LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 08-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Sieger
User

Default New Stocks and Stock Irons

Hi All:

FYI!!!

For those wanting a reproduction Artillery or Navy stock, SARCO, Inc., (908) 647-3800, now has them back in stock. Price is ok, as is quality.

You can use these on a pistol originally designed for them, that is, either an original Artillery or Navy Parabellum.

They are also offering stock irons for sale, for those of you needing one to complete a stock you may already have.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
A.Mifsin
User

Hi, Do you happen to know the stock irons item number, because I can't find it, only the complite board is shown.
Thanks
Alf.
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

There might be people who are casually interested in looking at pics of these, and the price as well...Sadly, without a link, they are SOL...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
There might be people who are casually interested in looking at pics of these, and the price as well...Sadly, without a link, they are SOL...
Hi:

This is any easy one. Google: Sarco Inc. Luger Parts

The stock is the last item on the bottom right.

Sieger
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mifsin View Post
Hi, Do you happen to know the stock irons item number, because I can't find it, only the complite board is shown.
Thanks
Alf.
Sure:

From my August 10th addition of Shotgun News, page 65.

Stock Iron (only): LGR148 $69.95

Artillery Stock (complete) LGR157 $170.00

Navy Stock (complete) LGR158 $175.00

About a year or so ago, I bought some "old stock" Artillery stocks (sans irons) from Sarco. The quality was "ok" and the price was definately right!

The quality of these new Sarco stocks is about the same as the stock I bought from Slatters Armory of Alexandria Va., in around 1981 or so. Those were the "Odin" stocks they were selling at the time for all of $89.00. That was quite a bit then.

If you are looking for a perfect quality reproduction, you may just want to buy the iron and have a stock, made to original specs., by a real craftsman. Jerry may do these, but you will have to ask him. I remember, about a year ago, there were some really nice XXX wood Parabellum stocks on e-bay, but I can't remember the vendor or their price (high).

What I would be willing to pay for would be a good reproduction of the rare Parabelum stock modeled after the Mauser C-96 stock. This is the stock that the pistol fits in. I read, somewhere, that these were BATFE approved because they were of original design, though very rare. This would have to be verified before you could attach and actually use one.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 08-14-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
hgreer2
Banned

I have an uneasy feeling these are made by CMR, if so no thanks.

Harry
hgreer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgreer2 View Post
I have an uneasy feeling these are made by CMR, if so no thanks.

Harry
Hi:

For that uneasy feeling, try an Alka Seltzer.

Frankly, the P-08 grips I bought from CMR, a few years ago, weren't all that hot either.

As to who is making Sarco's stocks, I don't know, but I doubt if they are reselling CMR stocks, as they are just too darn expensive to start with.

I guess you could e-mail or call them and find out for sure, if you are really interested in buy a stock for your Luger.

Sieger
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
As to who is making Sarco's stocks, I don't know, but I doubt if they are reselling CMR stocks, as they are just too darn expensive to start with.
Sarco usually IDs their products by stock number; I don't know who LGR is, but that's probably the manufacturer/distributor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LugerArtilleryBoardStockwithMetalLGR1571.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	20807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LugerArtilleryBoardStockwithMetalLGR1572.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	20808  

Unread 08-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Sieger
User

Smile

Quote:
Sarco usually IDs their products by stock number; I don't know who LGR is, but that's probably the manufacturer/distributor...
Hi:

Thanks for posting the pictures!!!

Nope, LGR means (Luger Part) as all of the parts listed on the site for a Luger start with that prefix.

Sieger
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Nope, LGR means (Luger Part) as all of the parts listed on the site for a Luger start with that prefix.
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for that!
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
hgreer2
Banned

Quote:
Hi:

Sieger
CMR stocks aren't too expensive. I doubt SARCO would tool up just to re-envent the wheel.
Harry

http://www.cmrfirearms.com/shop/prod...bd5b6d0cb03777
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Sieger
User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgreer2 View Post
CMR stocks aren't too expensive. I doubt SARCO would tool up just to re-envent the wheel.
Harry

http://www.cmrfirearms.com/shop/prod...bd5b6d0cb03777
Hi Again:

For me, its the quality and fit of the stock irons that makes the difference.

Probably the worst rendition I've seen came with a LP-08 holster set I bought that was made in India. The leather holster itself was "ok" but the stock iron was a joke to say the least.

How much do you want to bet that these little goodies are made in China?

The irons I bought from Sarco, years ago, were really quite good. They all needed custom fitting to my pistols' particular lungs to function snuggly and properly. My old ones were custom fit by a friend who has passed away. When I get these new ones, I'm going to have to contact THOR to find out just how to fit these to my 1916 LP-08 myself.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 08-14-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
hgreer2
Banned

Quote:
Hi Again:

For me, its the quality and fit of the stock iron that makes the difference.

