LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-31-2002, 01:27 PM   #1
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Blast from the past

Just got back from the backwoods, my Erfurt 1918 is now shooting at about 95%, new magazine really helped, tends to stovepipe on third round sometimes, the toggle sometimes doesn't lock down when chambering,light push down locks it, is 100% better than before, is as accurate as I can shoot. The Webley MK VI (made in 1917)shoots like a rifle, very accurate, very reliable, has a crack recoil instead of the kaboom of a 1911A1, the half moon clips are a little aggravating. Score: coffee cans full of holes, pleasant ringing in my ears (that's there all the time) and I love to shoot old military guns.

Roadkill

Unread 03-31-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
Doug
User

Default Re: Blast from the past

You will need to replace your mainspring with a stiffer one. This should solve your problem of the toggle not wanting to go down all the way.

Unread 03-31-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
R. Grady/Roadkill

Thanks, but I trimmed this one down two loops so the toggle would go back far enough to chamber. This gun is somewhere in the nearly right stage in which it could be the mainspring, the magazine, the bolt rails (non matching bolt), or the ammo. I tried three types and none were better or worse than the other. It would not feed with the old magazine. Anyway, if it worked just right I'd just have to get something else to work on. The last five rounds I fired went through perfectly.

Roadkill

Unread 03-31-2002, 04:22 PM   #4
66mustang

I quit using half moon clips Roadkill, I now use full mon clips, I bought some mroe off of e-bay for $10 for 10 or something like that. They work much better, I use them in my S&W 25.2 and my Webley!

Ed

Unread 03-31-2002, 05:30 PM   #5
R. Grady/Roadkill

Suggestions like that are why I hang around here. Makes too much sense. I didn't know there were full clips. I'll try to locate some. The half moon ones hung up when I tried to remove the hulls. How were they listed in Ebay?

Roadkill

Unread 03-31-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
66mustang

Default I see you found em ! (EOM)

Unread 03-31-2002, 07:14 PM   #7
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Re: case removal tool

Yup, sure did. I just need a little direction, I know what to do when I get started. Here's one of those " I thought everybody knew that" questions but I didn't so somebody else probably doesn't either. What is a 25-2 ? Both 66 Mustang and Rick used it. By the way 66 Mustang, you didn't raise the bid up on me or outbid me, did you?

Unread 03-31-2002, 10:03 PM   #8
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Re: case removal tool

Thanks, new one for me. I used the half moon clips with the Webley MK VI because I thought you had to. Could I use 45 acp in it without the clip? I'm not sure that the primer would sit up high enough. I saw a few S&W 45s made for Brazil come through a while back. Are these the one's referred to? Big gun.

Roadkill

Unread 03-31-2002, 11:20 PM   #9
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Re: context

Don't apologize, I started this thing anyway. Can't help it, I'm hooked on military guns and constantly want to learn. And I do tend to get off on tangents. Its just that my overall perspective has been broadened since the getting run over thing. Thanks for the info.

Roadkill

Unread 04-01-2002, 12:58 AM   #10
66mustang

Default Re: context

Hello Rick and Roadkill, I know OT, but here is what I know.

I have a Webley that was reamed out to 45 ACP, I have shot it with and without moon clips, or as Rick said, I also have 2 shot clips and some half moon. The half moon worked best for me if I ground the corners down, otherwise they sometimes catch on the frame.

The Smith and Wesson 25-2 (I think the 45 Long Colt is the 253 if I remember correctly), can do the same thing. It was made from the 60's or so.

I used to have a S&W 1917, that is the one you are thinking of Roadkill, the Brazilians I have seen are beat up pretty bad. The US S&W 1917 was made to fill in the gaps during WW1, when not enough 1911A1's could be made, Colt also produced a .45 Revolver, same idea.

I LOVE military guns, that is why I love the Luger, I collect and like to fire guns, esp the WW2 era guns.

Best to all,

Ed Tinker AKA 66mustang

Unread 04-01-2002, 01:10 AM   #11
66mustang

Default Oh, and...

I don't recommend shooting without a moon clip, as the .45 ACP does not have a rim, and they slide around a bit, which can be bad,

Like Rick said, I like the 45 auto rim really well, and bought some brand new brass cases off of e-bay a month or two ago, they work really sweet.

Of course, I reload lighter rounds for the Webley, then I do for the 25-2.

Ed

Unread 04-01-2002, 10:39 AM   #12
tom h

Default Re: Moonclips

RK, I have both full and half moon clips for the 45acp available @$1/set or 6 sets for $5. Also have loading/unloading tool avaiable for $5 more postpaid. Tom Heller POB 398 St.Charles, Mo. 63302.

Unread 04-01-2002, 10:55 AM   #13
tom h

Default Re: Brazilian contract

M1917 models were delivered in 1938 and slightly different than the US WW1 model. See Jink's "History of S&W" page 205. Tom h.