LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 10-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #21
manowar3
User

Guess what, all Swiss Parabellums have had nothing but steel jacketed rounds shot through them when they were in service in Switzerland.

Last edited by manowar3; 03-07-2009 at 05:08 AM.
manowar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
Fredo
User

hi
I heard a lot of stories about steel case and cupper case, but most of the time the steel case were considered has better because they were not making metal deposit in the bore. Of course, this depends strongly how much shoot you're accepting before getting a loss of accuracy. For exemple, the new STGW 90 which equips our troops his considered by sharp shooter has not accurate enough after 5000 rounds. When you think about 900 Swiss francs for a new barrel!!!! . I was a gunsmith in the swiss army and for us, the most important things was not shoot to strong amunition in order to avoid mechanical damages. But The Luger were made to shoot a 50 meters range, so it still need a sharp and strong cartridge

Best regards from the Country of the Swiss'ones
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #23
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,866 Times in 1,184 Posts

Well, you may consider the idea that since no metal deposits are left in the barrel, it is sort of confirming that steel jacketed ammunition actually takes steel from the barrel instead?

The fact that deposits of lead and brass are left behind is simply the fact that the softer metal is damaged during the launch, and not the harder barrel material itself, which will create a need for regular cleaning. And one thing most soldiers have more than enough time for, especially those in countries that never go to war, is cleaning.

Anyway, this may be interesting from an army point of view, where the standards set and maintained for fire arms are aimed at a different set of goals as opposed to the average sports/recreational/historic shooter who just wants to enjoy his gun with as little damage as possible for as long a time as possible. This is why I still stand by my advice not to shoot steel jacketed ammunition in collectible/historic firearms.

I handle the SIG PE90 regularly and I must say that I can confirm that it can't take the beating a 20 year older Colt AR15 used by the same people, with the same ammunition, under the same conditions can (and does). Rapidly declining accuracy, parts breakage, and general down time are relatively high.

A thought: After WW2, and lots of steel jacketed 9mm, what was the single most part that was replaced on the average P08 by the DDR who refurbished many? Yep: The barrel...
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #24
biffj
User

I'm new to the forum but have been working with and shooting machineguns for many years. I can say from experience that the copper "plated" or copper "washed" bullets have essentially the same effect on barrel wear that copper jacketed or gilding metal jackets do. The plating acts as a lube and despite the steel there is no more wear. In most firearms the principal cause of wear is from the erosion in the throat area because of the hot powder gasses. The throat wear will decrease the accuracy more than wear in the rest of the bore. The other factor in wear is heat and most pistol barrels will never get to the level where heat is a real factor in wear. Submachineguns rarely get to that level of temperature either and will fire many more rounds in a shorter time. I'd say that your lugers will be safe to shoot with the copper washed steel jacketed bullets.

Reinhardt
biffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #25
Mauser720
User

Gentlemen -

Were mercuric (corrosive) primers ever a problem with the 9mm ammunition which some countires may have used?

Mauser720 - Ron
Mauser720 is offline   Reply With Quote