LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Rick W.
User

Post 1936 Kreighoff query

i
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

Hi Rick,

Rust should never be left alone.

There are several ways to treat the rust you describe. I think that were the piece mine, I would give the strawed but rusted pieces a good long soak in a very high grade light weight machine oil for several days to soften the rust. Then I think I would get some clean burlap and moisten it with oil and give the parts a judicious scrub, being careful to use only the pressure necessary to dislodge the rust and avoiding any damage to the strawing. After successful cleaning, I would then coat the parts with Renaissance Wax to seal them.

My zwei pfennigs. Suggest others here, particularly Thor, may have some magic potions they use for such things.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
Hairy
User

There is a product called Blue Wonder that will deal with rust very well--and does not harm bluing. I use it without concern on my guns and when finished, use the Renaissance Wax as well.
Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
Navy
RIP

Hairy,

Thanks for the tip. I have not encountered Blue Wonder. Pls share some details as to what it is and where to get it.

Thanks,
Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
Hugh
RIP

Thumbs up

Tom,

Check it out here: http://www.bluewonder.us/
Unread 01-04-2004, 01:53 AM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
If this product is advertised as being able to remove rust without harming the blue, I would think they are talking about salt blue. The rust blue on early weapons is just that, rust. Granted it has been stablized, but I am wondering if it really is safe to use on an early rust blued Luger?
Unread 01-05-2004, 12:49 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Lightbulb

Ron, I have some ordered. When it arrives I will test on a "shooter" and see if it removes the rust bluing along with the unwanted rust! Results will be posted to this thread.

Rick, Strawing is a heat process as is "nitre bluing", so a "rust remover" should not affect it. I have had great success in removing light rust from white, strawed, and rust blued parts with WD40 and 0000 steel wool.
Unread 01-18-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
BPNovum
New User

Hello Guys,

I saw some hits coming to our website form this forum, so I thought I would come check it out. I will be glad to help with any technical questions.

Ron, As for salt blued rugers, the Blue Wonder Gun Blue will remove the undesired oxidation, rust, without harming the bluing.

Rick, you are correct, the Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner is the first step in our bluing process. But, the cleaner is sold separately because it is also a great bore cleaner, removing copper and lead fouling. It is a very conservative approch to taking care of your valuable collectables as it will not harm the existing bluing on the gun but will remove any rust it comes in contact with.

It also removes all oil it comes in contact with. So make sure you preserve your firearm with a good rust inhibiting protectant like our Armadillo product or our soon to be released, Disotec XFR lubricant.

If I can answser any other questions please feel free to ask. I hope I can contribute here as well as learn from your expreience.

Best regards from your newest member!
mailto:bprice@BlueWonder.usbprice@BlueWonder.us</a>
866-GUN-BLUE (486-2583)
BPNovum is offline   Reply With Quote