LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 08-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
spikedmike
User

Default Surprised

Today I went to the Crossroads Gun Show at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa,California....
I was really surprised to see about five dealers displaying their Lugers.
One had High-end Swiss and artillerys. Saw one low-end shooter.Anyway,the shows I've attended in the past have had zero or one to sell. But today I was having fun checking them out.Then I see these signs in display cases that say''These guns are for display only and are not for sale"... What's the point?!
Maybe the dealers are flooding the market out here and cashing in on the higher prices. Or visa versa..
Had fun today.Might go back tommorrow.. -Mike-
Unread 08-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Mike,

"Gun Shows" were originally conceived to do just that, show guns. Collectors gathered to display their collections, and trade. They have evolved into "gun sales".

I remember when you very rarely saw a "dealer" at a gun show. In fact most dealers wouldn't even attend gun shows because it was too hard to sell for a profit.

Eventually the dealers slipped in and took over the shows. Then prices began to climb and are still climbing.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

And in many instances the gun shows are actually flea markets, considering much of which is being sold there.
Unread 08-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Hi James,

Yup! We call some of them "Jerky and Dog Collar" shows.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

Michael,

Just because a table-holder has a table does not necessarily mean he/she is a dealer.

Lots of private collectors buy "display" tables and some of the gun shows have a lower price for a display table versus a "sales" table.

Collectors will set up to "show off" their collections at just such display tables.

It may also be a way for a collector to let folks know at the gun show what his/her area of collecting might be and they will hope for a "walk in" to bring out a nice piece out of their back-pack...

If you hold a display table, you cannot sell...but nothing prevents one from buying.

On the other hand...some folks use the "for display only" sign to sort of "weed out" the tire-kickers at gun shows.

I have actually purchased two of my Swiss Lugers from such private collectors which had displayed such a sign. If you sepnd enough time talking with such a collector and admire their collection, you may find they may really want to sell some of their pieces off...but he/she wants to determine if you are serious and know what you are looking for.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
tenbears
User

I too was at the Costa Mesa gun show yesterday. And saw the Lugers you were talking about. The guy who had the made up 1906 carbine in the fancy oak glass display cases had a number of fine early Lugers. Only one problem most of them were salt blued refinished. And yet he commanded some very high prices in the 4k to 6k range! I have not and probadly will not buy a Luger at a CA gunshow. It's too much of a mine field for me. I'm thinking about getting a table their next time due to the massive amount of people that attended the show. As mention I think most gun shows have turned into a flea market.
tenbears is offline   Reply With Quote