LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 08-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Talyn
User

Default 1906/24 Waffenfabrik Bern

Hi there,

A lady friend of mine has her deceased fathers' Swiss Luger. Based on my research it appears to be a 1906/24 Bern with my estimate of 90+% blue, a v.g - excellent bore, nice grips, 4.75 inch barrel with matching serial number as on the receiver. Swiss transfer-to-private-ownership stamping (P.45) on the front left side. I've estimated that the serial number indicates it's made in approx. 1927.

If anyone can confirm/correct my findings and/or provide more info I'd appreciate it.

I'd also appreciate an appraisal of its value since it is available for sale and located in northern Minnesota. Included is an original manual and two magazines. When an appropriate value has been determined it will be posted for sale.

I have some pictures uploaded to an album so you can view the pistol there. The pictures were taken in natural light and the blueing looks better than the pics show.

Regards,

Alan

Pictures here:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/album.php?albumid=146

Last edited by Talyn; 08-02-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Additional info
Talyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Guisan
User

My only problem with your text is the "private sale stamping" as there was no sale at all, it was handed over into private hands after an ending military career and de-militarized by stamping a P into it, from 1964 on it was just that P-stamp without the year.

Guisan.
Guisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
panda
User

A Swiss officer retiring after only 15 years or so officer duty... seems very short in 1945. As far as I know they would not be retired before the age of 50 in those days.
panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Talyn
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
A Swiss officer retiring after only 15 years or so officer duty... seems very short in 1945. As far as I know they would not be retired before the age of 50 in those days.
P.45 does not mean the age of the person who got this pistol but the year in which the pistol was transferred to who received it.

Lugers were adopted by the Swiss in the early 1900's.
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Good looking piece. Compare with these:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?...fdfdbebfdb1f95
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
panda
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
P.45 does not mean the age of the person who got this pistol but the year in which the pistol was transferred to who received it.

Lugers were adopted by the Swiss in the early 1900's.
Thanks for the info...

Now... if your luger was manufactured in 27 and handed out to a young and fresh officer in 28 or 29 (obviously it cannot have been earlier). It would mean that this officer would have served at most for 16 or 17 years in this capacity before being released from duty in 1945. Right?

Now being appointed officer at the age of 33 (to go for 17 years up to the age of at least 50 with this gun) in the Swiss army is rather unusual... if you don't make it by the age of 25-27 (which would make you 42-44 at release from duty), probably you missed the officer's train.

It would seem to me that the military carrier of the first owner of this gun seems to be quite unusual.
panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Talyn
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNorm View Post
Good looking piece. Compare with these:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?...fdfdbebfdb1f95
I have been there already and was advised to come here for an appraisal since this was the place to be for Lugers.
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
Talyn
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
Thanks for the info...

Now... if your luger was manufactured in 27 and handed out to a young and fresh officer in 28 or 29 (obviously it cannot have been earlier). It would mean that this officer would have served at most for 16 or 17 years in this capacity before being released from duty in 1945. Right?

Now being appointed officer at the age of 33 (to go for 17 years up to the age of at least 50 with this gun) in the Swiss army is rather unusual... if you don't make it by the age of 25-27 (which would make you 42-44 at release from duty), probably you missed the officer's train.

It would seem to me that the military carrier of the first owner of this gun seems to be quite unusual.
More likely it was issued to an older officer who lost his first one in a marine ampibious exercise on Lake Lucerne so he needed another sidearm. He retired in 1945, the Luger was stamped and taken home only to be lost as collateral in a poker game with a US Navy officer who brought it to the US. The unusual part is the secret existance of Swiss Marines.

Just kidding of course.

Last edited by Talyn; 10-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.