LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Default Artillery Receiver Value

Gentlemen, I have a 1916 DWM Artillery Luger receiver with part of the barrel attached but stripped of all parts. There is some damage to the left rail and the right forward receiver above the proof marks. It was this way when I acquired it. The rail should fit into a frame OK with a bit of fitting and make a nice shooter when a new barrel has been installed. The inside of the receiver, trigger bar area and ejector area are fine. So is the toggle link area. The damaged areas can be clearly seen in the attached pictures. I've circled the areas that are damaged.

My problem is, I don't know what the current value is. I don't want to ask too much but I also want fair value for it. Please help. Pictures below.

Last edited by Doubs; 08-28-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Receiver value

Hi Doubs, I have been selling a few stripped receivers on Gun Broker, and although they seem to move at $100.00, they also seem to sit a long time at $150.00... I don't think the artillery notch is too important as to value, as there are a lot of standard P.08s that sport that notch ... Navy receivers, Navy marked, or with the large pin flange seem to command a premium... The art. barrel stub is not of any value unless you want a dimensional sample to build a barrel with.. .. Just my opinion, but it's a start.. Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

The marks are consistent with some dummy trying to unscrew the barrel from the receiver without the proper tools...Don't ask me how I know...

It is easy to skew the receiver by doing this...And a real beetch to get it straightened and aligned afterward...

The marks will affect the price, and as Gerry says, it's not all that rare to begin with...IMHO, if you get a $100 for it, you is doin' good...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Thank you G.T. and Postino. I agree that some idiot tried to remove the barrel without the proper tools. Happily, that idiot wasn't me! I hope my pictures clearly show what a buyer would receive. I don't believe the receiver is warped as it will slide onto a frame until it reaches the point on the rail where the damage is and then it gets tight but will go on. A toggle train fits perfectly on it.

It was my intention to rebarrel it but I have enough "shooters" so it's surplus to my needs.

To the best of my knowledge, only Erfurt followed the 1916 military order to notch all Luger receivers for the Artillery sight. Therefore, any DWM notched receiver will have originally been an Artillery model. That, of course, will mean nothing to someone who only wants a shooter.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote