LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-02-2001, 07:43 PM   #1
SteveM
User

Default WW1 Movie at 7PM CST

The Lost Batallion on A&E......

Regards,

SteveM

Unread 12-02-2001, 09:08 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: WW1 Movie at 7PM CST

Cool will check it out...

Unread 12-02-2001, 11:31 PM   #3
Hugh
RIP

Great movie; one good closeup of a Luger!

Unread 12-03-2001, 06:10 AM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Excellent movie. I watched it the first time, recorded it the second time and fell asleep the third time. I saw one C-96 (when the airplane was shot at) and one Luger (when the PFC was returned). Unfortunately, the Luger was a close-up and it had an aluminum bottom. Was I the only one who noticed that the major had rank insignias that looked silverish? That would have made him a light colonel. Maybe some military historians here could tell me if American officers wore their rank in the open during WW1 as they did in the movie. French officers were favorite targets of snipers because of their white feathered hats and gloves.

A few other things bothered me about the movie. Namely, the military tactics changed as the was progressed and armies ran out of men to be butchered. Over-the-top charges against machine guns were stopped toward the end of the war. And the German sniper took too many shots. Germany had an excellent snipper school and I am sure that they had something like the one-shot, one-kill rule that currently prevails in all militaries. But that is maybe Hollywood.

Big Norm

Unread 12-03-2001, 11:45 AM   #5
Hugh
RIP

Big Norm, You are very observent, I missed the al bottom mag on that Luger. But of course, that was my first time to watch it, and it was on very briefly. You make some good points.

Unread 12-03-2001, 12:39 PM   #6
66mustang

Default Inaccuaracys in film

On the history channel they have a show called Holloywood and history, or something like that. They discuss many times how the producer / writer wants to be accuarate, but if it is more dramatic to have the sniper / driver, etc., do something for affect, then they do it.

Sometimes very frustrating when they change history that to you and me matters. Of course with weapons, we have probably either seen the same weapons used again and again (there are several companies that provide weapons), or we are seeing plastic weapons.

When I was in Holland, there was a WW2 Resistance movie, which I was in (you can see my legs as I walk by), it is in Dutch, but it was very interesting watching them do this scene and that scene and see how much ended up on the cutting floor. And I was only there one day! We played with M-1's, I don't remember seeing any Lugers, but there were K-98's used by the Germans. This was a small production by a Dutch company, but they were fairly professional and used several weapons companies and for uniforms. I saw several inaccuaracies, they had a friend of mine in one scene, as an infantry guy. He is African American and there were few real times that a black guy was in an integrated company!

BTW, the battle was arounbd Overloon, the largest tank battle in Holland. They have a musuem of guns, the actual vehicles left behind in the fight and a seperate musuem of concentration camps. Overall a really nice place.

Ed

Unread 12-03-2001, 01:18 PM   #7
Steve Lempitski
User

Default "Glory" was good

The American Civil War film of the 54th infantry assault on Fort Wagner got it right. It cost them a lot more money than it could have to produce, because they made sure that all the equipment in the movie, down to the trunion locks on the gun carriages, met original Confederate military specs!

Unread 12-03-2001, 02:37 PM   #8
66mustang

Default Re: "Glory" was good

Holy smokes!

That is nice when they try very hard to be accurate, usually happens when onbe of the producers is a gun nut,

ed

Unread 12-03-2001, 02:40 PM   #9
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Inaccuaracys in film

The history channel has some really great stuff. Too bad that they think that history battles begin with WW2 and the only European monarchy was British. Actually, the Germans has surpassed the British by 1914. That is one of the things that made WW1 so horrific. Nations had the money and new technology to kill but the generals were still fighting American civil war style with massive attacks against machine guns. On a slow day along the front "only" 40,000 men would die. Austria started the war with 7.5 million able men and ended up with 500,000. In one offensive, over 180,000 humans on each side lost their lives in three days. The French lost 400,000 men in the first month of the war. After I read that, I had nightmares for a while. I kept dreaming of the bodies stacked up like cord wood and a moan coming out of the stacks. Just unbelievable numbers. Then I read that the Russian offensive in WW1 began with only two ambulances.

I got hooked on the program "History vs Hollywood" because of "Saving of Private Ryan". I had just seen the movie at the theater when the history channel had their special on it so everything was fresh in my mind.

Big Norm

Unread 12-04-2001, 01:52 PM   #10
Jim Van Eldik
User

EXCEPT Steve do you remember when Morgan Freeman was handing out the Enfield Muskets and reading off the serial numbers. Them Enfields (the originals that is) ain't got no serial numbers.

Jim

Unread 12-04-2001, 02:04 PM   #11
Steve Lempitski
User

You sure? My 1863 cavalry sabre has C. Roby, West Chelmsford MA, on it as well as a serial #, and a "M" stamp for the State of Massachusetts issue to a State Unit. As Col. Shaws 54th was a Mass State unit, all their equipment was bought and paid for, (and property of), the State of Massachusetts; which supplied more men to the Union Army than any other state. Every small town up here has a memorial in the town square to those who did not return. My home town of Holliston has a gravestone of a family with all three sons - one killed at Antietam, another at Gettysburg, and the third died a prisoner in Bell Island.

Unread 12-04-2001, 02:16 PM   #12
Jim Van Eldik
User

Steve -- May be, I've never seen one with a serial number, but then you know there is this old saying about "never."

Jim

Unread 12-04-2001, 02:42 PM   #13
The Wizard
User

Default Wore Holsters Wrong and Wrong Revolver Holster

The officer wore their M1916 holster for the M1911 pistol wrong. A the lieutenant who was armed with a revolver (didn't get a good look at it so don't know if it was a M1917 or not) had a holster that look like it was for a British Webley instead of a M1909 holster.

The Wizard