Probably the worst rendition I've seen came with a LP-08 holster set I bought that was made in India. The leather holster itself was "ok" but the stock iron was a joke to say the least.

How much do you want to bet that these little goodies are made in China?

The irons I bought from Sarco, years ago, were really quite good. They all need custom fitting to your pistol's particular lung to function snuggly and properly. My old ones were custom fit by a friend who has passed away. When I get these new ones, I'm going to have to contact THOR to find out just how to fit these to my 1916 LP-08 myself.

Sieger
If I were you, I would contact kitkat, he's been there and done that. No bet, where do you think CMR gets their's.

Harry
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

It is perfectly obvious, but perhaps worth noting for folks that are new to fitting a stock iron...you do not remove any metal from the gun!...only from the iron. Usually the depth of the "channel" in the iron is too shallow and binds up when attempting to attach it to the gun. You need to remove material from the bottom of the channel. Some folks attempt to do this with a Dremel tool, but that is a bit hard to control. The best tool for the job is called a "riffler" file and can be obtained from places like Brownells, but also are usually available at good hobby stores and specialty hardware stores.
It doesn't take too long to remove enough metal to get a good fit. Take it a little at a time. A final polish with some 600 grit emory paper wrapped around the riffler makes the assembly smoother and a little cold blue makes it pretty (pretty only lasts a little while since installing the stock quickly wears through the blue).
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
It is perfectly obvious, but perhaps worth noting for folks that are new to fitting a stock iron...you do not remove any metal from the gun!...only from the iron. Usually the depth of the "channel" in the iron is too shallow and binds up when attempting to attach it to the gun. You need to remove material from the bottom of the channel. Some folks attempt to do this with a Dremel tool, but that is a bit hard to control. The best tool for the job is called a "riffler" file and can be obtained from places like Brownells, but also are usually available at good hobby stores and specialty hardware stores.
It doesn't take too long to remove enough metal to get a good fit. Take it a little at a time. A final polish with some 600 grit emory paper wrapped around the riffler makes the assembly smoother and a little cold blue makes it pretty (pretty only lasts a little while since installing the stock quickly wears through the blue).
Ron:

As always, thanks for your valuable insight and information!

My prior three irons didn't really have a problem slipping onto the frame lung fully. Their problem was latching fully. The thumb latches wouldn't close all of the way, snuggly. My friend, somehow, disassembled these three and removed just enough metal, from the irons, for them to snug up nicely and latch completely to the frame lungs.

Have you ever had a problem with an iron fully latching before?

Sieger
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #16
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
I have had a few of the CMR models of irons. While not super duper, they all did slip onto the Luger arty grip of the day. The curved T-slot's elongated dimension was ok for my needs.

However none of them would begin to latch up. Then I thought, these are hand fitted things. The latch has a cylinder that engages the slot in the back of the Luger grip. It has to rotate from a flat position(to slide it on/off), and as the latch is rotated the cylinder engages the slot on the grip to a morer or lesser degree; depending on fitment.

Kinda makes sense to me that the cylinder's diameter is oversized, it would look like that one can address that himself to fit a particular grip frame. I cannot see the need or want to alter the Luger's grip itself.

The CMR modes have a form of detent to hold the cylinder of the iron in position axially, probably not nice to have the pistol fall off onto the concrete.

The basic stock iron is kinda a hard piece for the average guy to make(Postino project?) as it has a curved T-slot. I have seen the tooling in another posting on the net that does such, but way beyond my basic skills and tooling.
Hi:

Thanks!!!

Yes, I can remember that now.

I think all that I will need, if the irons do, indeed, slip easily onto my lungs, is to lightly and carefully stone down the "cylinders" until they just barely latch fully and snuggly shut.

You are right; as I'd like to be shooting my LP-08 and have the stock fly off of it!! Perhaps, I could even arrange to have this awful signt on You-Tube. By the way, if you do want some good laughs, search "Luger Shooting" on You-Tube and just sit back and enjoy the "action"!!!

Thanks!!

Sieger
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #17
A.Mifsin
User

Quote:
Hi:

This is any easy one. Google: Sarco Inc. Luger Parts

The stock is the last item on the bottom right.

Sieger
That I found, but do they have the iron only?
Alf.
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
Postino has always been generous with his pictures on how to do's, thought he might have an idea or two on fabrication of the stock iron piece.
Not really...I do keyseat cutting and/or "T" slots, but a curved "T" slot is something that I've never tried...Can't even imagine how to do it...
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
A.Mifsin
User

Quote:
Not really...I do keyseat cutting and/or "T" slots, but a curved "T" slot is something that I've never tried...Can't even imagine how to do it...
A friend of mine once has done one for the artillery, someday I will ask how he has done it and he used hand tools, he told me.
Alf.
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mifsin View Post
That I found, but do they have the iron only?
Alf.
Hi:

Yes, see my post above with stock number and price.

Sieger