LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 08-15-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Dirk
New User

Default Navy luger with Artillery rear sight > Erfurt

Good Evening:

Hi! I just registered on this forum in hopes of finding some information. I have recently acquired a 1914 Erfurt with a 6 in. barrel that is TOTALLY Artillery looking In respect to the barrel. This is NOT a cut and paste barrel(that I can tell)! It has the "fine tune" front and rear sights and your 800 meter slide for the rear. The rifling goes all the way to the front (like on the 4 in barrel). The numbers all match from the front sight to the rear toggle, including side plate, and firing pin assembly. It has an unrelieved sear bar. The Serial number is 509 (no A or B). Unfortunatly the lower part of the gun is different minus the take down lever and triger wich is the same as the upper. Is this a Navy or Artillery variety? I've been to two libraries, a big name book store ( they had nothing on Lugers), I also have compared this to a matching 1917 DWM Artillery at my local gun shop and my own 1914 DWM Artillery which I think is a commercial or 1944 - 45 desperation rebuild, but that question will come later Thanks in advance for any info someone might have!!!

Dirk
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Dirk
New User

Hi again:

The serial number is 7165 for the 6in barrel. The 509 is for my DWM sorry!

Dirk
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Shortened Artillery Model.

Dirk, I am moving your question to the Artillery Luger forum for reasons that will be appropriate when you get some more responses...

without seeing a photo of your unusual Luger, I will speculate from your description that the barrel of a standard Artillery model has been shortened professionally for unknown reasons...

Please read the Photo upload tutorial at the top of the Site Help and Feedback forum where you originally posted to see how to upload digital images of your mystery Luger so that the knowledgeable folks here can tell you with some authority what you really have...

Welcome to the Lugerforum.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Well, if it has an artillery sight on the barrel, the most likely scenario is that at least the barrel started life as an artillery one. May have been cut to a shorter length after a slight mishap of some sort.

It doesn't make much sense to have both the navy and the arty sights on one pistol, that's for sure. Most obviously somebody's former plaything
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Dirk
New User

Hi All,

Looks like I'm the proud owner of a snub nose "Arty" from what you are telling me. I did read somewhere that someone said that some Navy Lugers had an Artillery rear sight instead of the 100/200 toggle pull out sight. Mine does not have any Navy stampings on it (that I am familliar with at least). Just familiar army markings. It does have an M stamped on the bottom of the breech block. There is no sight on the rear toggle. I'm still at work, so uploading a picture will have to wait a while. I do have to do some work on the extractor function. Right now it's a little jammed somehow and does not spring back down. It does feel a bit tight when I pull up on it. Any insight on this problem? I'll get some pics up when I can (crunch time at work).

Thank you Gentlemen for replying to my initial question.
Unread 08-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dirk, Over the years I have owned several LPO8 that had the barrel shortened the lenght of the front sight base to about 7&1/2"s and a fixed C96 broom front sight added. I suspect that this was the Depot's "quite & dirt" way of "fixing" a frozen adjustable fine tune front sight. I also had one, where the barrel length was cut down to only 4"s, which left a sighting radius of about 3 inches. The had to be the result of either a bulged barrel or some innane Versailles Tready regulation. TH