LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 04-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
leucoandro
User

Default Luger DWM Year made?

Hello

I recently bought a Luger and I am trying to determine its age. I have not gotten to actually see the pistol yet, as I am stationed overseas and the pistol was shipped to my father, but I do have some Photo's

It is a DWM Luger. It is 7.65cal (30 Luger). I believe that it is a commercial model. I am trying hard to tell but from the pictures it looks almost like it has a type III frame, but I am not sure. It does not have a Grip Safety. It has a 4 digit serial number under the barrel 58XX, no suffixes noticed. It has what appears to be a single N on the front left of the reciever. On the front right of the reciever it almost looks like a 25. there are no marks on the front top of the reciever.

Can anyone think of any extra information I should add? I am able to do a limited amount right now, but I will get to see it for the first time in a little under a month. So I can give even more information then.

Also anyone have any idea what it is worth? I payed $700 for it. I had been told by the person that I bought it from that it was a 9mm, but when I got it suprise suprise, it wasnt.

Apparently all parts match minus 1. I can not tell if it has been reblued for sure, but the pictures kind of make it look like it has been.

Thanks for any help

Charlie

leucoandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

yes, full serial number would help, plus a picture of the front of the frame and the right side, close and clear of the marking on the right side.

What is a type III frame? I am guessing no stock lug, which would make it either pre 1914 or has been ground off.

7.65mm is less desirable, and costs a lot more to shoot, plus resale value would be less.

Crown N on the left, but it appears to be marked on the right?

What parts do not match? That makes a difference, plus the caliber, maybe a reblue, it is a shooter, so you paid a bit too much, a 9mm should be in that price, I think about $100-$150 too much for a 7.65mm...

still, overall, it is a luger and its yours

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Welcome to the Lugerforum... and It may be a reblue, but it is a nice one... I am guessing early 1920's for production date without further info and photos from you on markings...

Enjoy it. It is a nice one.

I know I speak for the entire forum when I say thank you for your service to our country...

Keep up the good work! We are proud of you all.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
leucoandro
User

Hello

The serial number is 5854. (or that is what I am told)
The information about the Frame type I got from here

>LugerForum Discussion Forums
>> Research Archives
>>> Early Lugers (1900-1906)
>>>> Early Frame Tutorial

It could be the type V Frame though, hard to tell for sure from the pictures.

I am including a couple of Close up's. This is the best I can do at the moment.

Left Side

Right Side

Thanks for the help

Charlie
leucoandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
headspace
New User

If it's a commercial model, it should be marked "GERMANY" somewhere on the frame, probably near the takedown lug. If it is so marked, I'd guess its a M1920 commercial model, most likely a factory rework of an earlier DWM model.
headspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Charlie,

You are correct in your initial assessment that it is a Type III frame, most likely from a 1906 Commercial Luger. When you get a chance to carefully remove the grips, I think you will find that it was originally set up for a grip safety that has subsequently been removed and the thumb safety changed to the later type. And, I wouldnâ??t be surprised if the â??GESICHERTâ? safety marking has been pantographed rather than stamped (but also wouldnâ??t be surprised if it was stamped).

The barrel/receiver group is 1920â??s vintage with the vertical Crown/N proof. I would like to see a clearer picture of the marking on the right side of the receiver. Is the barrel serial numbered and proofed?

It appears that the extractor, ejector, trigger and sides of the forward toggle link have been â??jeweledâ? or â??engine turnedâ? from the circular patterns that I think I see. The gun is beautifully finished and I suspect it is a gunsmithâ??s pet project.

For 700 bucks I think you got a pretty nice Lugerâ?¦not necessarily original but a quality piece none-the-less. Good going GI, I hope your future holds many more Lugers.

Ron
US Army Retired
Unread 05-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
Pete Ebbink
User

Magazine seems to be a Swiss Bern luger magazine for the M1929 luger.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote