LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 12-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts
Default 1900 AE Heavy Wear Marks?

Extracted from the "Broken Parts Survey" thread - My broken firing pin guide and rear of frame where 'duckbill' hits -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Rich,
The head of the firing pin spring guide looks as if it's been hammered. "Fingerprint" by Sasquatch! This pistol is either tested to the max by this, or set up--all ready to break!
I took it down today and took some more pics of any wear areas I could see...Hard to imagine that 7.65 Luger loads could impact the steel this much...But over 100+ years, I suppose it would add up...BTW: The bore is pretty worn...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impact1a.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	30876  

Name:	impact2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	30877  

Name:	impact3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	30878  

Name:	impact4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	30879  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Nice pics Rich, and you've shown the toggle ramps--an area I forgot for my list back at the other thread. What's up with the sharp diagonal edge to the wear at the bottom of ramp on left in last pic? Also, the ramp we see on the right appears to have been struck by a surface that was not square and parallel to it, otherwise, the wear marks' ends would be straight across. Can't quite tell from the pics if the edges of the ramps are mushroomed out, what do parallel jaw calipers or a mic say? Now I'm curious to see the knobs of the toggle, where they encounter the ramps while cycling.
Unread 12-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The toggle does not hit the ramp at the bottom; it hits 1/8" up the ramp...The wear mark isn't straight across because the toggle knob edges are not parallel; the knobs are tapered...Like a truncated triangle (as seen from the top)...It tapers .004" over a .045" surface (the part of the toggle that hits the ramp)...There's no visible mushrooming, but my verniers tell me the ramp is .004"/.005" thicker where the impact marks are than below them, where there has been no impact...

Edit: The duckbill of the rear toggle does not show any undue wear or 'spread'...
Unread 12-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

OK, the taper of the toggles explains the way the marks are. But, looking at the last pic, what is giving the appearance of a triangular area of surface which looks undisturbed, it points up into the area of the ramp (pic left) that would be expected to be worn in a mirror image of the wear on its counterpart (pic right)--as if there is a chunk missing on the toggle knob that has hit it. Or is it a photographic artifact?
Unread 12-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
OK, the taper of the toggles explains the way the marks are. But, looking at the last pic, what is giving the appearance of a triangular area of surface which looks undisturbed, it points up into the area of the ramp (pic left) that would be expected to be worn in a mirror image of the wear on its counterpart (pic right)--as if there is a chunk missing on the toggle knob that has hit it. Or is it a photographic artifact?
It's different because that knob has the 'toggle lock' in it, and there is a milled bevel on the bottom of the knob where it hits that ramp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toggle.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	30880  

The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 12-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
skeeter4206
User

Great pictures.
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
skeeter4206
User

Is it common for the firing pin retainer to hit the back of the frame. Looking at your above pictures it looks like mine and yours has the same looking mark where it hits the frame. Is this a major problem?

Name:	IMG_5361.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	30882
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
It's different because that knob has the 'toggle lock' in it, and there is a milled bevel on the bottom of the knob where it hits that ramp.
Yup that's the story, the wear pattern makes sense now. I'm not sure, since I've never seen a 1900 in person, that I've ever seen one's toggle train from this angle, much less noticed this aspect to the wear patterns this design configuration results in.

This leaves us, still, with the caveat to change over to fresh springs. Very graphic, and sometimes heartbreaking, evidence of what happens when the action is forcefully over-extended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter4206 View Post
Is it common for the firing pin retainer to hit the back of the frame. Looking at your above pictures it looks like mine and yours has the same looking mark where it hits the frame. Is this a major problem?]
Yes, but likely cumulative. It takes repeated forceful blows to work harden a piece of steel, but the more forceful and frequent the trauma, the faster metal fatigue will develop if it continues--to the point of becoming so hard and brittle that crystallization occurs and one last whack causes it to shatter and fail. Check out the texture of the break on the spring guide above; it's not torn, but shattered/snapped. I'm not knowledgeable of how to assess the damage/progression if it is noticed before failure of a part. I consider a crack a failure, and a break a catastrophic failure, even though both are catastrophic, as far as collectors are concerned. I think up to a certain point, further service will be OK, but after that point, continued use would be dangerous to the part, and perhaps to the user. But I don't know how that could be established. Maybe X-ray?
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The pieces of my guide are somewhat mystifying...I don't see how it could work-harden...It doesn't flex, or twist, or bend...It travels in a straight line and [theoretically] doesn't even move (in relation to the parts around it)...

My pieces do show some crystallization, but the loose piece was reciprocating back & forth and the end & cavity have been peened by that motion so it's hard to tell what happened...

Hopefully, someone more familiar with these models can add their comments...

Pic attached...

On the mainspring: There is a guy on eBay who advertises NOS flat mainsprings -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-GERMAN...-/160944562499

I bought one a couple months back, when I thought mine was broken (it's not), and it looks new, just some very slight rust freckles...Doesn't look home made, and doesn't look like it was made lately either...It looks original...

I was going to keep it as a spare, but maybe I'll put it in...Just in case I decide to shoot it...

He seems to have quite a few of these...They're on eBay almost every month...

I did ask Wolf if they made the flat mainsprings...they don't...

I also ordered some 1095 spring stock to attempt making one myself...For emergencies...But the Luger flat mainspring is a weird gauge; not Metric and not Yankee either...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	guide.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	30883  

Unread 12-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
skeeter4206
User

Hmmm! x-ray. That would be cool to see on some of my aparts, especially the rear toggle that already has some cracking. I have access to a digital x-ray machine at work. We x-ray welds on pressure vessels and other various things. This would be a nice example to try and x-ray. Curious if any inclusions would be found on these old pieces.
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I just looked it up, and work hardening occurs with the molecular rearrangement of the lattice in the material. These 'Dislocations" add up until the point of crystallization. I included mechanical pounding (intermittent compressive force) in the list of ways work hardening is induced, the others being torsion and tension, as you mentioned, all of which forces cause molecular dislocations. Work hardening is done on other materials such as copper and aluminum, in their transformations into sheets, wire, etc, which are not able to be hardened by heat treat, as steel is.
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
JTD
User

I would wonder that at sometime in its life, it was fired without the main spring properly assembled to the toggle train. this would tattoo those marks in for sure. John
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
regul
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

To me it looks like a fatigue type failure due to the firing pin retainer striking the rear of the frame repeated times.
Ed
regul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have a tool for measuring spring tension...If I can figure out how to attach it to the toggle in such a way that it will show an accurate read, I'll try it with the old [present] mainspring vs the NOS mainspring, both installed...

Edit: Hmmmm...Not as difficult as I thought...[pic below]...I can hook it on the toggle and pull to full reach...

I get a repeatable 10 pound reading with the present mainspring...Perhaps not the most accurate way to do it, but for comparative tests, it should show any difference...I realize that there is no way to know if this is the original mainspring or a recent (or an old) replacement...It may have been added after all the pounding was done to the action...

Edit: NOS mainspring installed measures 9 pounds on my spring tension gauge, repeatable...

So either I have a good mainspring already installed, or someone has been firing either hot loads or very many of them...

Pic 1 - Luger + spring gauge
Pic 2 - Measuring installed/old mainspring
Pic 3 - Installing new/NOS mainspring
Pic 4 - Mainsprings = new, old front; new, old rear
Pic 5 - Measuring new/NOS mainspring
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spring1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	30886  

Name:	spring2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	30887  

Name:	spring3.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	30888  

Name:	spring4.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	30889  

Name:	spring5.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	30890  

Last edited by sheepherder; 12-26-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I would welcome anyone with a 1900/1902 to 'measure' their toggle tension so that I could compare it to mine...

Easy enough to do: Take a 9, 10, or 11 pound weight, tie a piece of string to it, tie the other end around the toggle of an unloaded, cocked, un-magazined 1900 and hold it by the barrel [barrel pointing up] with the weight hanging down and see if it racks the toggle back to the stop...
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
skeeter4206
User

I'm curious about that contraption you made up. I'm thinking some kind of fish scale would work. I think I would like to know what mine has. When torn apart, the leaf spring in it doesnt seem to have much tension at all. But, I never knew if it was meant to be that way. I know it does not have anything close to the one I have with a coil type mainspring.

Give me a closeup pic of how you have it hooked into the toggle. I would hate to damage it while doing this.
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Give me a closeup pic of how you have it hooked into the toggle. I would hate to damage it while doing this.
The hook/grabber thingie Rich made is brass, so other than imparting a little bit of its material to the surface of the toggle, it can't do any damage. One can gently remove the smeared on brass with oiled 0000 steel wool.

I think the angle of pulling the measuring device relative to the pistol frame may be important for trading data back and forth. With the same pistol, same angle, but different springs, you'd get a data set which would enable you to compare the different springs. If we standardize the angle at which the pistol is mounted in addition to the angle relative pulling is done, then I think we can swap info. This is a vector force, and although I haven't worked it out specifically, I believe the angularity must be duplicated to bring individual pistols' measurements into line with the rest.

Since I don't have the 1900, I don't know, but is it possible to install a later coil spring and guide temporarily for shooting?
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
I'm curious about that contraption you made up. I'm thinking some kind of fish scale would work.
This thing is an electricians tool for measuring spring tension of brushes on motor armatures...I had it from my old job and use it to set trigger 'pull weight' on .45 autos mostly...

I don't know what a fish scale even looks like...

Quote:
Go back to the first pic; the gauge has a square hook that I hook into the slot/cavity of the toggle knob...The hook is 5/32" brass rod...

Edit: Thor was right about these flat mainsprings...The more you do them, the easier it gets...
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
skeeter4206
User

Postino:
Easy enough to do: Take a 9, 10, or 11 pound weight, tie a piece of string to it, tie the other end around the toggle of an unloaded, cocked, un-magazined 1900 and hold it by the barrel [barrel pointing up] with the weight hanging down and see if it racks the toggle back to the stop...

Well, I took a 10 pound weight and tied a string around the same area you were pulling from on the toggle. I tried to hold the gun at the same angle as yours as seen in your pictures. My toggle did not fully pull all the way back with that weight and that method. I wanna get something that will give me an actual measurement. But I think it aint going to be much more than 10 pounds. Cause it comes close to being pulled all the way to stop, but just a hair shy.
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Glenn,

I think postino's talking about two different methods, and the one with the gun at that angle in the pic would be for the scale/meter thing he's pulling it with. Loops of string around the toggle knobs and a weight that can be varied on the other end would be an entirely second method--and I think when he says barrel pointing up, it means straight up. You'd be hanging onto the barrel and dangling the weights from the toggle knobs until they rack back to the limit of the cycle. This way, gravity is doing its thing at the same angle you'd apply the force to draw the toggle back, relative to the pistol itself. One could use a fish scale or similar, one end fastened to the floor, in line with the toggle strings. Loop the loops, pull up on the barrel, and take note of the reading on the scale when the toggle moves all the way back. I guess you could do this in a horizontal setup, too; but make sure it all lines up the same way as the dead weight setup...or clamp the barrel in a padded vise and pull on the far end of the scale, etc. etc.