LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 07-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Dr.Mauser
User

Default Yes's and No's of shooting and ammo types

With my recent acquisition of my first P08, what and the Dr's and don'ts of shooting it. Such as, best ammo types, steel case or brass, and best types of loads?
Dr.Mauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

If it's 9mm, then Winchester white box, Sellier and Bellot, and Fiocchi in 115 gr or 124 gr, FMJ are the standard "yesses" for the P.08. The "no" would be anything hot, such as +p, +p+. or anything marked NATO. These tend to be too powerful and can damage your pistol. Steel cases can be problematic, so stick with brass. I've used aluminum cases in a couple of my other guns in .32 and .380, and they did fine, so also a possible option for Lugers if it's the same otherwise. It's good policy to outfit the shooter with a fresh set of springs. If yours proves cranky, let us know because there may be a fix for whatever ails it. I believe some extreme problems are sometimes solved with a custom load, specific to the pistol, and experimenting with the load, within reasonable parameters, will fine tune the point of impact.

If it's 7.65mm, then the S&B and Fiocchi are the standard. US made .30 Luger ammo is scarce and more than double the price per round of the imports, but if you can find and afford it, it should do OK, although I've heard rumors about Remington's alleged feeding problems. Many who shoot it reload, both to save money and tune their actions and performance. It would mean an initial outlay in the neighborhood of a handful of Ben Franklins for equipment and supplies, but it can be very satisfying in its results; and if you shoot quite a bit, it'll save a buttload of dough.

I think that's it, for the basics. Others will add more details, if necessary.
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Like David said, Winchester white box ammo. Get a Mec-Gar magazine, and clean and lube the gun properly prior to shooting. Don't stuff the mag. clear full. Grip the gun tightly, not loose or limp.
If this is the first time shooting that gun, load just one round a couple of times, then 2, etc. just until you are comfortable what it functions correctly, and visually inspect the gun after each round for the first few shots.
And most importantly of all, give us a range report.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

While we generally recommend the Winchester White Box ammo (115gn) there is nothing particularly magic about this brand.

You want either a 115gn or 124gn full metal jacket bullet in a standard velocity loading. Many manufacturers make 9mm Luger ammunition like this. Each uses a slightly different combination of primer and powder behind the bullet. They also may load to slightly different overall lengths. All of this affects the ignition pressure curve and ultimately the cycling of your firearm. It isn't magic, but it can be sensitive. Winchester loads their own FMJ 115gn bullets into their own cases using their own Winchester small pistol primers and Winchester 231 (Hodgen HP-38) powder.

If you have good operation and cycling using the Winchester white box ammo, stick to this.

If you have difficulty, ensure that the Luger is operating smoothly and is properly lubricated, then pay attention to your grip and hand / wrist / arm support. The recoil of a Luger must encounter the proper support resistance to cycle properly.

The thing to absolutely avoid in a vintage Luger is higher velocity ammunition. +P and surplus sub-machine gun or NATO power ammunition is to be absolutely avoided. You'll probably damage something.

The Luger grip angle and vertical ejection characteristics are rather unique and quite comfortable for accurate shooting. I think you'll enjoy it.
Unread 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Zorba
User

I've had good results with WWB, PMC, Magtech, Blazer Brass, and Freedom Munitions. YMMV.

I also bought a couple hundred rounds of 115gr FMJ reloads using "Bayou Bullets" which are SA-WEET.

The one (exactly one, count it) steel cased Nazi round I shot went bang like the rest, and the ancient iron core bullet exited the pistol in great haste...
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Zorba for your post:
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The fellas have covered everything you need to know in an expert fashion. Heed their suggestions and you should do fine. Let us know how things work out. Many times, if you do your part, these Lugers are scary accurate!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Well, nobody else has mentioned it, but I'll throw in my oddball $.02 worth...

Wear oversize safety glasses, a baseball cap (or western Stetson if you are in Occupied Mexico), and a shirt that you can button up the collar fairly snug...

It's been my experience that Luger P-08's/LP-08's, Mauser C96's/M30's, and Nambu T-14's eject fired cartridge cases straight up and back...Most of mine hit me square in the forehead, but several friends have gotten hot cases down their necks...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I always warn my students when they show up for class with open collars... it's particularly risky for some of the women.

Still - every so often, you hear someone on the range yell "hot brass!!!"...

