Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 08-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #21
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Default Re: A&F Luger in AZ State

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ebbink
Why a 2-line inscription on a 7,65 mm gun...???...
This one has been percolating in the back of my mind, and a possible answer has occurred to me.

These guns would have been shipped from Switzerland stamped "Made in Switzerland".

If, as seems likely, the "Abercrombie and Fitch" stamp was applied after import by A&F, there would need to be enough blank space available on the barrel to apply the roll-die in line with the export mark. If not, the only option would be to apply the "A&F" stamp as a separate line. This speculation assumes that the export mark would have been stamped simply to satisfy U.S. import requirements, without regard to the possibility of later stamping, and the fit of the full inscription on one line is simply conicidental. It is easy to imagine that the A&F roll die was made on the basis of measurement of an example on which there was plenty of room, and the variation of available space came as a surprise.

Casual measurement of the A&F two-line pictured in Kenyon reveals that, although there is actually sufficient room for a one-line stamp, the front sight would likely interfere with the actual application.

Measurement of the pertinent details on observed examples might prove enlightening.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #22
LugerVern
User

Dwight

I like your theory:
The single line guns are made up of two separate dies so they were applied at different times, that supports your theory but are the two line guns a single die or again applied separately?
I have not researched that aspect ΓΆ??interesting

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote