LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #61
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Cliff,

The "fluted"/"relieved" firing pin is easy to spot. Three cuts were made into their front ends, starting a bit behind the tip and extending back far enough to make notches in the front edge of the main body. The prevailing theory about why this operation was performed is that the three notches allow an escape route for high pressure gasses produced by a pierced primer, as opposed to turning the f.p. into a gas piston which rams back to destroy the firing pin guide and possibly the breech block itself. Some think the relief cuts were to allow the firing system to accommodate a greater accumulation of crud before binding from the buildup.
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #62
LU1900
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Some think the relief cuts were to allow the firing system to accommodate a greater accumulation of crud before binding from the buildup.
I agree with that !!
For pressure , in Finland or neighboring country, they do a hole under the breech : that works for this job !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breech_block_with_hole FINLANDE.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	42981  

The following member says Thank You to LU1900 for your post:
Unread 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #63
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Patrice, does this example have both a relief hole in the breech block and a relieved firing pin? I'm leaning toward pressure relief as the inspiration for the firing pin cuts, and see the relieved bolt as another option for doing the job. That would make longer operation without thorough cleaning an bonus--a not-necessarily-intended side-effect... if the pictured example is representative and does not have a relieved firing pin. If it properly has both, then the scale tips toward tolerance of debris! Since reference material recording such a change is missing--presumably forever--then we will never have a definitive answer.
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #64
LU1900
User

The hole seems to be on most of the Finland lugers , contrat WWII
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #65
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU1900 View Post
I agree with that !!
For pressure , in Finland or neighboring country, they do a hole under the breech : that works for this job !
Patrice,
Thank you for posting that breechblock modification. I tried to remember what country performed that modification. I responded to a question about a Luger that had two holes drilled in the breechblock like a Borchardt. I thought it might function like the hole drilled in the breechblock for pressure relief that this was done by some country but couldn't remember which one.
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #66
cliffdropover1
User

Nope, don't think I have ever seen the "fluted" firing pin/striker. All the ones I have seen start with a point the stretches back to a cone shape, no cuts at all. The pin is hollow to accommodate the striker spring and the spring guide. I have two Lugers and a friend's Luger and have not seen the pin you describe. My Luger is a 1920 Commercial all original with all matching parts. My other Luger is a 1917 Artillery with another date of /1920. I was told this reflected a factory overhall. The only part not numbered here is the firing pin, so we think it is a factory replacement. Thus the reason for the second date. It is in 9mm while the 1920 Commercial is .30 caliber.
This forum is fairly new to me and I only know enough about Lugers to get in to trouble. Again, I appreciate the help and information here.
cliffdropover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #67
cliffdropover1
User

Probably the final posting. I tried the #48 Lyman manual loading for .93 grain lead I got from
Western bullet. The manual shows 3.5 to 4.0 for Bullseye powder. Both worked well. The 3.5 was lower in felt recoil compared to factory and the 4.0 was closer in felt recoil to factory. I will use the 3.5 load as it worked. The reason this is probably the final posting from me is, as explained earlier, that this is my first handgun purchased over 50 years ago with Mom's help and one that she shot. It is a grand ol' lady that will be retired back in my safe. Thanks again to all that gave help.

Last edited by cliffdropover1; 08-27-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added information
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #68
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Glad to hear that you had a good loading experience with the Western Bullet 93gr LRN bullets. I, also, am pleased with how this projectile functions in my lugers. I understand why you want to keep this Luger safe and sound, and only shoot it on special occasions. I own a couple of special handguns also.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #69
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU1900 View Post
The hole seems to be on most of the Finland lugers , contrat WWII
Hi,

The Finns are extraordinary Riflemen!!

Anyone who can take a dog Mosin Nagant and turn it into a half-minute rifle at 100 meters, must be good!!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #70
cliffdropover1
User

I didn't think I would be adding anything but here goes. I found some new Starline brass for the .30 cal. at a gun show and had the .93 grain lead from Western bullet. The lead measures .309. Upon trying to reload some of these, I found I was cutting a lot of lead. I tried using a .32 cal. expander plug--bad idea for a number of reasons. Then I realized that an expander plug flares the brass just a bit. I then went for a chamfering tool. This deburred the inside of the case and allowed the lead bullet to seat a bit and with NO lead cutting. I also wanted to make sure the bullet would not move in the case and I measured the OAL and then struck the bullet nose against the table top. No change in OAL. Problem solved. Hope this may help others.
Unread 10-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #71
cliffdropover1
User

Finally scored some Unique powder at the Indy 1500 gun show yesterday. I will work up some loads.
Unread 10-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #72
K.Wilhelm
User

Cliff- glad that handloading the .30 Luger has worked out well for you. I really love shooting Lugers with the .30 cartridge even more than the 9mm ones. Bill
Unread 10-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #73
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Cliff,

I sure wish that I could find some Unique powder to purchase in my area.....glad you found some. I am interested in how, you and your Luger, like loading with this powder. It is working out real good for me currently.
Unread 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #74
cliffdropover1
User

I got the ol" girl back out of the safe and tried some .93 grain lead bullets with 4.5 and 5.0 of Unique. Both worked well, therefore I will stay with the lighter 4.5 load as she is an old girl and there is no need to stress her. She will return to the safe again, but it is fun to shoot her.
Unread 10-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #75
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I love it when a plan comes together!!! Congrats on developing additional loads that function well in your "old sweetie".