LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
JuneGrass 8
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Is there anybody out there ?

Is there anybody out there who can steer this Luger collecting newby in the right direction as far as 7.65MM , approx. 90 grn. , round/truncated cast bullets by a reputable manuf. may be found ? I`m even willing to get on a long...... waiting list.
Need help ," Please " Thanks , Don
JuneGrass 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to JuneGrass 8 for your post:
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
TheRomanhistorian
User

Wish I could help, I just use Fiocchi 7.65mm because I can get it locally at Pinto's in Renton. (Hello to a fellow Washingtonian, by the way). I take it lead bullets are preferred for you?

I know Hornady makes a 90 grain jacketed and hollowpoint but not sure about cast (most of that I found whilst looking was much heavier than 90 grain). I thought Buffalo Arms might have some (checked for you) but no, they didn't.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
JuneGrass 8
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Michael ,
Go figure , almost neighbors . Thanks for looking , and the info on Pintos , have heard of them but have never gone there , that's about to change . As far as preferring cast over jacketed , I was hoping cast would be more available .
Will PM you Thanks , Don
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
TheRomanhistorian
User

Don,

Feel free and always glad to meet fellow locals who are Luger owners! The Pinto's folks are very pleasant to deal with as they're shooters and collectors like we are. They seem to have a fairly regular stockpile of 30 Luger (usually the FMJ) and I know Bullseye in Tacoma has both though a bit pricier. Pinto's also has the odd Webley or Luger passing through (there's a .30 calibre one in right now). It's a 50s rebarrel, they think, with this odd target sight and 5.5" barrel. Please feel free to PM if I can be of any help!

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Don, you are correct about theoretical availability, but on the condition that you have a bullet mold and some old tire weights around! I've also found that 93 gr. .30 Luger bullets, even in FMJ, are difficult to procure for reloading. Might be trying out the lightened-up/drilled out 110 gr. FMJ for .30 carbine--There's a thread about it somewhere...
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #6
JuneGrass 8
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

David , I`m not ready to fire up my old drill press just yet , although I must admit it`s beginning to look dismal. I have some factory loads , and some Sierra 85 grn RN bullets that I`m assembling as dummies for O.A.L. before I get serious , and shoot this thing . I was , and still am very interested in cast lead , as I have never assembled rounds with cast bullets before , been scared silly over leading . So here I am ready willing and.........very grateful for new found interests , and friends . Thanks , Don
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneGrass 8 View Post
David , I`m not ready to fire up my old drill press just yet , although I must admit it`s beginning to look dismal. I have some factory loads , and some Sierra 85 grn RN bullets that I`m assembling as dummies for O.A.L. before I get serious , and shoot this thing . I was , and still am very interested in cast lead , as I have never assembled rounds with cast bullets before , been scared silly over leading . So here I am ready willing and.........very grateful for new found interests , and friends . Thanks , Don
Hi,

To save you some time and aggravation, please read my sticky on how to determine proper O.A.L. with a new bullet type.

The original DWM O.A.L.s for round nose and truncated cone were 1.173 and 1.14 respectively.

For a truncated cone type of bullet, Lee makes a mold for the .32-20, in 90 grain SWC that looks about perfect to me for a 7.65 Luger. Sized to .311 or .312, these should be just the ticket for a Parabellum. The two cavity mold sells at Midway for less than $20.00 and the Lee Mold number for it is 314-90-SWC.

If you don't roll your own, try King Shooters Supply for either their lead .310 or .313 round nose 92.0 grainers, as these should work perfectly in your Parabellum (King Shooters Supply, King of Prussia, PA, Tel. 610-491-9901).

Please know that the 7.65 Luger's groove is at .311, so feel free to shoot .312 to .313 lead through it, as I have for decades. Do make sure your sizer button matches up with the diameter bullet you are trying to seat, or you will have lead shaving when trying to seat them. Lead shaving will totally destroy any chance for accuracy, of course, with just about any lead bullet.

If lead bullets are properly lubed, they will not lead your barrel, so don't think a minute more about it.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM me with them.

I hope this helps!!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 03-04-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If you are looking for a nice 92gr LRN bullet(and not a loaded cartridge with LRN), then look at Western Bullet Company in Wyoming(I am pretty sure it is Wy). I have loaded a lot of these LRN bullets in 30 Luger brass, and can recommend them highly. They are also nice people to deal with. I know of no factory ammo loaded with 90-92gr Lead bullets.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
If you are looking for a nice 92gr LRN bullet(and not a loaded cartridge with LRN), then look at Western Bullet Company in Wyoming(I am pretty sure it is Wy). I have loaded a lot of these LRN bullets in 30 Luger brass, and can recommend them highly. They are also nice people to deal with. I know of no factory ammo loaded with 90-92gr Lead bullets.
rhuff,

They are using the old 92 grain Lyman #311227 mold.

When loaded to the proper length of 1.173 inches, will the neck of the case cover the top grease groove?

Thanks!!

Sieger
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
JuneGrass 8
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Is there anybody out there ?

Bob , Richard ,
Thanks to both of you for your info on cast bullets , I`m going to attempt to contact both outfits and get on there backorder list , as I`m more than sure I`ll end up , but nothing ventured , nothing gained . I appreciate your help very much .
Thanks , Don
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
singleshotman
User

Any idea on the delivery time on items ordered from Western Bullet Co? I paid for a order and did not even get a Email about my purchase. I am starting to wonder if threw my money away. Also the website did not say anything about backorders?
singleshotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotman View Post
Any idea on the delivery time on items ordered from Western Bullet Co? I paid for a order and did not even get a Email about my purchase. I am starting to wonder if threw my money away. Also the website did not say anything about backorders?
Hi,

It sounds like they need a good, stout follow-up call from you!

Sieger
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
rhuff,

They are using the old 92 grain Lyman #311227 mold.

When loaded to the proper length of 1.173 inches, will the neck of the case cover the top grease groove?

Thanks!!

Sieger

Bob,

I am loading this bullet to where the case mouth is just barely above the grease groove, to an OAL of 1.150+/-. Buy seating the bullet thusly, and using a collet type crimp, one can sort of utilize the grease groove as a cannalure to help prevent set back on feeding into a handgun chamber. My 1921 DWM Luger likes this bullet, possibly because of the .310-.311 dia.
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
JD
User

Pinto's in Renton... My favorite gun shop. Great people that I have known for years (Long before they opened this gun shop)....

By the way, I live in Kent also....
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #15
Sieger
User

Quote:
Bob,

I am loading this bullet to where the case mouth is just barely above the grease groove, to an OAL of 1.150+/-. Buy seating the bullet thusly, and using a collet type crimp, one can sort of utilize the grease groove as a cannalure to help prevent set back on feeding into a handgun chamber. My 1921 DWM Luger likes this bullet, possibly because of the .310-.311 dia.
Hi,

Have you had any problems with jamming when shooting from a fully loaded 8 round magazine?

Also, what is your most successful powder with this load combination?

Thanks!

Sieger
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

Have you had any problems with jamming when shooting from a fully loaded 8 round magazine?

Also, what is your most successful powder with this load combination?

Thanks!

Sieger

I don't load my mags to 8 rounds. I load to 5 rounds, as that is the amount I shoot be it revolver or semi-auto. Those rounds are loaded with Bullseye powder, but I plan to use Unique with the next batch. I don't have 100% reliability with these rounds, but pretty good functioning. I am experiencing zero bullet setback. I am hoping for improvement with the slower powder. I wish I had a good load for Power Pistol, but I don't. To me, these Lugers are a real challenge as to springs(all), mags, OAL, bullet profile, powder type and loadings. I may never get 100% reliability out of my 1921 DWM, but it won't be because I haven't tried, and tried, and tried. A work in progress.
Unread 03-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #17
Sieger
User

