming/feeding problems so often listed on the forum.

1. Next round is stripped too late and ends up vertical between chamber mouth and breechblock, or is wedged at 45 degrees with the nose half in the chamber. I think the mag spring is waaaaay too soft, I can almost push it down fully with just my thumb! I have ordered 2 Mec-gar mags from the Doc so we shall see about that particular problem.

2. Failure to extract. Yup, in some cases the toggle cycled with the empty brass unmoved in the chamber or the toggle assembly simply failed to cycle at all. I fired single rounds and the toggle locks back just fine (although sometimes without extracting). Could the extractor spring be too weak? How would I check?

These two problems occured at regular intervals in random order or combinations thereof. Still, I'm not giving up on the old girl, she is just teasing me.....I think this is the start of a beautiful relationship
Fabian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
pipeman45
User

Could be all that you listed. But first if you haven't already.I would field strip the pistol and do a good clean and lube. Lugers like to be clean and oiled up. Also a good clean up on the mag wouldn't be a bad idea. Then try some of the Winchesters from Wally World.
Unread 06-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Fabian,

I think you are on the right track with the MecGar mags, the clean and oil is a good idea too.

Likely you don't have a WalMart in your neighborhood, but a change in ammunition is in order. Subsonic ammunition is certainly insufficiently powerful to operate the action, also the feeding failure sounds like it could be a cartridge overall length issue. I have had good luck with standard S&B FMJ 115gr. 9mm ammunition.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,196 Posts

Hi,

Try the 125 Gr. S&B. It's a wellknown urban myth in Dutch shooting circles that 'modern 9mm is too powerfull for a luger'. Which is complete bullocks.

A decent luger with a decent magazine should work with S&B 125gr and 115grn without problems.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Fabian23
User

Lightbulb Will try

Thanks,

Will try the complete strip and clean, and get a box of S&B 115gr to try out.
Unread 06-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Fabian23
User

Smile New developments

Sooo, I gave the old girl a good scrubbing, took out a good lump of gunk out from around and under the extractor (the spring was encased in dirt), cleaned and oiled all parts that needed it.

I got two new mec-gar mags and newly fitted Nills on the grip and headed for the range once again with 100 rds (50 115gr S&B and 50 124gr Subsonic S&B).

Subsonic works fine with one round in 5 being extracted half way out of the chamber before the extractor jumped the rim. This left me with a jam since the bolt is trying to feed the next round in.

Standard 115gr I have a 1 in 5 chance of a stovepipe.

The additional problem both have in common is feeding a round in and it gets wedged half in the chamber at an angle though this was only a 1 in 10 occurrence.

All in all neither ammo offers 100% reliability yet

Suggestions most welcome.

p.s I am also learning to grip with a stiff grip since this also helps things. I am a rifle shooter by preference so it is a new experience.
Unread 06-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Hi,

You might want to try a Wolff spring set. Take a look at the extractor spring, if it's weak it will cause more than an occasional stovepipe. I had a VoPo frankenluger with the same problems, once I changed out the springs (extractor, fire pin, main spring) the pistol worked much, much better. I only never got the holdopen to work correctly, but feeding and extracting improved dramatically.

I also changed out the magazine catch, as it was worn, causing the mag to ride rather low, adding to the feeding problems.

Ended up trading the old girl in for a stocked Mauser C/96.

btw, two weeks ago I ran a box of our club brand '9mm GeCo' through my S/42. Worked like a dream, only the gun looked like a colony of mice used it for a toilet afterwards. Small pieces of crud everywhere. S&B burns very cleanly, leaving the pistol very clean.
Unread 06-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
Fabian23
User

Default Springs

Thanks for the tips

I was thinking of doing a 'spring' clean (aha aha), Wolff do some handy packs, but non-us orders need to be above $25 and the pack only costs $9.99

Anybody got a pack laying around who has more favourable payment/shipment terms?
Unread 06-26-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Haha,

Yes, I remember. I bought some other stuff from them in order to get to the $25 limit