LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
1994Stoeger
User

Default Share your experience with nickel or chrome plated P08s

Hi - I am soliciting the forum's experiences regarding refinishing a previously plated (either nickel or chrome) P08.

Not looking to create a fake museum piece. I personally like the original blue or blue with straw, as appropriate. That being said, I have an opportunity to purchase a hideously plated P08. The metal condition underneath looks OK, no pitting and the proofs look intact. The gun doesn't appear to have been messed with prior to the plating many years ago.

My questions is:

How costly an endeavor is this? (I have gotten some crazy estimates - both low and high).
1994Stoeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Nickle can be taken off yourself, i did with some solution from brownells. then i had it restored for around $400, others charge more.

Chrome can be removed, but you need a place to do it usually, but there are ways to do either.

The problem many times is the small amount that remains stuck in difficult places, plus you have to clean the metal, thus more polishing
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
The problem many times is the small amount that remains stuck in difficult places, plus you have to clean the metal, thus more polishing
I believe I use the same stuff, but from Caswell Plating (MetalX). I have found that it only leaves a black coat of "something" that's easy to wipe or brush off, and as long as you have degreased all the nooks and crannies it will remove the plating without any problems. Last time I stripped a plated gun, the polished steel underneath was actually so bright that I wasn't even sure if the plating was gone or not, so it obviously won't etch the steel either. If the plating is in good condition, it should be pretty easy to just strip and blue, without much prep at all.

The problem with plated guns is usually the previous guy, if he buffed to hard, rounded off corners, dished out pinholes etc, it's difficult to make it look good again.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
1994Stoeger
User

Thanks for the insights. Been hearing widely different answers and widely different costs.

This leads to the next question, what is rust + straw bluing costing these days if the gun requires minimal or no metal work after the plating is stripped? Just looking for a ballpark idea - not looking to hold anyone to it. Just for my edification.
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Depends on who you get to do it..Last gun I had done was done by Charles Danner..rust blue was around $500 and took 30 days or so. I think he has a website?

There are many other guys..Cost and time vary depending on what you have to have done of course. Danner was inexpensive and quick. Two things I value and the rust blue was a good job. I don't generally recommend just anyone as it can backfire but I recommend him.

I sent the pistol completely broken down and it came back in one piece.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
1994Stoeger
User

Many thanks!
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
JimD
User

Taking the plating off can cause a fit problem. If the plating is thick, like the chrome one I had, it will loosen the entire gun up because of the loss of the thickness of plating. It can be remedied but is a PITA.