LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #21
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

Power Pistol is my best 9mm powder to date, and, frankly, I feel it would be a better powder to experiment with, in the 7.65mm, than Unique.

I'd start out with about 4.5 grs of Power Pistol, moving up 1/10 of a grain, until I found a load that would just activate the hold open device. This would be my base load. I'd then progress up 1/10 of a grain at a time until I either found an accurate load or started seeing pressure signs or malfunctions started. There should be quite a range between 4.5 grs and when pressure or malfunctions start.

I'd also try some of the other brand lead bullets I suggested above, as they look like they could easily be loaded full proper length, that being 1.173 inches of O.A.L.

With a good recoil spring, a good Mec-Gar magazine and a good extractor spring, your 1921 should function perfectly and accurately. Really, there are not all that many variables, once you can isolate each and properly address them.

Good shooting!!

Sieger

I have been loading my 30 Luger jacketed bullets with Unique powder for some time now with very good results. I am very comfortable with using Unique, as I have used it forever. It is a bit more forgiving than PP, at least in my way of thinking.

What powder are you using in your 30 Luger handloads?
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #22
Ron Smith
User

I've loaded and shot 100s of 7.65 Luger cartridges with Hornady's .312 XTP 100 and 85 grain. They are and were extremely accurate in all of the 7.65mm Lugers I've owned. No pressure or fowling problems at all. These bullets were designed for the Win. 32-20, which I have also loaded many rounds for. I've slugged both rifle and revolver 32-20 barrels that measured from .309 to .313 and they functioned well in all of them. I also use them in 2 Ruger .32 H&R Mags with a .309, and.310 bore dia.

http://www.hornady.com/store/XTP-XTP-MAG
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ron Smith for your post:
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
I have been loading my 30 Luger jacketed bullets with Unique powder for some time now with very good results. I am very comfortable with using Unique, as I have used it forever. It is a bit more forgiving than PP, at least in my way of thinking.

What powder are you using in your 30 Luger handloads?
Hi,

My best has been IMR SR4756, but the MBAs have decided to discontinue it.

Be advised that the original DWM loading for the 7.65 was with a 93 gr bullet traveling at 1,150 fps (350 mps).

If I can ever find any powder to buy, I'd like to do a very thorough study of the currently available medium/slow pistol powders for both the 9mm and 7.65mm Lugers.

Wish me luck in finding any powder to buy?!?!?

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 03-09-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 03-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #24
JuneGrass 8
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

Did you order the .310s or the .313s?

Which sizer button are you using in your die set, the one for .308 bullets or the one for .311 bullets, as they usually have both available.

Are you loading to full length, that being 1.173 inches (this always seems long, but that's the way it is). You might want to read my sticky on how to determine proper O.A.L. when trying a new bullet. This could be very helpful.

With either lead or FMJ, I've never experienced set-back with the 7.65 Luger cartridge, so let's isolate and cure the necessary variables.

Thanks!

Sieger
Hello Mr. Sieger ,
To start with , yes I`m loading dummy rounds as close as I can get to 1.173 inches , and I`m checking those with my mag`s as you have recommended , although I will be sending them (mag`s) to G.T. for a thorough going over soon . The setback I experienced was due to improper die set up I`m thinking because I have loaded up a few more dummy rounds and they cycle through with much less setback .
The expander die measures at .307/8 depending on how I frown . The bullets are .32 cal. at .312/3 again with the frown thing . I`m not real comfortable with the Lee dies I have , and will more than likely pick up a Redding or Hornady set . The Lee dies came with the one expander plug only , I`m hoping that the new dies will have a couple of options in sizer buttons .
Unread 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #25
JuneGrass 8
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Crimping on a non-cannalured bullet will not stop setback of the bullet, neck tension is what does that. In fact, if you overcrimp the case mouth, you can make things worse. What is the diameter of your case neck expander? What is the measured diameter of your bullet? In the 30 luger brass, I strive for .003-.005in. of interference fit so as to get as much neck tension as possible. You will still get a few thousands of setback, but that is of no concern. If setback is excessive, that is concerning. I have started to add a cannalure to my jacketed bullets, and then the collet crimp into the cannalure to give myself the best protection for setback. My 30 luger rounds are loaded near/at max loadings, and I can not afford setbacks.

Apparently Sieger types faster that I do!!
rhuff ,
The Lee dies I have came with a .307/8 expander plug , and the cast bullets I have are .312/3 . I have loaded a few more dummy rounds , with no crimp , and my set back is much improved ( operator malfunction ) . Probably in for a new set of dies that I`m more familiar with . By the way , that outfit in Montana ( Western Bullet Co. ),he has apparently lost his molds for the 90grn 30cal. cast bullets , and isn`t in a big hurray to replace it because he has not gotten back with me concerning a possible order , but that doesn`t diminish my appreciation for your recommendation , Thanks again , Don
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #26
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneGrass 8 View Post
rhuff ,
The Lee dies I have came with a .307/8 expander plug , and the cast bullets I have are .312/3 . I have loaded a few more dummy rounds , with no crimp , and my set back is much improved ( operator malfunction ) . Probably in for a new set of dies that I`m more familiar with . By the way , that outfit in Montana ( Western Bullet Co. ),he has apparently lost his molds for the 90grn 30cal. cast bullets , and isn`t in a big hurray to replace it because he has not gotten back with me concerning a possible order , but that doesn`t diminish my appreciation for your recommendation , Thanks again , Don
JuneGrass & rhuff,

Here is how to cure your setback problem.

Go ahead and full length size your brass with the sizer button intended for the .308 diameter bullet.

Purchase, from Hornady, their separate expander die for the .32 acp cartridge. This will properly handle your .312 to .313 lead bullets, as well as, your FMJ .312 bullets. You will have to call them, as I haven't seen it for sale otherwise.

Expand your cases just enough for the lead bullet to clear the edge of the neck.

Seat to 1.173 inches of O.A.L. (no crimp, separate operation) with your seating die. If your necks want to buckle, then expand deeper until things square up.

Make sure you make the top of the neck parallel with the bullet as seated (separate operation) with your seating die.

You will now have a nice friction fit bullet, tight friction coming from the base of the neck.

You will no longer experience setback upon loading.

I've used this process for years with both my 7.65mm Luger and 8mm Nambu and it works great! I first learned this little trick while handloading for the 45-70 straight wall cartridge.

Hope this helps!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #27
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Years ago I purchased a Lee 3 piece die set for 30 Luger. I tried and tried to get the results that I wanted/needed, but could not. The sizing die(inside)looked like it had been finished with a rattail file!!Maybe I just got a bad one that slipped by QC, I don't know. It would not correctly size the neck to correct ID/OD size for reloading. Also, the expander was too large for loading .308in bullets. Anyway, Two of the three dies went into the "round" filing drawer, and I kept the seater die. I use an RCBS sizing die with a correct size expander. I load on a Dillon 650, and reduced the powder through/expander by .001-.0015in. for good neck tension.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote