LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 09-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Hugh
RIP

Default Just wondering????????

Were the rear toggles for the Artillery Model Lugers manufactured without the rear sight, or were regular toggles used and had the rear sight ground off for use on the Artillery Model?
Unread 09-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
LugerVern
User

I donĂ¢??t know the answer, we should be able to look at the traits of each and tell if they came from the same basic mold. I would look at the under side for differences.

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default rear toggle

I would have to believe that they were run special, and never ever intended to have a rear sight machined on them. They may have used the same forging, but the sight area would be milled off as if it were being cleaned up like any other part.. They may have even used a seperate forging as they would have looked upon this tiny extra bit of machining as a waste when taken times several thousand... These guys didn't waste anything, including time! They were fast and good, and never stopped getting better!... they probably spent more time looking for effective shortcuts then they did making the parts in the first place... "The hard stuff they did right away, the impossible took a little longer!" I believe this would describe the machining situation at that time, as I understand it... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default interesting side note...

In my hometown of Aberdeen South Dakota, there was (still is?) a company called K.O.Lee Manufacturing.? Anyway, during the war years they made tools for making tools... Surface grinders, cutting tools, etc. A gentleman who was a customer of mine in his latter years, was the foreman of the machining shop during the war years. One particular statement of his that I remember pretty well was: "We had the second highest clearance for procuring material in the country, we were just under the manhattan project for materials acquisition." Machine shops were pretty important! As was the items they churned out... Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
LugerVern
User

Yes, they were machined from solid forgings made to the approximate shape, and this is what I am talking about, if the rear sight was never to be installed, the solid forging may have been different also and this may leave signs that we can determine the answer to this question.

Vern
Unread 09-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
LugerVern
User

Tac

We are not talking about the same thing.

All I am really saying is that there might be machining differences between the two toggles that may help answer this question.

Vern
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

Tac,
are we talking about the same Walters book? I am looking at "The Luger Book" Pg 134 and I don't see any anything there that has anything specific to do with an artillery. The book that I am looking at is a black paper back with the artillery on the front. The page 134 has a 1906 with 'Gouv.Kiau.8' on the straps in the lower left hand corner of that page.

John Walters book 'The Luger Story' has a discussion about proof and inspectors marks on page 134.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

It's page 134 of Luger, 1977.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Big Norm, It's a different J.Walter book. Basically the same info, but arranged chronologically, rather than alphabetically. TH
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

Thanks guys. My library runneth over and the book that Tak referred to is one of those that I don't got. Tak is pretty good at relaying information so I thought that I would ask the question.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote