LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-16-2022, 03:56 PM   #21
spripple33
User

Default almost got me too

Gunbugs,

This SUCKS and I really hope it works out ok for you! I almost went for the one Kiwi posted a link to and was waiting on an answer to a question when it sold but I damn near just bought it. Stupid scammers...
spripple33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spripple33 for your post:
Unread 11-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #22
Roadster 02
User

Just think if these jackwagons were to apply all their brainpower to constructive uses, instead of figuring out ways to cheat and scam folks out of their money.
Roadster 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Roadster 02 for your post:
Unread 11-20-2022, 12:30 AM   #23
RWBlue01
User

You know I agree there are some issues with GB, but I am 26 purchases in and have a problem.
I think part of it is because I am paranoid and download photos and then do google search on the photo. I also look up addresses and see if it makes sense.
RWBlue01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2022, 03:57 AM   #24
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,106 Times in 370 Posts

Well. I'm probably almost at 1,000 transactions on GB. (Not everybody leaves feedback). This is the first time I've had a serious issue. I've sold over 100k in guns on GB this year. Partly my fault for not being more diligent. It's not going to scare me off. I've got a Simpson police on the way. (Bought on GB). I'll just be a little more careful in the future. In the big scheme of things, this too shall pass. I haven't spent much time being upset. Life is too short. Just move on to the next deal. If I'm ever in Port St Lucie, I might do a little poking around.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 11-20-2022, 03:10 PM   #25
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

Here is a rundown of my related activities to add to this dogpile.

I've sold Erma parts on GB in close to 500 transactions. I accept PayPal, USPS money orders, and personal checks. The only problem ever encountered was a magazine I sent to Puerto Rico that was lost by USPS, with which I exclusively ship parts.

I've bought and sold several GB guns, also without a problem. Granted, they are shooters, not high end collectibles, so I'm generally not operating in an arena where big sums of money are involved--which may help explain the lack of trouble.

Several years ago, I caught a fresh GB listing for a Navy, committed to the asking price, and was gathering funds for the payment when my FFL dealer pointed out a problem with the "seller's" FFL copy, which had the holder's name and address doctored. That stopped the deal cold, of course, so no loss of money.

After doing a little digging for the heck of it, I found the same gun, same pics, listed on two other auction/listing sites. One of the listings was made by the actual owner and was legit, but he was asking more for it, which figures. I reported the scam listing on their sites. The scammer seemed to be located in Indianapolis or wherever, and I corresponded with the ATF's closest office and gave them the scoop. They are chronically understaffed/under-funded, so promised to do little or nothing, and that I wouldn't hear of any results thereafter. I posted the story here back then, but won't bother looking it up now.

Most of the guns I have were purchased from auction houses via Proxibid, which never presented any problems. No hangups, either, with deals made through the forum's WTS/WTB.
Unread 11-20-2022, 10:39 PM   #26
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ithaca....there is a whole lot of noise on the internet about PayPal holding accounts, not processing your funds, etc....have you had any problems recently doing business...?
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2022, 11:45 PM   #27
Roadster 02
User

Not to mention paypal is anti-gun. I personally don't do business with anyone who can't honor the 2nd.
The following 5 members says Thank You to Roadster 02 for your post:
Unread 11-21-2022, 02:41 PM   #28
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I got asked some credit check questions this week on GB, even though I had not bought anything. They didn't ask for further ID, but I had to identify previous addresses I lived at and a big purchase I had made 12 years ago. Oddly, it's the same things that I had to do for my Social Security and Medicare on-line accounts.

So, it may be true that they are tightening up their security. I sure hope so.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2022, 05:59 PM   #29
Roadster 02
User

Get your money back gunbugs?
Unread 11-23-2022, 08:45 PM   #30
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Nope. Don't think I ever will. I've placed calls to the Postal Inspectors in Florida, and Alaska and never received a reply. I'm pretty sure no one in the Post Office is capable of answering a phone call. I'm not worried about it. I've got other "fish to fry". Me complaining about it won't make things any better. So I'll just carry on.
The following 3 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 11-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #31
Roadster 02
User

Very sorry to hear that. One can only hope that these kind of scum are in the minority. I guess it's "buyer beware" .
Unread 11-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #32
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I'll freely admit I made a couple of stupid mistakes. Out of hundreds and hundreds of transactions, I'd never been scammed before. I let my guard down, and have learned a valuable lesson or two. Or three. Se La vie, Se La Guerre, Se La Merde.
The following member says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 01-23-2023, 11:46 PM   #33
Daniel76
User

Well...this pistol is back again. This time the seller is supposedly in St. Petersburg.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967941614

He's also got another entire rig (holster, stock & trommel mag) for the same price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967941616

Wonder what he'd do if I 'Bought It Now' and said I'd be right over tomorrow to pick it up in person.
Daniel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Daniel76 for your post:
Unread 01-24-2023, 11:28 AM   #34
Roadster 02
User

Always has to be some dirtbag that ruins it for the rest. I hope Karma is a beatch for this jerk.
The following 3 members says Thank You to Roadster 02 for your post:
Unread 01-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #35
Good-Day
User

Looks like he pulled the Listings

Agreed hopefully Karma catches up
Good-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #36
hayhugh
User

UUgio2 A(37)
No longer a registered user
Seller's Items for Sale
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2023, 08:45 PM   #37
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Looks like these jokers have figured out how to hack into other seller's accounts. A strong password is advised.
Unread 01-29-2023, 12:28 AM   #38
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaustin View Post
Ithaca....there is a whole lot of noise on the internet about PayPal holding accounts, not processing your funds, etc....have you had any problems recently doing business...?
Just noticed this question. Tom.

I've taken at least 300 payments for gun parts transacted via PayPal over at last 7 or 8 years. I'm aware of their stance/policy, so have never mentioned the word "gun" in any invoice, etc. Nary a hitch encountered, and although I haven't been listing for at least the last year or so--and cannot speak from a body of strictly recent experience--I was just paid via PayPal for an Erma firing pin and firing pin spring guide/ejector for an Ep-22 last week.
Unread 01-29-2023, 12:41 AM   #39
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Several years ago I caught a fresh listing for a Navy on Armslist, I think it was. At a right dandy price, so I committed to buy and began correspondence. While I was busy siphoning off a bit of my IRA to pay for it, my FFL dealer informed me that there was something fishy about the FFL copy he'd been sent. The number didn't line up with the name, and the address was in a different state...fraudulent indeed. I found the same gun listed on at least two other classified/auction sites, and the owner of the listing with the most realistic asking price turned out to be the real owner of the gun. I told him about the other sites and listings, and gave all the info to the seller's most local ATF office, which basically promised to do nothing.

In light of this, a good rule of thumb might be to make sure a valid FFL is sent before you let go of funds for a gun. Transacting through FFLs does provide the benefit of ability to verify what's on the other end of a deal, and provides accountability.