LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 05-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
Sieger
User

Default Buddy, Can You Spare A Pound

Friends,

I'll be heading to my home in Florida, in just two short weeks, and need your help in locating one pound each of the following smokeless powders.

Winchester WSF

VV N340

Ramshot True Blue

Winchester AutoComp

Ramshot Silhouette

These will be used in my comprehensive load development for both the 9mm and 7.65mm Luger cartridges.

Naturally, my full results will be published here on the site.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
nukem556
User

Good luck on that, Sieg...as you know, powder is pretty much non-existent on the shelves these days. Of the powders you listed, the only one I've see even a single can of in over a year was the Vihtavouri, and they wanted 39.00 a pound for it. The manufacturers have been "instructed" to tell us the factories are working 24/7 producing ammo and components and that demand is snapping up the supply as soon as its available. Uh huh. Well, I shoot Service Rifle, Long range Rifle, IDPA, and Sihlouette matches.....between those hundreds of guys and folks I know on numerous boards, NO ONE is getting anything. SO, where is it? One of the official excuses is there are lots of new gunowners and shooters as a result of the events of the past few years. Fine, but you know well that fewer than 5% of those novices have bought presses, primers and powder and started reloading.
This is the new normal...you cant take their guns, dry up their ammo. DOD just announced they're going to DESTROY over a billion dollars worth of small arms ammo because 'they lost track of the lot numbers and don't know how old it is". Total BS. When I was in Germany, we were firing .50cal ammo dated 1944.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
Good luck on that, Sieg...as you know, powder is pretty much non-existent on the shelves these days. Of the powders you listed, the only one I've see even a single can of in over a year was the Vihtavouri, and they wanted 39.00 a pound for it. The manufacturers have been "instructed" to tell us the factories are working 24/7 producing ammo and components and that demand is snapping up the supply as soon as its available. Uh huh. Well, I shoot Service Rifle, Long range Rifle, IDPA, and Sihlouette matches.....between those hundreds of guys and folks I know on numerous boards, NO ONE is getting anything. SO, where is it? One of the official excuses is there are lots of new gunowners and shooters as a result of the events of the past few years. Fine, but you know well that fewer than 5% of those novices have bought presses, primers and powder and started reloading.
This is the new normal...you cant take their guns, dry up their ammo. DOD just announced they're going to DESTROY over a billion dollars worth of small arms ammo because 'they lost track of the lot numbers and don't know how old it is". Total BS. When I was in Germany, we were firing .50cal ammo dated 1944.
Hi,

There is a little hand between the manufacturers and the wholesalers buying all of the powder.

One guess as to just whom this little hand belongs!?!

Oh, the DOD is going to destroy ammo worth over a billion? Is that a great surprise to any of us? The powder they are probably dumping in the ocean somewhere.

Someone really big, like the NRA, needs to get to the bottom of this latest fraud!!! This is, obviously, an action taken by the government against our rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment, and, by the way, at our own expense.

Someone needs to go to jail for this one!!!

Sieger
Unread 05-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I usually check daily on the Internet for powder that I am running low on. I also stop by my LGS when in the area. I have had ZERO luck finding Unique and Bullseye. Powder is about as available as .22LR ammo!!

Good luck in your quest. Check out Natchez Shooting as they seem to be getting a little in these days in 1lb containers.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
nukem556
User

Up until the last few years, ammo that the military deemed excess or unusable for whatever reason was sold to the highest bidder to be "de-milled". It was broken down to its components : brass, powder and projectiles. Pat's Reloading and Jeff Bartlett were the two biggest dealers in these surplus items. You could get 8lb jugs of 4895, WC844,846, AA#5, etc for great prices. No more. Under the current regime that sees armed citizens as a threat, these sales are now banned. They even tried to prohibit the sale of fired brass with the intent of shredding it into scrap brass. Only after the NRA and others officially protested was that new reg reversed.

So the situation now is....the DOD will spend more taxpayers money destroying billions of rounds of ammo that could be sold as components, to recoup some of the cost, and purchase NEW ammo, again at taxpayer cost, as well as putting more pressure on the "overwhelmed" ammunition manufacturers. And the "shortage" will continue....welcome to the Brave New World.

