LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-05-2001, 03:07 PM   #21
Martin

Default Now here is the real story

I can't stand it any more, waiting to be exposed as a colossal hoaxter. I thought we would have a lot of fun with my tongue-in-cheek fictional reference book and its author, but I was shocked that no one seemed to join in the fun or that no one questioned me until John Sabato hesitantly requested more information, and I congratulate him for that! I suppose everyone else fell victim to something we are all guilty of, that if the lie is big enough we tend to believe it. Anyway, I hope this was a source of amusement to you all, and if I confused or annoyed any of you, I sincerely apologize. Just wait and see what I have in store for you next April Fools Day!

Unread 09-05-2001, 03:52 PM   #22
Thor
User

Default Re: Now here is the real story

I never believed it! What a load of bunko!! Thanks for the jump start

Unread 09-05-2001, 07:30 PM   #23
Kyrie
User

Default Re: SS Officer Nickle Plated Luger

Gentlemen (and Ladies!),

There are, to the best of my knowledge, no factory original nickel or chrome plated Lugers. There are certainly no German military nickel or chrome plated Lugers, as such pieces would never have passed the inspection and acceptance process.

While there do exist a few presentation Lugers, engraved to some degree and sometimes plated, the plating is material is precious metal (gold and/or platinum are customary). The Soviet Russians chromed or nickeled some of their presentation TT-33â??s, but the Germans did not use these materials.

Chrome or nickel plating of war trophies was quite a fad in the 1950â??s and 1960â??s, and thatâ??s when the majority of chrome and nickel plated Lugers were plated.

I understand this will be bad news for some and Iâ??m truly sorry.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 09-05-2001, 11:08 PM   #24
Ad.

Default Kyrie, what about the "authoritative book...

..."Adorned, Decorated and Engraved Lugers of Germany" by Reinhardt Goethe; (supposedly 'long out of print') cited by Martin above? Have you ever heard of it? I've collected bibliographies from most of the gun books I've ever gotten my hands on (some of the books and biblios pretty arcane); and, like John, I haven't found it listed anywhere. I have not checked the Library of Congress catalog nor do I have a copy of Riling's compendium; so I don't consider the search ended yet. What say you, sir?

Unread 09-05-2001, 11:15 PM   #25
Ad.

Default Kyrie, never mind...

I just backed up on the string and got the pie full in the face. Good one, Martin. You owe each of us a round (of our choosing) whenever we can chase you down. (sotto voce)-It WAS Pretty good. mutter, mutter)