Quote:
I don't load my mags to 8 rounds. I load to 5 rounds, as that is the amount I shoot be it revolver or semi-auto. Those rounds are loaded with Bullseye powder, but I plan to use Unique with the next batch. I don't have 100% reliability with these rounds, but pretty good functioning. I am experiencing zero bullet setback. I am hoping for improvement with the slower powder. I wish I had a good load for Power Pistol, but I don't. To me, these Lugers are a real challenge as to springs(all), mags, OAL, bullet profile, powder type and loadings. I may never get 100% reliability out of my 1921 DWM, but it won't be because I haven't tried, and tried, and tried. A work in progress.
Hi,

Power Pistol is my best 9mm powder to date, and, frankly, I feel it would be a better powder to experiment with, in the 7.65mm, than Unique.

I'd start out with about 4.5 grs of Power Pistol, moving up 1/10 of a grain, until I found a load that would just activate the hold open device. This would be my base load. I'd then progress up 1/10 of a grain at a time until I either found an accurate load or started seeing pressure signs or malfunctions started. There should be quite a range between 4.5 grs and when pressure or malfunctions start.

I'd also try some of the other brand lead bullets I suggested above, as they look like they could easily be loaded full proper length, that being 1.173 inches of O.A.L.

With a good recoil spring, a good Mec-Gar magazine and a good extractor spring, your 1921 should function perfectly and accurately. Really, there are not all that many variables, once you can isolate each and properly address them.

Good shooting!!

Sieger
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
JuneGrass 8
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sieger ,
The 92 grn hard cast lead RN bullets from Kings Shooters supply that you recommended arrived before the ink on the check ( so to speak ) had dried . Many , Many thanks , if these shoot as good as they look , it will be outstanding . I loaded up 8 dummy rounds to check magazine function , which was fair , with one jam do to set back , which occurred on all rounds to one degree or another , so I have crimped them using a Lee Factory Crimp die . This appears to put a good hold on the bullet , but sets them back also . Like Mr.rhuff said ,"a work in progress". Thanks Don
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
Sieger
User

Quote:
Sieger ,
The 92 grn hard cast lead RN bullets from Kings Shooters supply that you recommended arrived before the ink on the check ( so to speak ) had dried . Many , Many thanks , if these shoot as good as they look , it will be outstanding . I loaded up 8 dummy rounds to check magazine function , which was fair , with one jam do to set back , which occurred on all rounds to one degree or another , so I have crimped them using a Lee Factory Crimp die . This appears to put a good hold on the bullet , but sets them back also . Like Mr.rhuff said ,"a work in progress". Thanks Don
Hi,

Did you order the .310s or the .313s?

Which sizer button are you using in your die set, the one for .308 bullets or the one for .311 bullets, as they usually have both available.

Are you loading to full length, that being 1.173 inches (this always seems long, but that's the way it is). You might want to read my sticky on how to determine proper O.A.L. when trying a new bullet. This could be very helpful.

With either lead or FMJ, I've never experienced set-back with the 7.65 Luger cartridge, so let's isolate and cure the necessary variables.

Thanks!

Sieger
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #20
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Sieger ,

Crimping on a non-cannalured bullet will not stop setback of the bullet, neck tension is what does that. In fact, if you overcrimp the case mouth, you can make things worse. What is the diameter of your case neck expander? What is the measured diameter of your bullet? In the 30 luger brass, I strive for .003-.005in. of interference fit so as to get as much neck tension as possible. You will still get a few thousands of setback, but that is of no concern. If setback is excessive, that is concerning. I have started to add a cannalure to my jacketed bullets, and then the collet crimp into the cannalure to give myself the best protection for setback. My 30 luger rounds are loaded near/at max loadings, and I can not afford setbacks.

Apparently Sieger types faster that I do!!

Last edited by rhuff; 03-09-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: To add info