LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 10-30-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
Tony S.
User

Post 1906 AE Question?

I need your help with this one. First, can you determine from picture if it is a Long or Short frame. Second, What do you think about the number on the Side Plate when compare to the one on the take down lever?
According to owner, this is 97%, all matching. Value, any ideas??
I am still a newbie at this and any input is well appreciated. I just don't want to get stuck with something that is not worth my time nor hard earn money. Thanks for your help.
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/DSC00277.JPG
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/DSC00281.JPG
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/DSC00282.JPG
[img]confused.gif[/img]
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2002, 10:26 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Tony,
The pictured 1906 has the short frame. Drop down to the Navy Lugers and look at the frame on Tom A's '04 Navy for a long frame. The entire contour of the front of the frame on a long frame is different.
I would hate to make a judgement call on the sideplate just from the pictures, but the color and wear seem to be consistent with the rest of the pistol.
Again this is just a judgement call, but I don't see a 97% Luger. It shows more than 3% wear and the blue that is there is very thin in places. The grip checkering has been chased by someone that didn't know what they were doing. My guess on value would be in the $1000/1200 range unless the pistol looks better than the pictures.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2002, 11:40 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts
Adding to what Johnny has said, it appears to me that the front sight is either "special order" or a custom replacement. My guess is the latter. In any event, it does nothing for it's collectability.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2002, 11:55 PM   #4
Johnny Peppers
User

Doubs,
That front sight is seen on a number of '06 Lugers, but my personal opinion is that they were changed out by some previous owner who didn't like the standard front sight.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 12:50 AM   #5
Imperial Arms
Banned

Tony,

I agree with the opinions of Johnny and Doubs. The number on the sideplate is correct and the blue finish on his part is consistent with the rest of the pistol. Unfortunately, the grip checkering has been altered. According to the images, I would rate the condition of the pistol about 70%-80% original blue which as thinned quite a bit.

Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote