LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 11-08-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Johnny Peppers
User

Post SRS

Just received my U.S. Martial Arms Collector which is published by Springfield Research Service today. In it were two Model 1900 Test Eagle serial numbers that they uncovered. Serial number 6761 was listed as being with Troop B, 6th Cavalry on June 1, 1903. Serial number 7019 was listed on February 8, 1928 as being stolen.
Serial number 7019 brings up an interesting point in that serial numbers 6361 thru 7108 are listed as having been sold to Bannerman in 1910. Wonder which record could be in error?
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 07:41 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Red face

Very interesting Johnny!!

In my non-smart mind, I can't imagine that there aren't some "odd" serial numbers that were issued or exchanged via DWM reps and the Army.

If this is an accurate depiction of a real record (and I trust it is), then this makes up an interesting and plausible conjecture?
There ARE other serial numbers... And the Bannerman guns are those turned OVER for sale, I assume some were not sold, they were kept by major units or a museum, and a few lost or stolen?
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 07:53 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

Ed,
Both these serial numbers fall within the 6100-7100 serial number range which most use as the range of the Test Eagles. Springfield Research Service digs through the records of the National Archives for serial numbers of U.S. Military small arms. Most records found are merely a snapshot in time, most often showing a record of the serial number showing up at some Army base or other such facility on a certain date. Very few show where the weapon was first issued, and as in the case of Test Eagle serial number 6761 could have merely been a copy of the paperwork transferring the pistol to that particular Cavalry troop.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote