LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Smile Range Gremlins!!!!

I'm sure most of you already know this.. but when going to the range to solve problems with your luger, don't create some of your own! Makes it impossible to trouble shoot, and If you haven't the experience, you'll look for solutions in most of the wrong places! ......What are these problem? Most have to do with resting the gun in order to steady your aim.. you CAN NOT rest the barrel on the bags or have any part of the receiver against the rest or shooting bag. DO NOT cup your off hand under the butt with a two hand hold.. And last, but certainly not least.. stiff'en up that limp wrist a'bit! I've had troublesome P.08's go from issues to perfect! Just by changing the way you hold and shoot it!!!!.... best to all, til...lat'r....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree 100%. I remember some time back, I was working on some 9mm accuracy loads for one of my Lugers and was using a bench rest to try and take 'me' out of the equation. I rested the barrel on the rest(brain fart) and began getting all kinds of malfunctions. It took a bit to figure things out(not the sharpest tack in the box).

I also find that if I stay too long at the range testing out things that my grip weakens. I shoot a two handed hold, but never a "cup and saucer" hold.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Zorba
User

And watch your thumb - don't let it press the mag release! Ask me how I know this...
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
K.Wilhelm
User

Default Thanks for the tips!

Great range tips, guys. We all need reminders from time to time. Same thing on basic rules of gun safety- even those of us with many years of experience get tired and/or lose concentration sometimes.
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Curss
User

A properly cleaned and lubricated gun also helps. VERY difficult to trouble shoot when certain things that worked before don't work. My gun does NOT like being dirty! Could have saved myself 2 boxes of ammo!
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
stressed
User

I want to ad that I do fire my luger two handed in a weaver type stance (I dislike the isosceles stance) And in doing this the weapon has never failed. I can rap off 4 rounds as fast I can pull the trigger, stay on target at 20m and have 100% reliable function, granted I hold the Luger with a firm grip. I like the toggle upward recoil for staying on target,
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
ChrisLL
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
I'm sure most of you already know this.. but when going to the range to solve problems with your luger, don't create some of your own! Makes it impossible to trouble shoot, and If you haven't the experience, you'll look for solutions in most of the wrong places! ......What are these problem? Most have to do with resting the gun in order to steady your aim.. you CAN NOT rest the barrel on the bags or have any part of the receiver against the rest or shooting bag. DO NOT cup your off hand under the butt with a two hand hold.. And last, but certainly not least.. stiff'en up that limp wrist a'bit! I've had troublesome P.08's go from issues to perfect! Just by changing the way you hold and shoot it!!!!.... best to all, til...lat'r....GT....
Thanks for the reminders and suggestions G.T. A question for you, or anyone else ... range testing new loads, what would you suggest for best technique? Last time I went I was on the bench but not resting the gun on anything directly, just held in my two hands with my arms on a blanket. I am now wondering if I was cupping underneath, I don't usually, but all I had for a rest was an old army blanket rolled up that day and I ended up being quite straight armed and quite contorted. The rounds went considerably higher than similar loads had my previous trip. I will have to pay more attention and be more consistent , but any suggestions from anyone appreciated. I am testing these loads not only for functioning, but accuracy as well.

Thanks!

- Chris
ChrisLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Gremlins!

Hi Chris, the main reason for not cupping the grip is because it allows the shooter to put un-even upwards pressure on the mag... Most will pop along without issue, but every once and awhile, the toggle won't lock down in the very last little bit of travel?? Not a big problem, but disconcerting when the gun was previously 100% reliable??...... I had this very issue this morning, only I had the butt down hard on a sandbag... changed my hold... issues went away! ... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
singleshotman
User

Well, I went to Targetmasters to try my .30 Luger. I could not get it to fire at all. loaded and cocked it five times and nothing happened. They have a FEMALE gunsmith and she looked at it and She said "It's dry, needs some lube to function". She lubed it and we went to lane 17 and it fired perfectly. If I wasn't married I would have kissed her. Best $10 repair I ever spent.
singleshotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Curss
User

Was she pretty?
Unread 03-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

You all get a Thank You!!!~~~Great suggestions that I did not know! I'll be shooting a luger for the first time in three weeks. I found our luger videos to be very helpful ~~They are worth another look! Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
singleshotman
User

The woman gunsmith was About the same age as my wife (57). I also ran into a Luger collector who was very interested in my Luger,said it was pre 1918 as it has German Imperial acceptance stamps on it. I had throght it was made in the 1920s because it has no date over the chamber.
singleshotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

If troubleshooting a gun at the range, I also bring some quart size plastic bags, and medium size white garbage bags.

When disassembling things, these can make your life much easier by eliminating those "on your knees" search in the grass sessions, looking for lost parts.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post: