LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-15-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Lloyd in Nevada
User

Post Steyr (Pieper) M1908/34 7.65 Austrian Police Rig

I have been on the "lookout" for one of these ever since I found the smaller Steyr M1909 in 6.35mm at the Las Vegas Antique gun show a while back. Althoug certainly not a Luger in terms of sheer elegance and sexiness these pistols exhibit some of the same characteristics we love in Lugers--namely the excellent craftsmanship and fit and finish. There is one on Bob Adams web site that I had considered that is in very nice condition. However, I just couldn't convince myself to buy it at that price. So I have been looking everywhere and finally found one from a collector thinning out his collection--it was worth the wait and the price was exceptional. These pistols exhibit a very high degree of precison machining and are a testament to the skillful work of old world craftsman. The Steyr M1908 pistols were reworked in 1934 for the Austrian Police and "beefed up" becasue of some slide and other parts deterioration issues thus the 1908/34 designation. When Austria was aborbed by the Third Reich the Austrian police became part of the NNPS. Some of these pistols are commercial Eagle/N proofed (after 4-1-1940) most have Austrian proof marks and many bear the Austrian State Security Service "S.W." markings on the rear/back grip strap. This one is of that group. Mr. Still says these pistols are listed in the 1943 German Police weapons manual--see "Axis Pistols" page No. 248 upper photo description Figure 70a.

This one is serial number 51219 P and Austrian Police district marked on the rear grip strap SW. 7663. This pistol has full checkered wood grips but they also came with black hard rubber grips with the Steyr logo. Each magazine is marked with that 7663 number and further marked number I and number II. The pistol also came with an original excellent condition Austrian hardshell holster (which is one of two (2) kinds made for this pistol). This holster is exactly like the one pictured in the book "German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945" Volume III page No. 253 by Robert D. Whittington III. The holster is not marked. The pistol is all matching and in very excellent condition.

I have also included a picture showing both the Steyr M1909 (mentioned above) and the Steyr M1908/34 for comparison. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if anyone else has one of these pistol I know I would very much enjoy seeing a picture of it. Any further information or details about these fascinating pistols anyone can provide is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Lloyd in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Nothing like fine old world craftsmanship is there Congrats!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
Jack Lawman
User

Talking

I know Lloyd has seen this 1908 before, but I wanted to illustrate the fuctional superiority of the /34 reconfiguration.

As originally designed, a failure-to-fire (dud,light hit) necessitates the operator to break open the pistol, dig out the unfired round, close the action, and chamber a new round. There is no extractor on the bolt. The very small serrated area on the slide (and minuteness of the slide itself) make it difficult for a large handed person to operate the slide.

As I understand, the /34 adds an extractor and beefs up the slide. These are "common sense" features on a military/police sidearm.

Nice pick-up Lloyd,
Jack
Unread 05-21-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,694 Posts
Holy mackerel, you guys have some beautiful guns! As a fan of early self-loading handguns, these examples make my eyes water.
Unread 05-21-2004, 02:51 AM   #5
Aaron
Banned

I'm pretty sure I was at that Las Vegas show and walked right by your first Styr due to lack of interest. After seeing your great presentation I will be a lot wiser next time!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2004, 12:43 AM   #6
Lloyd in Nevada
User

Thanks John, Jack, Ron and Aaron for your nice comments. Jack, thanks for posting pictures of your excellent and beautiful condition 1908/34. Yes, I have seen pictures of your beauty before. I think over on Jan's site--your pictures inspired me in my hunt for the one I found. I like wood grips but those black grips really make the 1908/34 stand out in my view (sort of like a Black Widow Luger)! They are a wonderful and interesting pistol of extraordinary craftsmanship, fit and finish with an almost art deco kind of look. Thanks again gentlemen!
Lloyd in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote