LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:17 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default AEG drum almost out flanked me!!!

As most of you are aware of, I've revised approx 500 of the NUMRICH drums, and have a pallet with another 100+ to revise sitting in my garage! Interspersed with the revision drums, I have also repaired, re-lubed, or in general, just repaired whatever was wrong with some original drums as well. As fate would have it, for about every 10 or so BING drums to repair, there would be 1 or 2 AEG drums. I'm not a fan of AEG simply because the parts are slightly different, and often times, the BING loading tool fits poorly or not at all! But, as I'm pretty much game for any drum repair, I took it apart and so the battle begins! At first I'm a little amazed, the outside showed some serious use, while the inside showed non use! None!!! Not cartridge tracks, nothing! So, I'm again, prematurely thinking piece of cake! That was about two months ago, with about 20 hours of bench time and modification and testing! It would feed a few rounds then jam, clear it and go a few more and jam, jam, jam , jam,... I went to bed each night dwelling on my next move. I made fixtures to correct the inside dimension, I polished out any and all bumps, lumps and welds and polished the inside front radius until baby butt smooth! Last night I was pretty confident it would work, load it up, jam!!!
After another night of thought, I determined that in all probability, the follower angle stop was not letting the bullet angle far enough to fit up the tube and was planning on correcting that issue and try again. But then I thought, all I'm doing by tilting the follower is like shortening the cartridge? So, I went to my ammo locker and took out some Fiocch full metal jacket truncated cone ammo and loaded it up! The drum functioned perfectly!!! All 32 rounds without issue! Now you have to remember, I'm a staunch supporter of WW white box target / range ammo! Not on this drum! So, now you know, there are no set in stone ammo types. Drums, like the lugers that use them can be severely ammo sensitive. BTW, the Fiocch round was a full .050" shorter than the WW white box ball... Fiocch 1.100" WW 1.150" Now again, you know everything I know... I wished I knew it two months ago! Best, til.....lat'r.....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 13 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-02-2023, 07:47 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,425 Posts

GT..seems like you could set up a reloading press to press in WW white box ball..050" shorter to 1.100". ??

Out of wild curiosity, where was the jam taking place? In the mag tube? Not allowing cartridges to rise?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2023, 08:56 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default So far....

Hi Jer, it was really inconsistant? I suspect it was all happening in the tube, but in a kind of, "grab and let go" type of malfunction? I can easily make the test rounds shorter, but then it wouldn't be a good benchmark ammo for testing. I know now to just go with the shorter ammo in the AEG testing... maybe more on that in the future... best to you jer, til....lat'r...GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-03-2023, 10:52 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

It was clean inside because it never worked correctly? I am amazed it didn't get tossed out to the trash by somebody over the years?
Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 05-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default It might have?

It was definitly a no go when I got it apart! Not only was it never used, It had spot weld beads on the interior that would have effectively rendered it useless... I trimmed all that out and polished everything.. probably a half a dozen times? All was needed, but the OAL cartridge length was the real issue on this drum? Never seen one like it, probably will never see another.. ... Best to all, til.....lat'r.....GT...

BTW, I wonder what the original WW1 truncated cone ammo was in OAL? This drum was in the 40,000 range, which is quite early? Might be some were made to run on specific ammo? I can only guess... Best, GT
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-03-2023, 04:01 PM   #6
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Our hero~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 05-30-2023, 12:31 AM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,037 Posts

We know that OAL is important to luger pistol feeding; sounds like more so with the drums-
I guess AEG didn't get the memo !
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 05-30-2023, 05:56 PM   #8
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,610 Times in 524 Posts

G.T., I have been loading Berry plated bullets - 115 grain, truncated cone - for use in my shooter Lugers to an OAL of 1.100" for quite sometime. In any 9mm with a chamber cut like the original stepped chamber of the Luger, they work beautifully. In more modern chambers with a short leade, they jam badly as the bearing surface is seated too far forward. For them to work in many newer pistols, the OAL must be reduced to 1.050".

Below is my Luger load.

Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 05-30-2023, 07:19 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Dang, now I guess my AEG comes close to being just a pretty paperweight. No problem, I never intended to shoot with it anyway. Nice work GT, you have elevated nit picking to a fine art. Keep up the good work.
Ron
Unread 05-31-2023, 11:37 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi Ron!

Ron, are you telling me there are still some loose nits out there??? My elves and hobbits are going to be upset, but we will work harder just the same! Best to you my friend! Til......lat'r.....GT...
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-04-2023, 09:02 PM   #11
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Another AEG ambush!

Ahhhh, but this time, we was ready! This AEG drum was in better shape than the other one I worked on, but pop corn fart dry inside. Soooo, clean and lube and reset the mainspring, than off to the test bench! Regular 9mm ball ammo, not a chance in hell will any of them work with this drum! So, I immeadiatly drag out my new AEG Kryptonite!!!!! and that would be FIOCCHI FMJTC and loaded it up! Whamo! Like oats thru a goose or gas thru a funnel! It worked great! And now, I'm starting to think there was an early ammo directive that all this special gear was designed around? This drum was in the 50,000 serial range. That ain't many when you have the attrition of a two, (or more) front war! Anyone else see this with their AEG drums? Kind of interesting... best to all, til.....lat'r....GT...
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-30-2023, 11:46 AM   #12
msgtq
New User

GT i just got my aeg type 1 drum and when i tried to push the spring loaded button to hold the spring tension.
the button and spring popped out it seems the base
of the push button broke off the remaining pieceit looks like a tiny washer can it be repaired or spot welded back on. i dont see how but maybe u know a way. i live in kingman az not to far from you.
msgtq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #13
reiver
User

GT, my recent purchase Numrich Trommel and loader work perfectly for me and were properly lubed.
Is that the norm...or have the improved there product?
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Sotero, I can fix your drum for you, as I have that replacement part on hand! The issue is, I have to disassemble the whole drum to get to it. So, while I have it all apart, I correct any issues and lube it for correct function as well. I've sent you an email outlining what you need to know in sending it to me for the required repair. Best to you, til....lat'r....GT...
Unread 06-30-2023, 01:59 PM   #15
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default revised or not?

Hi Pat, NUMRICH drums were produced and imported in one shot... All of the parts were assembled, and all drum sets were imported.
The drums that were imported had three major failings! First, most all will not fit, second, because of friction traps and rough internal surfaces, all most all would not work! And third, if you were lucky and go one that fit and functioned, it will, in short order, break! That sums up the drums prior to revision.
After revision, the drums fit, 95% of the time, work 99% of the time, and will last and work without breaking for repetitive use at the range.
After the revision process is complete, and the drums tested, a small GT in a circle (can some one post a pic?) is stamped on the outside of the drum shell by the bottom corner where it transitions to the stick mag part of the assembly. If marked, it has been revised, if not, no revision!
See if your drum is so stamped, to tell what to expect in the future.
I am currently working on the next 100+ drums from Numrich, and it is going to take me several months to do them all... Maybe late summer, mid fall... more will be back in stock at Numrich,... best to all, til.....lat'r.....GT
Unread 06-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #16
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The GT stamp - one of my favorites !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTHQ label.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	86928  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GT stamp.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	86929  

Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 06-30-2023, 06:45 PM   #17
reiver
User

Thanks GT and I do have that stamp in place...you did a fine job. Runs full or with just a few rounds.
Fun at the range. I took a pic but Mac Cat beat me and..his photo skills are better than mine.
Good to know...not an inexpensive item,
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to reiver for your post:
Unread 07-01-2023, 07:20 PM   #18
Deputywood
User

I sent my Numrich drum to GT a couple of weeks ago and received it back the next week. I have run three full 32 round strings thru it Unbelievable turnaround. Thanks again GT.

Woody
Deputywood is offline   Reply With Quote