LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
stressed
User

Default Good load for shooting in Lugers.

For those of us with older WW1 or numbers matching lugers who may want to shoot once and a while, I've found a good load to do so if you are not a hand loader.

original DWM specs specified a 123 grain bullet going at 1,020 FPS. This is a 124 grain bullet going 1,030 FPS. It is reduced from standard 124 grain loads to remain subsonic for suppresser use. Also as a benefit to use because of this, it burns cleaner facilitating an easier clean up.

Federal American Eagle suppresser specific 124gr.

Looking for any Mauser S/42 #89 parts

Last edited by stressed; 03-07-2014 at 01:11 AM.
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Sieger
User

Hi,

According to DWM and German Military sources, the load used at the end of the Great War was 123 grs at 1,076 fps (327 mps). This was a slightly increased load over the older, original DWM loading of 123 grs at 1,020 fps (310 mps).

By the way, several of the Shooters Bibles I have from the 1960's and 1970's advertise Remington 124 gr ball at 1,020 fps. Lugers were, basically, one of the few 9mm pistols around at that time, as most the "Wonder 9s" came along later (the fine Browning Hi-Power being one very notable exception).

Your discovery looks interesting, but where can one buy this ammo and is it accurate in a Luger?

I totally agree with you that Luger owners should avoid shooting the "hot stuff" in their Lugers.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 03-07-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
stressed
User

Bob, I have shot it before fine, but plan to fire a a box through tommorrow. Will update with range report. As for sourcing, I buy it locally at gander mountain, but I've seen it for sale on midway. I'm sure a Google search could provide some results.
The following 3 members says Thank You to stressed for your post:
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
TheRomanhistorian
User

I'm very intrigued by this as I've been using the 9mm FMJTC 124 grain from Fiocchi which Sieger recommended to me some time ago but I've been hoarding my last few boxes since I haven't seen any truncated cone from Fiocchi in 2 years (I can get Blazer Brass in 115 grain and 124 grain, both function in my 9mm Lugers and made in my hometown of Lewiston).

I may have to see if I can get a box or two after your report! Thanks!

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 03-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRomanhistorian View Post
I'm very intrigued by this as I've been using the 9mm FMJTC 124 grain from Fiocchi which Sieger recommended to me some time ago but I've been hoarding my last few boxes since I haven't seen any truncated cone from Fiocchi in 2 years (I can get Blazer Brass in 115 grain and 124 grain, both function in my 9mm Lugers and made in my hometown of Lewiston).

I may have to see if I can get a box or two after your report! Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks, and I still have a full "brick" stashed away. It was labeled "Combat Bullet", as you are aware.

Sieger
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
1994Stoeger
User

At the low end of the price spectrum, the inexpensive nylon-jacketed (yes, I said nylon), aluminum-cased 115gr target rounds marketed under the Herter's name at Cabela's has been very dependable. Feeds well, loads well, and not very dirty. Obviously, not something for the reloaders in the group as this is not reloadable.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herte...s#BVRRWidgetID
1994Stoeger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 1994Stoeger for your post:
Unread 03-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Stoeger View Post
At the low end of the price spectrum, the inexpensive nylon-jacketed (yes, I said nylon), aluminum-cased 115gr target rounds marketed under the Herter's name at Cabela's has been very dependable. Feeds well, loads well, and not very dirty. Obviously, not something for the reloaders in the group as this is not reloadable.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herte...s#BVRRWidgetID
1994Stoeger,

Thanks for your post, as I've never heard of nylon-jacketed bullets before!

Sieger
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
stressed
User

I shoot the TNJ (total nylon jacket) often including in my luger. It is a great round I have over 5k rounds stocked up. Be advised though it is a little hotter then WWB or UMC by 100 fps or so according to chrono.
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed View Post
I shoot the TNJ (total nylon jacket) often including in my luger. It is a great round I have over 5k rounds stocked up. Be advised though it is a little hotter then WWB or UMC by 100 fps or so according to chrono.
Hi,

That must be some pretty hot stuff there, as WWB is rated at 1,190 fps at the muzzle.

I must admit that I am interested in many of these modern coatings and will have to do a thorough study of them, time permitting.

Sieger
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Zorba
User

I just shot 50 rounds of commercial reloads using coated "Bayou" bullets. The Luger loved them, and they seem to be more accurate in my gun than WWB - although its quite possible my evolving shooting skill could be the cause...

There were little, tiny shards of "something" scattered around inside the action afterwards though. I'm ASSuming that this is detritus from the coating, but am not sure. No problem cleaning them out though.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zormpas View Post
I just shot 50 rounds of commercial reloads using coated "Bayou" bullets. The Luger loved them, and they seem to be more accurate in my gun than WWB - although its quite possible my evolving shooting skill could be the cause...

There were little, tiny shards of "something" scattered around inside the action afterwards though. I'm ASSuming that this is detritus from the coating, but am not sure. No problem cleaning them out though.
Hi,

Was your debris green in color?

Most importantly, did the bullets lead the barrel?

Sieger