LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
GOATSNGUNS
User

Default 9mm loads with Clays

I will be loading for a 1939 s/42 and would like to use Hodgdon clays. I am looking for a safe functioning load with 115 gr FMJ . I also have an older P-38 and would like to use the same loads. Comments, recommendations????

Thanks, Gary

Last edited by GOATSNGUNS; 08-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.
GOATSNGUNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
cliffdropover1
User

I had a Kimber Solo that no reload would work in. I found that 3.6 grains of Clays would work perfectly in this gun and felt surprisingly light. No signs of excessive pressure. Of course use any advice with caution. I am not responsible for this load. All I know is that it worked very well for me and proved to be remarkably accurate too. Forgot to mention this was for the 124 grain bullet only. I do believe this is the max load even though it felt light.
cliffdropover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
GOATSNGUNS
User

Loaded up 32 rounds of 9mm 115 gr. Win FMJ/HB with 3.5 gr. of clays with a COL of 1.170", using a light Lee factory crimp. Fired 16 in the PO8 and 16 in the P38. No signs of high pressure, but had numerous stove pipes and FTF in both guns. The primers all looked good, no pressure signs. I have two mags for the PO8 and one Mag for the P38, same results with both the PO8 mags. I did not have time to set up the chronograph but recoil was mild. I will have to duplicate these and fire over the chronograph before upping the charge weight. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
GOATSNGUNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
noylj
User

Your charges are slightly too light for your pistol.
Personal opinion only: Clays would not be amongst my first 20 powders I would select for 9x19. It, N310, and TiteGroup can show sudden pressure increases from one round to another even with all rounds using the same weight charges.
That being said, starting loads for Clays and 115gn jacketed bullets is 3.6-3.7gn, with a max load in two manuals of 3.9gn.
Personally, again, that is too small a range for me to play in.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to noylj for your post:
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

No idea Gary, but continue to talk about reloading, I need to learn more
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Gary,

Of course, by running these rounds over a chrono, you will get a good idea of where you are with this loading. I have no experience with using Clays Powder, but according to my manuals, and what you describe, you are producing too soft of a recoil impulse for your handguns to function reliably....short stroking.

Your approach is the safest one, by starting out low and "sneaking up" on your loads watching for pressure signs. I hope that you will be able to find the combo of components that your handguns require. Keep us informed, and good luck.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Your charges are slightly too light for your pistol.
Personal opinion only: Clays would not be amongst my first 20 powders I would select for 9x19. It, N310, and TiteGroup can show sudden pressure increases from one round to another even with all rounds using the same weight charges.
That being said, starting loads for Clays and 115gn jacketed bullets is 3.6-3.7gn, with a max load in two manuals of 3.9gn.
Personally, again, that is too small a range for me to play in.
Plus one for slower powders (N340 or Unique). It's very easy to go overboard with fast powders.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote