LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-17-2003, 01:45 AM   #1
kidvett
User

Post A simple question...

Just a simple question to get everybody opinion on the subject....

Luger pistol has small surface scattered rust spots...Leave as is OR gently remove with 0000 steel wool

kidvett
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 03:09 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts
I remove them, or at least reduce them, with 0000 steel wool and gun oil, gently as you stated. For heavier encrustations, I use a flattened brass rod or an empty cartridge case to scrape down the rust without damaging the metal or the blue. The brass traces left on the blue can then be removed with the 0000 steel wool/oil. Gently applied, both processes will not harm a rust blue finish. It stops the active rust and leaves the finish looking much better, although not restored to original.
I consider such treatment to be maintenance and not "boosting". If I am wrong, break out the horsewhip.
Unread 08-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Kidvet, I generally remove any active rust, particularly under the grips, from Rust Blued PO8s with a stainless steel brush and solvent. This will stop the rusting, if then coated with a liberal coating of Rig, or other gun grease. TH
Unread 08-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
trigger643
User

I second the above. I also use 0000 steel wool. if the rust is scaley, I also use a brass punch to GENTLY scrape off. I have found nothing better than Breakfree CLP Oil and Tetra gun grease as a cleaner and preservative/protector. I use the CLP during the removal process, then liberally coat the weapon with Tetra (liberally applied with a patch). Rig is equal to the task. The worst you can do is remove too much. many finishes are ruined because someone will get to enthusiastic about removing a few speckles of rust and take a good chunk of bluing with it.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
Marvin
User

Hello All,

Lugerdoc has has the one of the best ways to remove active rust with the stainless steel brush and solvent. After this treatment, I use Bronze Wool in various grades instead of steel wool. The bronze will not harm the finish where steel wool will if not used properly. The only place I have found the Bronze Wool is from Brownells, and it is more expensive than steel wool, but worth the little extra on an expensive Luger. Just my .02 cents worth.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Great to hear from you Marvin! Hope all is well with you.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
Herb
User

I have a byf 42 that had a pretty fair splattering of chunky rust on the left front of the barrel. I used a single edge razor blade and oil to literally 'cut' it off, worked great. Hold the blade edge nearly flat with the surface to avoid scrapes and then just cut it off. First soak the rusty spot in oil, I let mine set overnight to loosen the rust.
Unread 08-23-2003, 08:19 PM   #8
saxman
User

Thanks for the tips. I have a Remington 'old army' .44 that has a nice brown patina but also has some flaky rust spots that I have been intending to remove. I like the idea of soaking them in a penetrant then using a brass case or punch to dislodge them. I also have a 1925 Colt .22 auto (pre-woodsman) that had some flaky rust in a few spots. I soaked it in penetrant then used Brownells brass wool. Dark spots remain, but that is far better than rust. By the way, what a wonderful .22 pistol this is, and it definitely has a Luger influence in it's shape.