LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 08-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
grapppa
User

Default Travel on plane with guns?

Is it out of the question to travel (to the NAPCA show) on plane with pistols? I'd like to bring a few lugers... I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is out of the question.
grapppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

no, it is totally okay. PROVIDED, they are unloaded and in luggage that goes in the hold. In addition, make sure you have an approved, lockable container (I have used fairly cheap as "approved"), AND finally declare them to the desk people. They will contact the TSA folks and they the TSA folks will come out, look them over, check that they are unlaoded and may or may not lock them in front of you. I have shipped guns 3 or 4 times since 9-11 and never had a problem.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

One and only time I flew back from the SOS with a new Swiss piece in my checked bags...

The airline folks insisted on placing a color-coded tag on my checked-bag...basically it said..."gun located inside".

Upon arrving at the Oakland, CA airport, my bag was 2 flights late and showed up "sans" the locked pistol case.

Luckly my collectors insurance made good on the loss and I think I got $ 500 eventually from the airline...but nearly 8 months later.

It helped to have a signed sales receipt from the seller at the SOS show.

I will only UPS-ship it (C&R) to myself now...after leaving a gun show out-of-state...you need to do it at a "manned" UPS center and not just a drop box...this usually means a stay over until the following Monday if I bought anything.

I travel with all the UPS flat boxes and labels in my suit case when going to gun shows.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
azlaw
User

The TSA rules now prohibit special marking of firearms, for just the reason you cite - it was a "steal me" tag. I have flown with firearms, and it is OK, except that airline personell have no clue about guns, and sometimes ask for absurd things. The rules of the moment are at:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

Keep in mind that the TSA rules have no relation to local rules. I knew a guy who was arrested in Boston for bringing a firearm to BOS from NH in violation of Boston laws. Happy travels.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
davidkachel
User

I fly with one pistol all the time. I sort of understand their concern, but the whole routine is monumentally stupid.
They are supposed to examine the weapon to make certain it is not loaded. Most of the time you get someone who cannot tell the difference between a loaded weapon and a hot dog with sauerkraut.
I have had airline clerks pick up guns they admit to knowing absolutely nothing about and start manipulating them to see if they can figure out how to determine if they are loaded or not. This is an incredibly stupid thing the airlines are forcing people to do. What if the damn thing WAS LOADED!!
Then the TSA idiots have to get in on the act, as if they had the slightest idea what they were doing. They have to open the suitcase to see if the gun case is in there, because lord knows lots of people lie and say they have a gun in their suitcase when they really don't! Then they have to open the gun case and duplicate the same stupidity the ticket clerk already committed.
Now let's see... prior to all the anti-gun stupidity and metal detector nonsense, back in the days when I could and did carry a pistol on my person on every flight, and so did all my friends, and much of America I'll bet, the number of accidental firearms discharges in the passener area or in the baggage compartment were, um, let me see now, oh yeah now I remember... ZERO DAMMIT!!!
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I had no problem when I (and others) carried firearms on board. Never heard of an accidential discharge.

As to suit cases, remember those that are inspected by TSA are marked and not opened later. So if you d not want people pawing through your stuff, declare that it has fireamrms in it.

Two years ago at Delta (in Cincinnati) I had two suit cases, one with firearms and the other without. I asked the clerk to send both through TSA as both would have powder traces in/on them. (They used to do this.)

I was bluntly (shall we say) informed that this would not be done as the one case did not have any guns in it. So, since the case with the guns was already opened, I opened the other case and transferred one pistol to it.

Oh boy was she pissed, but she could not do anything about it and both cases went to TSA.
Unread 08-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
drbuster
User

With all due respect to the above posters who were lucky to have their firearms arrive OK, I think anyone who travels with an expensive collector's item in his baggage is asking for trouble, despite following all the rules. I have read many gun magazines listing stolen collector's guns over the years, and most of them seem to disappear at airports. Just like "buyer beware", I would even more suggest "traveler beware"!
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I traveled once with 14 pistols of large value. I worried on the way there and also on the way back. I doubt if I would do it again.
Unread 08-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
hqbmw
User

Quote:
Originally posted by azlaw
The TSA rules now prohibit special marking of firearms, for just the reason you cite - it was a "steal me" tag. I have flown with firearms, and it is OK, except that airline personell have no clue about guns, and sometimes ask for absurd things. The rules of the moment are at:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

Keep in mind that the TSA rules have no relation to local rules. I knew a guy who was arrested in Boston for bringing a firearm to BOS from NH in violation of Boston laws. Happy travels.

H
In addition to the Federal guidelines, one should check the airline's website on which you intend to travel. Each has to obide by the Fed, but have their own set of rules. I have often travelled with my carry guns and found the airline personnel and particularly the TSA to treat me quite nicely if I know their respective quidelines and rules. We must remember we are playing on their field with their rules. It always pays to know your opponent's strategies.