Last edited by nukem556; 05-03-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Sieger
User

Quote:
Up until the last few years, ammo that the military deemed excess or unusable for whatever reason was sold to the highest bidder to be "de-milled". It was broken down its components, brass, powder and projectiles. Pat's Reloading and Jeff Bartlett were the two biggest dealers in these surplus items. You could get 8lb jugs of 4895, WC844,846, AA#5, etc for great prices. No more. Under the current regime that sees armed citizens as a threat, these sales are now banned. They even tried to prohibit the sale of fired brass with the intent of shredding it into scrap brass. Only after the NRA and others officially protested was that new reg reversed.

So the situation now is....the DOD will spend more taxpayers money destroying billions of rounds of ammo that could be sold as components, to recoup some of the cost, and purchase NEW ammo, again at taxpayer cost, as well as putting more pressure on the "overwhelmed" ammunition manufacturers. And the "shortage" will continue....welcome to the Brave New World.
Hi,

Well, perhaps this government should see armed citizens as a
threat!!!!

Yes, I agree that all of that new ammo, you know, the ammo that some fool lost track of the lot numbers (even though its on every box) needs to be destroyed because they claim not to know how old it is.

Secondly, they do need to replace this "new scrap" ammo with all new ammo, obviously, because they have now learned how to track the lot numbers, as someone has discovered that it is on every box.

Again, someone needs to go to jail for this obvious fraud!!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 05-04-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
ChrisLL
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Friends,

I'll be heading to my home in Florida, in just two short weeks, and need your help in locating one pound each of the following smokeless powders.

Winchester WSF

VV N340

Ramshot True Blue

Winchester AutoComp

Ramshot Silhouette

These will be used in my comprehensive load development for both the 9mm and 7.65mm Luger cartridges.

Naturally, my full results will be published here on the site.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Sieger
Sorry, nothing over here Sieger. I thought I had seen some VV N340 but it was something else when I checked, and as of late even the Titegroup and Bullseye seems to have dried up. Best of luck on your search, we all profit by your load development.

Chris
ChrisLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/218...okeless-powder

Attention!
Due to extremely high demand for smokeless powder, shipping times have been extended. PLEASE NOTE: Powder ships separately approximately 4 to 6 weeks after order is placed. $27.50 Haz Mat plus $9.99 Shipping fees apply. Powder cannot be returned, 48 lb max, ground freight only, adult signature required. Sorry no shipments to HI or AK.

===================

http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/hcbull1.htm

Hazardous Materials Require an Adult Signature
ID required at delivery for proof of age. In the event that the package is not delivered after 3 attempts or refused, customer will be responsible for all associated shipping charges including Haz Mat fee.

===================

http://www.discountfirearmsusa.com/p...r-132252-1.htm

Sorry, this item is currently not available. Please check back soon.

===================

Looks like things are tough all over!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
nukem556
User

I'm not normally given to the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories, but this whole situation is very weird....My girlfriends brother is a pilot with Canada Air....he says the shelves in Toronto and surrounding areas are fully stocked with .22LR, Federal, Remington, CCI etc.....ammo that is non existent here.
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Sieger
User

Quote:
I'm not normally given to the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories, but this whole situation is very weird....My girlfriends brother is a pilot with Canada Air....he says the shelves in Toronto and surrounding areas are fully stocked with .22LR, Federal, Remington, CCI etc.....ammo that is non existent here.
Hi,

All we need to find out is just who is buying the 24/7 production of all of the manufacturers, simple enough!

The wholesalers certainly aren't buying it, so, who is?

I shoot with over 100 fellow shooters, and none of them are "hoarding", simply because, for over a year, there is nothing available to hoard!

Again, someone needs to get to the bottom of this, as it appears to be criminal in intent and execution.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 05-17-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Unread 05-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

My local outlet has not had no shipments of Alliant shotgun powder; I've been watching closely since before Thanksgiving, 2013. I can accept that hoarders are causing problems with the flow of .22LR, but not with reloading powder. The factories simply are not shipping it. I'd love to see shipping manifests over the last 2-3 years. And as much as I despise congressional hearings, I'd love for one congressman or senator start speaking out that this issue needs to be examined more closely. I, too, smelll a rat.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post: