LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 06-29-2002, 07:54 PM   #1
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Post Observed Today: DD Erfurt W/Unit Markings

Today, at a gun show in Fayetteville, Georgia, I examined a 1918/1920 double date Erfurt Luger with unit markings on the front grip strap. The markings were: "S.A.4.F.7." The pistol serial number was 9590a or c. Even under a 2x magnifier, I couldn't make out the suffix letter clearly. It appeared to be poorly stamped.

All parts that I could see were matching but the locking bolt was a replacement. The mag wasn't correct as it had an aluminum base and Nazi proofs on the side. It was an extruded mag. What I found curious about the pistol was the stamping of the Erfurt eagle on various parts including the front of the trigger guard... large, deeply stamped and quite clear.

The holster with the pistol was marked "ERNST SIEGEL"; "DRESDEN"; "1914" on three lines hidden by the flap when closed. The asking price was $1200 which was out of the question for me, having recently bought an Erfurt LP-08 that took care of my liquid funds. IMO, the set may be worth $800 - $1,000 tops. The finish wasn't more than about 80% and thinning.

He also had a 1906 AE in 9mm for $1600 that would have been a better buy. He also had a 1915 DWM E. German rework for $500.... a shooter. I also noted a bullseye wooden base mag.... Navy mag, I believe. It was stuck in a Nazi era Luger that I didn't look at closely as I prefer the Imperial Lugers.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2002, 02:04 PM   #2
Jan C Still
User

Walker
According to 1923 dated Weimar Army directives S.A.4.F.7. approximatley signifies 1. (Prussian) Sanitats-Abteilung 4.Fahrpersonal weapon no.7
Jan
Jan C Still is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2002, 07:37 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Jan C. Still:
<strong>Walker
According to 1923 dated Weimar Army directives S.A.4.F.7. approximatley signifies 1. (Prussian) Sanitats-Abteilung 4.Fahrpersonal weapon no.7
Jan</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jan,

Once more I'm in your debt. Thank you. Perhaps the explaination for the deeply stamped eagle on the trigger guard and other parts is the Prussian connection? I also take it that the unit marks were added after the war. Makes sense.

I plan on dropping an order for Jeff Noll's book in the mail tomorrow. For me, unit markings add significantly to the pistol's history and appeal.

Walker
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote