LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
biggray
New User

Default Help with two police markings

Hello All. I need some help with two different police marked lugers. The first has a marked out unit marking S.L.Pol.334 on the grip strap in the normal place and S P L on the bottom gripstrap bump. The other has B.S.107 on the grip strap and BS107 on the spine of the matching woodbottom magazine. They are both DWM's,one is a 16 and one is a 17. I looking to buy both of these but they are on hold because the owner is still looking for the holsters. Thanks for any help with identifing the units.
biggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The S.L.Pol.334 marking is from the short-lived Sächsische Landessicherheitspolizei (State Security Police of Saxony). In 1921-22, they were merged with the city police in large cities. The S.P./L. marking shows this pistol then belonged to the Sächsische Polizei of Leipzig (HWIS Chapter 14).

The B.S.107 markings are from the Schutzpolizei of the state of Braunschweig (HWIS Chapter 15).

For my database of police markings, could you let me know which markings are on the 1916 and which on the 1917? Also, I would appreciate knowing the serial numbers and suffixes of these guns and whether or not they have sear or mag safeties. Thanks very much.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
biggray
New User

Thanks for the info. The B.S.107 mark is on a double dated DWM 1917/1920 the serial number is 2480b with a sear safety. The other DWM has been sold. He wouldn't price them to me the other day because of the missing holsters but that didn't stop him with the next guy I guess. I did put a deposit on the other, still no holster. There is a East German Luger for sale in a local shop with the marking S XIX followed by what looks like a "gear" with a zero in the center. The lower is numbered 3498d and has the latter axle pin bumps or ears on the frame. The upper is dated 1939 and it has a Erfurt toggle both of which have been forced matched. Do you have any idea of what that marking is? Thanks again for your help and I would really like to find out how to buy your book.
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Sounds like an interesting dealer! The marking on the other one is a VoPo marking. Hopefully, someone familiar with these will chime in.

The book is available from the publisher at http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...98bf3ba8928e79. I hope you enjoy it.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
biggray
New User

Thanks for all the help.