Marc
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
saab-bob
User

I usually wear a baseball style cap when shooting a luger or a C96.The spent shells land on the cap bill.
Awhile back I was walking thru the living room and my daughter was watching "The Kardashian Show". One of the gals was learning to shoot a pistol( a SIG?) and a spent shell dropped right down her low cut blouse!
Now thats reality TV!
I also noticed that 4 inch high heels make a very unstable platform for target placement.

Bob
Unread 07-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab-bob View Post
...my daughter was watching "The Kardashian Show". One of the gals was learning to shoot a pistol...
Now, that is scary...That any Kardashian would be allowed to handle a deadly weapon...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
Dr.Mauser
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Now, that is scary...That any Kardashian would be allowed to handle a deadly weapon...
Haha I'd have to agree. Thank you all for the information! The buyer informed me that before listing the luger he put all new springs in her for me, put I do plan on buying a set from wolf as well. Aside from a Holster and rzm marked lanyard 3 or 4 mec-gar mags are on my to do list. No +p, +p+, hot loads, NATO marked or mil-surp sub gun ammo, check. I really appreciate all the help and info and yes, yes you drooling devils will get a range report once I'm able to get it out to the range. I'm living in Modesto, Ca until Tuesday, then it's back to the great state of Utah forever!!!

As far as shooting goes I usually wear an SS M43 feldmütze with the bill pinched to a nice sloppy V to the range with my original tortoise shell sunglasses because hot brass in your face isn't the key to a fun time, but having German gear like that is just an added perk to being a collector and WWII reenactor
Unread 07-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
MikeP
User

Some thinking exists that steel cases are particularly hard on extractors.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
Some thinking exists that steel cases are particularly hard on extractors.
I assume the Nazis didn't particularly care, all things considered.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
Dr.Mauser
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zormpas View Post
I agree haha from what I remember they used almost only steel case ammo didn't they?
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
saab-bob
User

Just a heads up!
Just got a E-mail blast that Midway USA has Fiocchi .30 Luger ammo in stock.
Price is almost normal.Not the easiest ammo to find.
http://www.midwayusa.com/?cm_mmc=pe_...MidwayUSA_logo
Take care!
Bob
Unread 10-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #16
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zormpas View Post
Hi,

The steel cased stuff was marked for Schmeissers, not pistols.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #17
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

quote: Wear oversize safety glasses, a baseball cap (or western Stetson if you are in Occupied Mexico), and a shirt that you can button up the collar fairly snug...

It's been my experience that Luger P-08's/LP-08's, Mauser C96's/M30's, and Nambu T-14's eject fired cartridge cases straight up and back...Most of mine hit me square in the forehead, but several friends have gotten hot cases down their necks...
unquote

Absolutely right: I awlays use a baseball sort of cap and glasses everytime I go shooting, still some years ago a very hot ejected brass somehow went between my glasses and my face, and for some time I went around with a burn mark under my right eye.
Unread 10-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #18
nukem556
User

Don't shoot prone with a guy on your left using a M1 Garand....that big 'ol .30-06 case will sear your skin and stick to it.....ask how I know !
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
S.B.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
While we generally recommend the Winchester White Box ammo (115gn) there is nothing particularly magic about this brand.

You want either a 115gn or 124gn full metal jacket bullet in a standard velocity loading. Many manufacturers make 9mm Luger ammunition like this. Each uses a slightly different combination of primer and powder behind the bullet. They also may load to slightly different overall lengths. All of this affects the ignition pressure curve and ultimately the cycling of your firearm. It isn't magic, but it can be sensitive. Winchester loads their own FMJ 115gn bullets into their own cases using their own Winchester small pistol primers and Winchester 231 (Hodgen HP-38) powder.

If you have good operation and cycling using the Winchester white box ammo, stick to this.

If you have difficulty, ensure that the Luger is operating smoothly and is properly lubricated, then pay attention to your grip and hand / wrist / arm support. The recoil of a Luger must encounter the proper support resistance to cycle properly.

The thing to absolutely avoid in a vintage Luger is higher velocity ammunition. +P and surplus sub-machine gun or NATO power ammunition is to be absolutely avoided. You'll probably damage something.

The Luger grip angle and vertical ejection characteristics are rather unique and quite comfortable for accurate shooting. I think you'll enjoy it.
Please, don't stop there, give us handloaders something to load in our Lugers?
I've a lot of Winchester 231 on hand but, how much with 115 and 124 grain bullets?
Steve
S.B. is offline   Reply With Quote