LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
1909AR
User

Default Artillery Luger Question?

I have just picked up a 1917 DWM Artillery luger that belonged to my grandfather. I really want to fix this pistol. The problem I have is that someone ground the stock lug off. The pistol has about 1/32" of the stock lug left on the frame. If anyone knows who can put the stock lug back on I would greatly appreciate it.
1909AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

This can be done, but it will be a very expensive restoration... You should consider what your budget would be for this project...

If the gun is not all matching serial numbers, you might fare better buying a shooter class gun with a stock lug from the same manufacturer and time period and switching the frames to restore your Artillery, and then re-selling the shooter class gun to recoup some of your investment... Just my $0.02...

Could you post some photos of this gun and especially the stock lug area so that more advice can be provide by some of the members who may have faced this issue...

Since the "modification" has eliminated any real historical value... the restoration would just restore its functionality and original glory, but will not increase its value to most collectors... Your sentimental value will far exceed the costs of restoration... I wish I had a grandfather who had left me a gun.

...I am anxious to see your Artillery...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
1909AR
User

I will try to get some pics up of the pistol if it would help. I plan to slowly have the Luger restored back as close to possible as I can. However the pistol is a 1917 all matching. I am becoming quite fond of these pistols and this particular one will never be for sale as long as I have it. As always any help is greatly appreciated.
Unread 09-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Amos,

Does the Luger have any markings on the grip strap?

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
1909AR
User

Thanks for the replies. Fist off to answer Ron, there are no marks on the backstrap of the pistol. In regards to finding a donor frame I had thought about purchasing a lug section from Tom Heller. The lug was ground off very neatly, whom ever ground the lug left about a 1/32" of the lug on the pistol and did not grind it flush with the backstrap. I will try to get pictures up to help. As far as restoration is concerned the pistol will have to be restored anyway. Right now the pistol is a work in progress but it will be finished one day. As always thanks for the replies
Unread 09-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I would recommend Art Buchanan or Hugh Clark for the replacement of the stock lug using a donor frame... Both have built Baby Lugers in the past by reducing the grip area in length size... it uses the same technique...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I second John's recommendations. TH