LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 06-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Out West a 300 meter shot at elk is shooting in a barrel. It's different for the military. A wound shot is often better than a kill.

I can hit a pie plate at 100 meters with my 2 inch .38 special revolver. If it were stocked, it might not be that much better. Certain pistols have limitations stocks won't improve on all that much. Hence the long barrel pistols.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 06-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #22
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Out West a 300 meter shot at elk is shooting in a barrel. It's different for the military. A wound shot is often better than a kill.
Unscoped? The reason I won't go beyond 300 meters is, I can hardly see what I'm shooting at.

Quote:
I can hit a pie plate at 100 meters with my 2 inch .38 special revolver. If it were stocked, it might not be that much better. Certain pistols have limitations stocks won't improve on all that much. Hence the long barrel pistols.
I too can probably hit a pie plate at 100 meters with whatever pistol I can hold inside the10 and 9 rings at 25 meters. I don't know for sure just because I never tried it. But good sight image and trigger control are the keys for achieving that.

The LP.08 has about the same inter sights distance than a regular P.08, so there is no big advantage in that department. As for the barrel lenght, the 9mm Parabellum round can bring all it's accuracy potential out of a 4 to 5 inch barrel, there is no big advantage (outside an increase in muzzle velocity) there.

And, Ironically, the best use for the LP.08 in war, was as a "trench sweeper" at relatively short ranges, the main advantage being, not the long barrel, maybe a bit on the stock (because frankly most people just "suck" at pistol shooting), but mostly because of the high capacity magazine.

The "intended" use for protection of artilley crews (from cavalry raids) proved to be unnecessry due to the way the "war to end all wars" developed. What was true by the time of the "American Secession War" was "Old History" after little more thsn 50 years.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 06-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #23
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Just to be clear, a stock does not change the "accuracy"of a pistol, that is inherent to the basic pistol; What it May do is enable the shooter to hold the pistol steady and take more careful aim.

So only the apparent "accuracy" improves- you could do the same thing with a sand bag or shooting sticks. JMHO.

But I do love the historic "reason" for the existence of the shoulder stocks! That is why I have at least one for each of pistols that will accept one and is "legal" to combine.

I do shoot them on occasion, but find the sights are too close to my eye to really improve my aim; and I don't like all that "action" 12 or 14" from my face. Which is why I don't like a
"bull pup" rifle either. JMHO
The following 3 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: