LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 05-09-2023, 05:50 PM   #1
USMA82
New User

Default Help With Evaluation

I recently acquired an Artillery Luger from a friend who was cleaning up his father's estate. I am not a collector, and would appreciate some assistance in determining it's condition, originality, and value. If any members are in the greater Huntsville, AL area (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Birmingham) and would consider meeting me, please respond to LindbergJohn@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
John

I have attached a PDF collection of photos as the individual JPGs were too large to upload. Here's what I know about this rig.

I recently purchased it from the son of the owner here in Huntsville. The father worked for the Army in the early days of the rocket/space program and bought the rig from one of the German scientists/engineers in the late 50's / early 60's. The son does not believe the father ever fired it, just kept it in the safe. I disassembled and cleaned/oiled the pistol, cleaned and added some orange oil to the wood, and treated the leather with Pecard's antique leather preservative.

All numbers outside and inside the pistol match. The grips are not numbered. Bore is clean and bright. One of the magazines is numbered, but does not match this pistol, the other magazine is not numbered. Comparing this pistol to one at Simpson's advertised as 97% (listed for $10K), the finish on my pistol is significantly better.

The stock is also numbered to the pistol. The name "Leo. Gett" is lightly inscribed in the stock. I looked at some Huntsville phone books from the era and could not identify Mr. Gett.

The holster is not numbered, but is stamped with the matching 1917 date. One of the keepers has separated from the leather strap, but I have the keeper. Both the cleaning rod and loading tool are present.

The drum magazine is not numbered that I can see, the dust cover is present.

Any suggestions as to value would be most appreciated. If any additional info or photos would help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Luger Photos.pdf (6.97 MB, 116 views)

Last edited by USMA82; 05-27-2023 at 06:24 PM.
USMA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2023, 08:12 PM   #2
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Why not just post pictures of the Luger. You will get all the information you need. Super knowledgeable people on this forum that love to help.
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 05-09-2023, 10:42 PM   #3
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

This link may help. You can find it by search for "Uploading Photos"

Go here: https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthr...loading+photos

Once you have the photos, the website editor, in "ADVANCED" mode, will give you prompts to upload documents or photos. It's is pretty straightforward stuff, but I find it easiest from a desktop computer. Make sure the pop-up blocker allows the web site (LugerForums.com and forum.lugerforum.com), or the UPLOAD window may not show up.

Photos of a dark gun can be challenging. We recommend taking pictures with a digital camera or cell phone camera, over a dark background and using outdoor lighting (overcast is best, not in direct sunlight). Photo each side, top, bottom, front and back. It takes some practice, but we can tell you a lot about the luger with photos.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 05-28-2023, 09:35 AM   #4
USMA82
New User

By the way, the non-matching magazine is # 6757. If anybody on this forum has that pistol, we should talk.
John
Unread 05-28-2023, 04:20 PM   #5
Daniel76
User

Interesting. I would add the following...

~Simpson's is a retail business, and even at that, they are considered at the very high end (if not over the side) of retail for just about anything they sell. If you really want a better estimate of what the rig will sell for, go look at completed Gunbroker auctions that have the same set-up as yours. I believe a matching (matching stock, pistol, drum magazine, holster set-up similar to yours sold not long ago for about $7500 IIRC).
~As a wartime luger, it will have a date rolled across the top of the receiver. That well could make a significant difference in the value of the entire rig.
~It will also have a manufacturer stamped into the toggle across the top as well. It will be a scrolled 'DWM' or "Erfurt'. That also, will make a difference in the price valuation. For example, 1917 DWM's are the most common, whereas 1914 DWM's are very rare. Erfurt only made artillery lugers for one year, so they will be priced accordingly.
~The drum magazine is a Bing/Nurnberg Type II and it is also serial numbered correctly and appears to be matching (to itself, not to the pistol. They were not serial numbered to guns). You have the dust cover for it as well which is nice.
~The matching stock is a big plus. From the looks of the scratching in it, I don't believe the Leo. Gett is a recent owner. It looks like it may have been scratched on there by a previous owner, perhaps the gentleman who captured it. Not uncommon for tommies/GI's to do that sort of thing, but would have been extremely unusual for a German soldier of any era to do that.
~The other stamping on the stock (Gr. Regt 110), someone who excels in that area will likely clear that up. Grenadier Regiment 110?
~Leather looks to be original and in good condition. Most straps and stock fittings are in poor shape or missing altogether. The cleaning rod appears to be original, as does the tool, but again, better and closer pictures will tell the story for sure.

You have a super nice rig that is very collectible. The additional pictures will tell a lot more and there are real experts on this site that will fill in all the missing details and correct anything I've err'd in.
Daniel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to Daniel76 for your post:
Unread 05-28-2023, 06:18 PM   #6
gunnertwo
User

I second the opinion from Daniel76 on valuation.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #7
USMA82
New User

Many thanks, Daniel76, for your input. I will do some research in the US WWI veteran archives to see if I can identify Mr. Gett.

The pistol is indeed a DWM 1917 model. The attached photo of the top of the toggle didn't make it into my earlier collection for some reason.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Luger Toggle.pdf (129.8 KB, 81 views)
The following member says Thank You to USMA82 for your post: