LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-06-2002, 12:57 AM   #1
Bob in AZ
User

Default RUSSIAN AMMO BLOW UP LUGER!!!

Okay guys, here's the proof that not all 9mm Russian ammo is loaded to spec. The ammo used was Russia Brown Bear 115gr FMJ bimetal case. Just purchased, new stuff, shot about 200rds before the blow up happened. Here's the story...

I just had GT rebuilt the magazine for my friends 1916 Erfurt. The mag had a loose bottom and soft spring. So it jammed everytime you shot it.

Today I invited my friend Dave to come out and try his Erfurt with newly rebuilt magazine. As I expected the gun function perfectly. GT's rework not only made the gun function well, but it LOOKS great too.

Dave's son was also with me and wanted to shoot the Luger. I helped him load up the magazine and off he went. I think it was about the 3rd or 4th magazine full when the gun went KaBOOM.

As you can see from the pic the cartridge blew out through the extractor cut area in the barrel. This blew the extractor up and back through the bolt. Chipped the bolt on both sides and broke off the little foot on the extractor.

No one was hurt, thank goodness, just Dave's Erfurt. YES we all were wearing our shooting glasses. Now I have always shot the Russian WOLF 9mm ammo and never had a problem. I only just bought this Russia Brown Bear stuff because thats all the stores/gun shows seem to be carrying lately.

So there you have. Your looking at the proof.

Bob

http://www.public.asu.edu/~bpz357/luger.jpg